Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #341
scuba1125

Default Re: List of all promo cards

All mentioned cards have been added, plus a promo for Wonderland showing on the promo page of World of Munchkin.

With the Oomba cards, in addition to the numbering, is there still the typical Spyke promo icon?

I'm wondering if this might better fit under the Accessories and Other cards, similar to the cards from the quarter machine
Old 10-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #342
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba1125 View Post
With the Oomba cards, in addition to the numbering, is there still the typical Spyke promo icon?
No, there is not. They have their own icon of three colored squares.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #343
scuba1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
No, there is not. They have their own icon of three colored squares.
Thanks! I have removed those cards from this list and added them to the accessory+ card list
Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #344
ColBosch

That's annoying, given that they don't actually come with an accessory. But to each their own.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #345
Charlie Bussey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba1125 View Post
Thanks! I have removed those cards from this list and added them to the accessory+ card list
Yeah... that's a tough one. I thought about that myself (in how I categorize cards), which now requires us to define "promo" card. Personally, I still consider the Oomba cards promo cards since they can't be purchased and are meant for promotional purposes. This is different from the vending machine cards which could be purchased (or cards that come with various accessories that can be purchased).

While I agree, that typically a "promo card" has the Spyke logo, that's not always the case. Off the top of my head, I can think of several "promo" cards that do not have the Spyke logo:
*Various blank GUAL promo cards (have no logo)
*Henchmonster (version 1) (has no logo)
*Marvel promo cards (have a different logo)
*Adventure Time promo cards (have a different logo)
*GTM related cards (have a different logo)
*Walking Dead Whispers cards (have a different logo)
*Warehouse 23 card (has a different logo)
*Pumpkin King (has a different logo)

Given that not all promo cards have the Spyke logo, and since the Oomba cards did not come with any type of accessory, nor can they be purchased directly, I would lean toward considering them promo cards.

That said, I appreciate the time and effort you've put into maintaining this list for the Munchkin community.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #346
ColBosch

See, but then we have Warehouse 23 and Amazon direct-selling cards with the Promo logo, which further muddies the waters. I include the Vending Machine and Oomba cards on my own personal list of promos.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:22 AM   #347
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
See, but then we have Warehouse 23 and Amazon direct-selling cards with the Promo logo, which further muddies the waters.
We _only_ sell promos to combat the situation. Whenever we do not sell promos, the world pays $5, $10, or more for each promo. By making promos available for sale, we cut off some of the excessive pricing that happens online.

One place we consistently fail to offer promos is eBay. We need to be selling promos on eBay as well, that way anyone searching eBay for Munchkin promos finds a lower priced alternative.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #348
Charlie Bussey
Banned

Quote:
See, but then we have Warehouse 23 and Amazon direct-selling cards with the Promo logo, which further muddies the waters. I include the Vending Machine and Oomba cards on my own personal list of promos.
Yeah, I see your point here, but promo cards were intended to be given away for free to help promote various items, as opposed to cards that are packaged with accessories meant for purchase. When you buy a promo card from Warehouse 23, there's a note there that explains that you aren't paying for the card itself (promo cards are meant to be free), you're paying for the convenience/guarantee of getting a particular card within the free cards that come with your order.

To quote directly: "These are the same cards we give away for free; you are paying for the ability to choose a specific card rather than accepting the whims of fate"

It's a fine line, to be sure, but I try to go with the original intent for the card. Sometimes that may be a bit ambiguous, but as Phil said, the intent behind Warehouse 23 "selling" promos is to help the collecting community.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #349
scuba1125

Quote:
That's annoying, given that they don't actually come with an accessory. But to each their own.
That is fair.

I have a couple reasons for my decision on my personal classification.

Since these cards are specifically from the tournament play (and nowhere else), I see them slightly different than your standard promo card; whereas, the Marvel/AT/NBC promos, while they have a different icon, they are still distributed in a similar fashion to the promos with the Spyke logo.

The other reason is slightly more of a technical reason.
The other list is labeled "Accessories and Such" so that it can cover more than just the cards that are received with the purchase of another item, and with that list I had more foresight to claim the first 2 posts to allow for more space for cards.
With this list, I am continually running into the character cap and having to adjust my formatting so I can continue adding new cards.
So I am taking any out I can to put cards in another place, no matter fiddly that out may be.

Hopefully this helps make my own personal delineation between promos/non-promos a little more clear.

I have been considering starting a fresh thread so that I can claim the first 2 posts and have room to expand, though I don't want to do that until absolutely necessary to avoid there being 2 separate threads to split the crowd of people looking for this list.

If you have any suggestions on ways to reduce character count, let me know.
Whether that's just in format change or omitting something within the post.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #350
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We _only_ sell promos to combat the situation. Whenever we do not sell promos, the world pays $5, $10, or more for each promo. By making promos available for sale, we cut off some of the excessive pricing that happens online.

One place we consistently fail to offer promos is eBay. We need to be selling promos on eBay as well, that way anyone searching eBay for Munchkin promos finds a lower priced alternative.
I agree. eBay has become just another storefront in many ways, and offering products direct from SJ Games would be a way to combat arbitrage.
Closed Thread

Tags
promo, promos