Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
Mrs Ogg

Default New please help

Hi, my family and I are new to munchkin and there are a couple of things we don't understand. One is the hands on the cards, what does that mean and how are they used? And second how many cards do you put out to "play" in front of you and do you do that on your turn or the start of the game and do you refill your hand after your turn? Thank you, your help will be appreciated.

Also I purchased the board game recently and there are pieces missing. I have emailed this website about it and just wondered what do I do next? Thank you

Peta
Mrs Ogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: New please help

Welcome to the game and the forums!

I'll answer your parts issue first: If you haven't contacted orders@warehouse23.com, then do that. They'll help you out.

As for the rest of your questions:

Your character has two Hands, so you can use up to two Hand Items, or one 2 Hands Item. More on that later, as I want to cover something else first.

As for putting cards in play:
  • Normally, you can put one Race, one Class, one Big Item, and any number of small Items (those not listed as Big) in play. Items are the cards which have Gold Piece values listed on them (that includes the phrase "No Value"). You can play Items you can't use, but I'll come back to what that means later. I say normally above because it is the nature of cards to change things, as there are cards which would let you have a second Race, and so on.
  • When you can put cards in play is dependent on the card type: Races and Classes can be played at any time during your turn, or as soon as you get them; Items can be put in play any time during your turn, or as soon as you get them, as long as you're not in combat. Most other types of cards can be played when it makes sense: Monster Enhancers can be played on any Monster in a combat; Go Up A Level cards can be played at any time on any player that can accept the level (basically, Level 8 and below, since Level 9 players have to kill a Monster to go up a Level); Curses can be played at any time on any player; anything I didn't cover can be played any time unless the card says otherwise.

Now, back to the issues I'd said I'd come back to. You'll notice that some cards are marked as Headgear, some are marked as Armor, and some are marked as Footgear. Your character has one head (for Headgear), one body (for Armor), and one pair of feet (for Footgear) to go along with your two Hands. You can only use one each of Headgear, Armor, and Footgear, along with two Hand Items or one 2 Hands Item. All other Items of those types can be put in play, but must be turned sideways. Using game terms, all of your in play Items are carried, and you can get bonuses or special abilities from, what we call using, some of those carried Items.

There is no explicit "draw to fill your hand" phase of the game. Typically, you get more cards when you kick down the door and do not find a Monster or a Curse (other cards can just go into your hand and do not have to be played), loot the room (you do not have to play that card, either), defeat, or help to defeat Monsters, in combat, as Charity at the end of someone else's turn, or your first turn after having died.

Now, I know that the above is a lot to absorb. Fortunately a majority of it is in the rules, so a thorough re-read of the rules should enforce all of what I just wrote, and all I just wrote should help make it easier to pick up on what the rules are saying. However, if you have any follow up questions to what I just said, please ask. That's why we're here. :-)
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
TomGuldin

Hi I'm new to the game also and have a follow up question to this one. I kind of understand the in play versus in hand rules, so if I'm currently a Wizard and have an item useable only by a Thief I can put it inplay but turned sideways because I can't use it. What about Class and Race cards? Can those also be placed in play and turned sideways, so for example you are a Dwarf but have an Elf Race card in play but turned sideways. then could you swap them out during play depending on the situation. Or should any unused Class and Race cards be in your hand and if you swap race you'd have to discard the original and play the one from your hand.

By the way, great game; family was roaring last night playing it. It's amazing how much family will backstab when they can...

Tom
TomGuldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Mister Ed

I'm curious. When the OP says they've purchased the "board game" are they referring to Munchkin Deluxe (card game, with a board just for tracking levels), or Munchkin Quest (full fledged board game version, with rules that are different in several respects from the card game)?

I only ask because I think the answers to some of their questions would be different depending on which it is...
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGuldin View Post
What about Class and Race cards? Can those also be placed in play and turned sideways
No, this rule is only for Itens. The rules define that an Item is something with a Gold Value printed in the card, even if it is zero (No Value).
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I'm curious. When the OP says they've purchased the "board game" are they referring to Munchkin Deluxe (card game, with a board just for tracking levels), or Munchkin Quest (full fledged board game version, with rules that are different in several respects from the card game)?

I only ask because I think the answers to some of their questions would be different depending on which it is...
The question was about missing pieces, and the answer to that will always be the same. :-)
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The question was about missing pieces, and the answer to that will always be the same. :-)
Well, yeah. I just wondered if the game that had missing pieces was the same game they were asking the other questions about.

Probably not, now that I go back and look, due to the use of the word "Also" at the beginning of that second part. Never mind.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote