Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
NubMaster

Default Threats

While another munchkin is in combat, are you allowed to threaten him for treasures? (i.e. saying "If you don't give me three treasures, I will destroy you.")
NubMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
RevBob

Default Re: Threats

Sure. Just don't expect it to work if you never back it up, and don't expect the other players to be eager to help you when you need a hand.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
PK

Absolutely. Threats can be very effective. "If you don't help me in this combat for free, I'll curse away your armor and your sword. I can do it!" But they do tend to paint a target on your back -- I've noticed that very few people like playing with a bully, and that's what threats tend to come across as.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Specter

I like working threats the other way. "If you help him, then I will MAKE SURE that both of you together can't win the fight."

However, again this threat only works if you can put your money where your mouth is. If you can follow through on it at least most of the time though you can bluff your way around it sometimes.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Teddy

Oh, I love doing the inverse of this. "So, you have two options, buddy. I can help you for two treasures....or you and someone else can run away. Your choice."

There's a guy who I only play with a couple of times a month, but every time he joins our group he always asks for my help because he knows nothing good will come of accepting someone else's help. All it took was a pair of +10 enhancers and the Mate card.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
chronojinx

Someone offered to help for just 1 or the 4 teasure. I offer them "I have a better deal, I'll help you for all the teasures". They say to me, "How is that a better deal?!" They continue with their turn with the help of the other. I then commence the backstab. The opponent dead.

Next time that opponent needs help and asks someone else. I tell my opponents, "Are you sure?"

They know what is up my sleeve when I ask them that. haha!
chronojinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronojinx View Post
Someone offered to help for just 1 or the 4 teasure. I offer them "I have a better deal, I'll help you for all the teasures". They say to me, "How is that a better deal?!" They continue with their turn with the help of the other. I then commence the backstab. The opponent dead.
I had a game where someone did something similar to me. I accepted someone else's help, so he played a wandering monster and a few monster enhancers on me as "punishment". What he didn't know, however, was that I had the Friendly card. I think I got something like 8 treasures for that combat.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
chronojinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
I had a game where someone did something similar to me. I accepted someone else's help, so he played a wandering monster and a few monster enhancers on me as "punishment". What he didn't know, however, was that I had the Friendly card. I think I got something like 8 treasures for that combat.
Nice, I'll keep that in mind. We were playing Munchkin Bites, so I didn't worry.
chronojinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheating, combat, rules