Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #41
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Low TL familiarity?

Thank you very much for clearing that up. I don't know what happened to my reading comprehension skill over the last 2 weeks, so I'll just blame it on sleep deprivation. >.>

I think I do, finally, understand.

Bill, do you think it would be fair to also allow your cross-default learning idea for technological skills of a higher TL, as long as they aren't IQ-based and don't normally default to IQ either? Or is that nonsensical?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:58 AM   #42
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Allow me to expand on what I have for "I Lived It!"

Say you took Soldier/TL8 at IQ+2 [8] and I Lived It 7 [7]. That would let you use Soldier/TL1 through Soldier/TL8 at no penalty (because you've been kept up with things from, say, being an Achaean or Akkadian spearman through being a soldier in the current Middle East conflicts).
That's exactly What Anachronistic Training already does. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I have suggested, and some other people have, that there are cases where you might not be able to learn a lower TL skill, because it has fallen into disuse, and the equipment and the textbooks or manuals for it are gone. That's not in the rules as written, but it seems like a reasonable "reality testing" thing.
Quite rare, though, I'd think, especially these days with all the reenactors and experimental archaeologists and suchlike around. Explaining exactly where and how you learned an outdated skill might require a colourful bit of backstory, but a moderately enterprising adventurer who reckons that they'll need this stuff shouldn't usually have too much trouble.

(And I'd assume that an organisation like Infinity Unlimited would have a really interesting training department, stuffed full of amiable eccentrics who are suddenly getting paid generously for passing on their hobbies.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #43
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Quite rare, though, I'd think, especially these days with all the reenactors and experimental archaeologists and suchlike around.
It would make sense in some settings, though. It's perfect for the Uplift setting, where most alien species have trouble believing that technology can even exist below TL9, and never teach or learn anything below TL11.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anachronistic skill, anachronistic training, tech level penalties, technological skills