Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default New Solo Adventure for TFT

A surprise announcement as part of the Four Perilous Journeys Kickstarter: the first new solo adventure for TFT Legacy.

Vampire Hunter Belladonna!

I know this may be announced elsewhere, but I thought it as significant enough to warrant its own headline.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: New Solo Adventure for TFT

New Stretch Goal: FIFTH Perilous Journey

This Goal was unlocked earlier today!

If we pass $21,000 [AND WE DID!!] . . . the campaign turns into FIVE Perilous Journeys. After listening to feedback on what the backers want, I talked with David Pulver, and we came up with some thing for you. If we hit $21,000 the following 32-page solo adventure will be included in both the $20 PDF and $50 Print+PDF adventure groups. ANY pledge tier that includes the original four 16-page adventures will include this fifth perilous journey at no additional cost.

Vampire Hunter Belladonna

You are Belladonna, the young maid and cook at Castle Ironskull—moonlighting as a vampire slayer!

Years ago, the sinister Lord Adrik Blackbird turned your best friend into a vampire. For their own good, you had to stake them both! Somehow, you succeeded—but while those vampires perished, they had already infected others. The bloodsuckers will spread like a plague through the local countryside—unless you hunt them down!

Play as the lethal maid Belladonna (wielder of silver stakes and deadly poisons), or as your own vampire slaying hero or wizard. Travel through the villages and wilderness near Ironskull Castle, hunting vampires (and possibly other monsters). During your quest, you may uncover disturbing rumors of the rise of a new and terrifying master vampire, and the arcane relic they seek. Can you find it first?

Vampire Hunter Belladonna is a programmed adventure for The Fantasy Trip. You won't need a Game Master—instead a system of branching paragraphs directs you from encounter to encounter as you make your own choice. You resolve combat or other encounters using the TFT rules.

In this double-sized 32-page adventure, you will find:
  • Over 200 paragraphs detailing wilderness and village encounters.
  • Multiple new monsters (not just vampires!) and magic items.
  • A "sandbox" wilderness setting that can reward multiple plays.
  • A choice of using the included pre-generated characters or your existing PC.

VAMPIRE HUNTER BELLADONNA is an independent adventure, but it has ties to IRONSKULL CASTLE, so you can use both together in a campaign if you wish. If you think of it as "Vampire Hunter B," we won't mind that either.

If this stretch goal is reached, a fifth token sheet will be made available and included in the "All the Things" level pledges for no additional cost.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
ParadoxGames

That's awesome to hear. I'm not into vampires, but I am into programmed adventures, so I will definitely enjoy this addition! I'm sure this will excite the backers and encourage new ones.

Congratulations on this great day of the campaign!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
That's awesome to hear. I'm not into vampires, but I am into programmed adventures, so I will definitely enjoy this addition! I'm sure this will excite the backers and encourage new ones.

We had a few choices, and Belladonna was actually late in the discussion. That doesn't preclude doing more (but not this project).

We'd talked about (broadly) "Good Luck Storming the Castle!" which would be a lone thief attempting to breach Ironskull Castle to steal a magic item. That has synergies with Ironskull (such as the ability to re-use maps and art) and seemed a good choice.

We also talked about a factional battle between the Indhyna League (a faction from Christopher and J. Edward's two adventures, who pursue magic items) and the Ironskulls (Raelle also seeks magic items). That also had synergies, but was more complicated.

When David brought up Belladonna, though . . . that was a loose end/intriguing backstory that was really underplayed in Ironskull Castle, and would also serve as a vector to hook my 9yo daughter on these things.

And that's how it came to pass. :-)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post

Thanks! And there will be more than vampires- a major draw is that several new monsters will also appear (with counters) in a wilderness-countryside adventure (similar to GRAILQUEST). If you're hunting vampires and it turns out there's Something Else With Big Fangs eating the village children, well, are you going to say no? (Of course, you could...)

As Doug said, you can also use your own character instead of or as well as playing as the young vampire hunter Belladonna. So if you wanted to hunt vampires or other monsters with, say, an arquebus and a load of silver shot, you could do that!

Last edited by David L Pulver; 06-02-2019 at 12:39 PM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:29 AM   #6
Chris Rice

Given the professions of love for Grailquest, I'm surprised this announcement hasn't sparked more excitement. Come on guys, TFT solo adventure!!!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
JLV

I think I expressed my love by bumping my pledge up to the I Want All the Things over on the kickstarter... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I think I expressed my love by bumping my pledge up to the I Want All the Things over on the kickstarter... ;-)
Like John Campbell apparently used to do. A rejection got a letter. An acceptance got a check.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Like John Campbell apparently used to do. A rejection got a letter. An acceptance got a check.
I've always felt that tangible rewards were better than lip-service! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
DouglasCole

Vampire Hunter Belladonna Cover Template

It was almost too tempting to throw an image of Sarah or Kate in there (Buffy or Anna Valerious, who actually looks sufficiently like Belladonna that it might just have to inform my art direction). And I might just have such a thing, but posting it would be a bridge too far.

I'll admit it: this is my favorite color scheme to date with the red.