Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
D67

Default A new generation discovers Melee and I'm loving it

I first discovered Melee and Wizard back around 1980 while in junior high. There weren't many other gamers in my very small, very rural, town so mostly I played solitaire. Though I still have those old games, I purchased the pocket box and ran my daughters, 13 and 11, through a couple of fights. Ms. 13 thought it was OK. Ms. 11, on the other hand, had a blast and asked to play again the next day.

We had a lot of fun beating up on each other and haven't even explored all the rules yet--I held off on talking about missile weapons, pole arms, and HTH to keep things accessible. And we haven't even touched Wizard yet, though she is very intrigued by the counters. I'm experiencing all the fun I had back in the '80s all over again and feeling good to see a new generation of gamers embracing these gems.
D67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: A new generation discovers Melee and I'm loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by D67 View Post
I first discovered Melee and Wizard back around 1980 while in junior high. There weren't many other gamers in my very small, very rural, town so mostly I played solitaire. Though I still have those old games, I purchased the pocket box and ran my daughters, 13 and 11, through a couple of fights. Ms. 13 thought it was OK. Ms. 11, on the other hand, had a blast and asked to play again the next day.

We had a lot of fun beating up on each other and haven't even explored all the rules yet--I held off on talking about missile weapons, pole arms, and HTH to keep things accessible. And we haven't even touched Wizard yet, though she is very intrigued by the counters. I'm experiencing all the fun I had back in the '80s all over again and feeling good to see a new generation of gamers embracing these gems.
Nice one. Also it's good that your daughters still have eyesight sharp enough to play with the Pocket Box edition. I need the big hexes and counters in the Legacy box.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Axly Suregrip

D67, this is awesome. I used to play with my kids. Now that they are adults and married, when they visit we play with them and their spouses.

Death Test is a favorite, even though you'd think it has been worn out. Sometimes I put something different in a room or more.

Let them get the hang of it and let them get some wins (y'all team up against some monsters, etc) before giving DT a shot.

enjoy
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
raniE

Neat! Hopefully she has a long history of playing TFT ahead of her.

I was on the other side of this. I was six years old in spring of 1993, which is when my dad introduced me to The Fantasy Trip. We played an In The Labyrinth campaign for years, and a lot of Death Test. Not that many straight up Melee battles though, which is what I’ve been doing most of since getting hold of the Legacy edition.
raniE is offline   Reply With Quote