Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #21
MikMod

Default Re: Fire in the Temple is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
If anyone liked it, let me know...
Bought it. Love it - great premise and set of characters. Might have to expand it a bit as I seem to have ten possible players! o_O
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #22
nemomeme

Default Re: Fire in the Temple is out!

Thanks for the response, David.

As one data point for this adventure, there were 4 PCs run by 2 players & I went with 32-pointers.

The PCs could also bring one of three NPCs at-a-time as a 5th. If one went down or was severely wounded they could send that hireling "back to camp" just outside the temple. The NPCs were also 32-point heroes chosen by me from among the Legacy Edition Fighter pre-gens (Danira, Edulf & Fuller). These were assumed to have no Talents apart from what they needed for their weapons. I also gave each of the four PCs a healing potion (1 ST).

The builds weren't ideal for the scenario (maybe too much IQ and not enough DX, imo), but they were at least decent. Clever play (some ambushes, trickery & subterfuge) and a bit of luck (I rolled min or close to min damage in two instances of double-damage during the session - hits that would otherwise have, on average, brought a given PC to -3 to -5.

Including a pretty lengthy character creation and kibitzing period, the players got though about 40% of the scenario in an afternoon. I had a lot of rust on me as a TFT GM. I've run at least 500 hours of TFT, but had only played solo or PbP in the last 30 years. We might have otherwise gotten through ~60% of the scenario.

2 of the 3 NPCs were brought to 0 or -1 ST (and back subsequently by the PC Physicker). Those two NPCs are back at camp, and the 3rd is on deck. None of the PCs are dead, but two have 3 or fewer ST. The encounter area is now on high alert & if the PCs continue from here, they are going to run into some serious resistance. One NPC got away from an ambush. I've responded to the PCs actions and some rooms have vacated out and are now waiting "in force" with allies in other rooms. Hopefully the PCs will leave, rest up and and come back in a couple weeks for another foray rather than push things.

This is a solid and fun adventure. It read as the most interesting to me of the ones which have so far been released for the new edition & at-table play is holding up that initial impression. A couple of the other adventures look solid as well. I may simply steal the best bits from them for my own creations rather than run them straight.

You can't really tell until you play them. I've had a good time with some of the worst D&D modules ever written; you just need to adapt them to the group and change a few things either on the fly or ahead of time. But good base material really helps carry the weight. Fire in the Temple is very evocative and gives you a lot to work with.

Based on my limited experience, I'd say you might want 4-5 34-or-better-pointers if you hoped to get through the whole thing in one go. But less experienced PCs might have some luck if they are smart and take small bites.

edit: So thanks for your part in a successful return to The Fantasy Trip! The other players are eager to play more. :)

Last edited by nemomeme; 06-02-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Final comment at end.
nemomeme is offline   Reply With Quote