Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2017, 02:21 AM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Callous

Callous protagonists tend to be anti-heroes, I think, but they don’t have to be complete monsters, and they can be, yes, pragmatists or people who’ve adapted to unrelentingly tough jobs. They can be the type to provoke a “Thank God she’s on our side” reaction — the unit sniper or stealth killer — and they can project a chilly professionalism that’s simultaneously frightening and impressive; “He’s a real b*st*rd but he always gets the job done, no fuss”.

All of which said, they’re not necessarily the most interesting characters to watch or roleplay. Some degree of empathy is needed for character complexity in an action story; someone who just gets the job done can be a bit of a playing piece or a plot mechanism. But the James Bond movies still get an audience.

I play Antoine as a bit of a dry comedy character, at least in my head. He doesn’t relate to people terribly well, but that can be funny, and I’ve focussed on giving him abilities that Just Get The Job Done, without anyone else having to understand what the job is.

(It’s “becoming a supernatural archetype in his own right”, in fact.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
callous, darker and edgier, disadvantage of the week