Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:00 AM   #1
Mitb

Default What to do with INF

So I was to paint my infantry but I’m afraid that repeated removal or placing on the bases will damage the paint on both. Any ideas for how to avoid this?
Mitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: What to do with INF

I decided to replace the SJG provided bases with clear, 1/32" thick x 3/4" diameter laser cut plexiglas discs. I found a vendor on eBay and got 300 for about $22. The figures will get glued to the discs.

The 42 INF in each box break down to nine sets of 3/1, and five each 2/1 and 1/1 for making change.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
The 42 INF in each box break down to nine sets of 3/1, and five each 2/1 and 1/1 for making change.
I like that breakdown. There are already 14 disks in each army, so I just need 5 more plastic disks for my 1/1s. I knew there was a reason I got a 3D printer. :) (It's not great, but it will do adequate disks.)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Mack_JB

There are multiple options for plastic discs on eBay. From China, a variety of colors of "bingo chips" or other game related discs.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
TheAmishStig

That beats Litko's price. 1.5mm (1/16") x 3/4" acrylic circles there are $12 for 100.

I really like the provided discs, but think I might do something similar. After just a couple insert-and-remove cycles [playing with what figures to put in what slot to look nice], the plastic already has stress lines in it.

Which in turn leaves me wondering what to do about Set 2's GEV-PCs. Might do 3 loaded and 3 unloaded, or 3-3-2-1-0-0 [to do loaded, empty, and make change], which would give another 3-2-2-1-1 on regular bases. Dunno yet.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Mack_JB

For the GEV-PC, I will likely use a strip of thin clear styrene, cut to fit within the "nest" where the INF are supposed to stand, with the INF glued on them. Then that strip will be able to be taken out and moved around as needed, replaced on the game board with a disc once they dismount, etc.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Mack_JB

I've next been looking at options for making proxy Engineers and Heavy Weapons Teams. The stock counter artwork for either shows the regular infantry figure with gun held in right hand, so just re-use that plastic mini singly and add some color (or a different color base) to signify they are an Engineer unit.

Same goes for HWT, but there I'd use a single mini with the larger gun in the left hand, and perhaps add a small bit of 'something' to represent their one shot weapon.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Dave Crowell

Metal HWT are still available from WH23. No bases though.

For Engineers and Marines a spot of different colour would work, and still allow them to be used as regular INF in scenarios without the specials.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Same goes for HWT, but there I'd use a single mini with the larger gun in the left hand, and perhaps add a small bit of 'something' to represent their one shot weapon.
Just use a Carl Gustav or similar in a close scale?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
adm

Maybe you could use the bases, the infantry pieces show affiliation, red bases are infantry, blue marines, green engineers, glow in the dark HWT etc.