Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Brady

Default Just bought Battle Box, have a few questions

I’m an old school Ogre / GEV player (* pictured is my copy of Ogre that Steve Jackson signed at GenCon in 1984).

I just picked up Battle Box because I thought playing with the minis looked cool. I have a few questions though.

1) I received two copies of the ceasefire collapse scenario (* pictured below) and no others. Is this what I should have received?

2) The only map I received was a larger version of the GEV map. I would also like to play the original Ogre game. Is there a larger version of the Ogre map, too? How can I get it?

3) I see that there are three scenario books available online. Will these be compatible with my large GEV map? If so, I will happily buy them.

I am not terribly interested in the cardboard Ogre figure set, because I like the minis. What are my best options short of buying designer edition or 6th edition?

TIA!

* couldn’t attach my photo

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 10-12-2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Please don't use red text.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
madhopper50

Default Re: Just bought Battle Box, have a few questions

Do the mini's fit on the GEV map that comes with the game?
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhopper50 View Post
Yes. The GEV map is fine, I’d just love the Ogre map too.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Mack_JB

Right now the only way to snag a copy of the "orange" Ogre map is to buy Ogre 6E:

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/

Or haunt eBay and see if you can turn up an extra copy of the map alone that someone may be selling. Buying 6E should be worth it anyway, as you also get various tokens, terrain, and other odd counters that the minis don't yet cover.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
madhopper50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Right now the only way to snag a copy of the "orange" Ogre map is to buy Ogre 6E:

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/

Or haunt eBay and see if you can turn up an extra copy of the map alone that someone may be selling. Buying 6E should be worth it anyway, as you also get various tokens, terrain, and other odd counters that the minis don't yet cover.
I have 6E & Miniature Set #1. I asked SJGINFO and they quickly replied, so I'm ordering Battle Box!
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
TheAmishStig

If you do end up biting the bullet and getting an O6E rather than looking for someone parting out a game, it's worth snagging a copy of Reinforcements. In terms of chipboard it adds most of the units not in the O6E box (LT, LGEV, SHVY, MHWZ, GEV-PC) and a set of PanEuro cybertanks / Combine conventional units that matches the Combine cybertanks / PanEuro conventionals in those two sets. For your purposes, it adds some more overlays and comes with a pile of Orange Map scenarios.

The scenario books are going to make a lot of references to G2 (GEV Map 2), S1 (Shockwave Map 1), and S2 (Shockwave Map 2)...but are compatible, yes. I believe all 3 books have now been updated (if needed) to reflect the ODE-and-later rules / balance changes.

If full-bore wargaming is interesting...Ogre Miniatures (the ruleset) just got a Second Edition; the physical books should be available next month; Preorders are up on W23. That would allow you to play with regular wargaming terrain in addition to playing on the classic hex maps, plus adds some rules specific to free movement.

---------------------

Right now pickings for in print maps are pretty slim. What I know is in print:

Original Map:
- Available in Ogre 6th Edition, printed on mounted (board-game thickness) board.

G1:
- Available in the Battle Box, printed on poster paper.

M1:
- Available standalone on Warehouse 23, printed on a 2mm neoprene mat.

---------------------

If you're willing to shop around for second-hand / part-out components:

Original Map:
- Contained in ODE, printed on mounted board.
- Sold in 3-packs via the Tournament Set.

G1, G2, S1, S2:
- Contained in ODE, printed on thicker mounted board.
- Sold as a group via the Giant Battlefield Set

---------------------

What Drew (the current line editor) has suggested is in the pipe, or has been confirmed in the pipe via Kickstarter campaigns:

M2 (Iron Mountain):
- Kickstarter has closed, Backerkit / Preorder opens approx. Monday. Neoprene Mat.

M3:
- Kickstarter has closed, Backerkit / Preorder opens approx. Monday. Neoprene Mat.

G1, G2:
- Could be released as a PDF alongside Ogrezine 2...backers are getting a copy, and I don't see why they wouldn't put them up for sale. you would have to print them yourself (SJG's PDFs come with a license for a single printed copy), but this would get you a G2 to go with your G1.

G3, S3 ("Battlefields" maps):
- Suggested to be contained in the upcoming Battlefields kickstarter. Launch date TBD, rumor has it they'll be on the same thick mounted board as the ODE G/S maps.

And since I forgot to get around to it before now: Welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhopper50 View Post
Everything but the Ogres; they take up 2 hexes. [Howitzer corners overlap a little, but not enough to get in the way]
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/

Last edited by TheAmishStig; 10-11-2018 at 03:59 PM.
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Cat

Welcome back!

If you do jump in on the Ogrezine Kickstarter when the Backerkit opens next week or so, there is a printed compilation of the 3 scenario books through that too.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Welcome back!

If you do jump in on the Ogrezine Kickstarter when the Backerkit opens next week or so, there is a printed compilation of the 3 scenario books through that too.
This is inaccurate information. The compilation will not be offered in Backerkit. We will make the book available in the future through Amazon.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
This is inaccurate information. The compilation will not be offered in Backerkit. We will make the book available in the future through Amazon.
Will late pledgers be able to join through backerkit? If so, then they would have access to the KS price at Amazon then?

I'm already in, just asking for others!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Will late pledgers be able to join through backerkit? If so, then they would have access to the KS price at Amazon then?

I'm already in, just asking for others!
The BackerKit page will be open to anyone, even those who missed the project.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote