Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
lord buss

Default limitation: one city

i want to build a power that based on spell, that lays on one specific city.
im not sure how to price it. i dont know what percent of the world this city's size is, and i dont think that it is the right why to price it.
the limitation on the spirit of place powers is (Only in home area, -10%). but this price is low because the spirit is already lives only in one place and almost cant leave it.
the limitation on priest of city god powers is -20%. im not sure if it includes the sense of duty. its low sanctity outside the city, so basically -5 all the time.
druidic power modifier is -10%. the penalty is -3 for cities, -5 for pollution, and even in absolutly poisoned and empty places it works, although the penalty is huge. so, what do you say, what the modifier should be if the ability (mostly regeneration), dont work outside the city at all? -20%, -30%, -40%.
Mild phobia: complex gurps rules [-1]

Last edited by lord buss; 11-29-2016 at 04:19 AM.
lord buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: limitation:one city

The value of this limitation is campaign dependent. It depends on how much time will be spent in the city compared to the whole. "One World" in star wars is likely to give a hefty discount, while "Only in Chicago" in Dresden files is probably not worth very much.

The key to pricing this is the accessibility limitation from powers. It has a table that converts percentage spent to a limitation number. Don't stress it too much either: being off by +/-10% probably isn't a big deal.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
whswhs

There's a range. If you live in the city, and have your adventures there, it's a pretty minor constraint, as Eric says, and -10% is about as minimal as it's worth bothering with. At the other extreme, if you habitually have adventures outside the city, and have to go back there to heal, it's effectively no different from having a single spring you have to bathe in, or a single temple you have to visit—it's just "a place far away I have to return to." That's sort of like a Rare Trigger (p. B115), and in fact you might use the -40% for a Rare Trigger as a fair value. Or, at least, as a fair limit; if air travel is common a -20% or -30% limitation might be better even if you spend much of your time outside the city.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
malloyd

All "only in a certain place" limitations suffer from this problem - their value necessarily depends on how often the character with the limitation can reasonably expect to be in the place, which is indeterminate.

The other important point I like to bring up in these cases that it isn't always obvious to everybody is that this sort of thing tends to split the party. It's worst when you have characters that *can't* go places others can, and not so bad for a few traits that only work in certain places, but there's is a point beyond which the difference between unable to leave and able to but so crippled nobody would becomes fairly academic.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
lord buss

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
All "only in a certain place" limitations suffer from this problem - their value necessarily depends on how often the character with the limitation can reasonably expect to be in the place, which is indeterminate.
i know. the question is how it should be priced compared to city god priest's power modifier.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord buss View Post
i know. the question is how it should be priced compared to city god priest's power modifier.
Well, how are you pricing that? The same concerns apply to both the power modifier and the limitation - how often will the issue arise in play?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
lord buss

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
how often will the issue arise in play?
as often as its arise when the -10% is low sanctity everywhere that is not in the city or territory that the city rules - city god priests modifier.
the question is, whan should be the cost if the ability don't work at all, rather then have penalties. and also there are no high sanctity zones for it.

Tags
advantages, limitations