Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Adelus

Default Converting Dice directly into Points?

I was wondering how one could make attacks that deal a certain, set ammount of damage; say, not 3d, but always 11.

I tried looking at Modifying Dice + Adds as a baseline, but I don't know how well that would work.

P.S. And if there is a solution, how would I incorporate it into GCA, if possible?
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Converting Dice directly into Points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus
I was wondering how one could make attacks that deal a certain, set ammount of damage; say, not 3d, but always 11.
Did you see the rules for Partial Dice (B62)? Each +1 damage is treated as .3 dice for purchasing purposes, so an attack which does exactly 11 damage would be the cost equivalent of 3.3 dice of whatever type. This represents a small premium over the normal cost, due to the slight advantage gained in knowing the exact damage potential of your attack.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
whswhs

Quote:

I tried looking at Modifying Dice + Adds as a baseline, but I don't know how well that would work.

P.S. And if there is a solution, how would I incorporate it into GCA, if possible?
Two dice equals seven points. So figure the cost of a 2d attack, and divide by 7 to get the cost per point.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Adelus

Thanks for the ideas!

I did find, on page 118 of Powers, about taking a 0d+X attack for flat damage using partial dice. I think this might work better with what I'm doing.
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
PK

Quote:

Points x 0.3 = Equivalent dice of damage

So an attack that did exactly 20 points of damage would cost the same as a 6d attack.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
This is already part of the Basic Set data file in GCA (on account of it's already part of the Basic Set). Add your innate attack, and check out the mods.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
AstralRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
Points x 0.3 = Equivalent dice of damage

So an attack that did exactly 20 points of damage would cost the same as a 6d attack.
Rearranging that equation gives Points = 3.(3) dice, which is off. The expected value of a single die is 3.5, so a better conversion factor would be Points*(2/7) = dice. By this, 20 points would be about 5.7 dice, which rounds to 6, but for larger numbers, like 200 points, it would be 57.1, which rounds to 57, compared to 60 dice by your method.
AstralRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Gollum

The stats (average results) are:
1d = 3.5
2d = 7
3d = 10.5
4d = 14
5d = 17.5
6d = 21
7d = 24.5
8d = 28
Which gives number of dice x 3.5.

But why making attacks that makes a fixed amount of damage? On living (and especially on moving) creatures, it is impossible to make two times exactly the same wound. A very feeble difference of angle of attack often results in a very different injury... That's why damage is rolled in GURPS. Furthermore, it adds unpredictability, which gives the feeling of something more living...
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRunner
Rearranging that equation gives Points = 3.(3) dice, which is off.
There is nothing "off" about this equation. I'm not making a suggestion here. I'm quoting the already established rules for this, which can be found in GURPS Characters under the Innate Attack advantage.

Apparently, the GURPS designers feel that being able to do a set amount of damage instead of a random amount is a slight advantage, and hence costs more. If you disagree with this, feel free to use a house rule instead, but this is the RAW.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
AstralRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
There is nothing "off" about this equation. I'm not making a suggestion here. I'm quoting the already established rules for this, which can be found in GURPS Characters under the Innate Attack advantage.
The rule in question is for partial dice, not constant valued attacks. Even if it were, your equation is incomplete, since it fails to mention that 1 point is only 0.25 dice. I'd say that extrapolating a rule for partial dice in this way is most certainly a suggestion.

Personally, though, I'm suspicious of any mathematical guidelines provided by the developers, since these are the same people who thought that the rounding method used by almost everyone ever (excepting those whose highly precise work requires the round-to-even method) wasn't good enough for them...
AstralRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifying dice + adds