Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Paranormal wounding modifier

Hello everyone!

So, I would like to know what cost modifier would a "paranormal" modifier on Toxic Damage be worth.

"Paranormal" toxic damage cannot be cured by non-paranormal medicine. Only Esoteric Medicine can act as First Aid/Physician on paranormal injuries.

Esoteric Medicine can be used as First Aid on any wounds without any equipment modifiers (positive or negative) but cannot be used as Physician for natural wounds (any injury not inflicted by a Toxic Paranormal source).

HP lost to Paranormal Injury are healed normally by natural recovery, but are healed last (That is, all injuries caused by anything other than Toxic Paranormal damage must be healed before Toxic Paranormal damage).

Paranormal healing (psychic healing, healing spells/potions...) work normally on Toxic Paranormal damage except for the previously cited limitation (all other damage is healed first).

Paranormal damage is a modifier to Toxic Damage for injuries caused by necromantic/psychic/other effects that are literally paranormal in nature. The attack itself must be paranormal in nature, even if the origin is paranormal, if the damage is inflicted by normal means such as conjuring venom (normal Toxic damage as per the conjured venom), or using a cryokinesis attack (Burning damage with whatever modifiers an extreme cold such as liquid nitrogen would cause) it is not Paranormal Damage. Psionic damage to your opponent's mind, or necromantic damage, or a damaging curse, or similar attacks would count as Toxic Paranormal damage.

How would you price a Paranormal modifier to an Innate Attack in a universe where they are well known and Esoteric Medicine is common and such attacks would be discovered on an autopsy? And in an universe where it is unknown except to a select few and as such it's the preferred covert assassination weapon where unless you have an expert in paranormal things on hand to examine the body you end up with a dead body with no visible cause of death?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Paranormal wounding modifier

Cosmic, Lingering is +100% see B103 and Power Ups 4 page 8.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Toxic Attacks with Cosmic (Lingering, +100%) also require Cyclic. It is untreatable during the normal cycles of the attack. A good example of such an attack would be the following:

Death Curse: 1 point Toxic Attack (Cosmic, Lingering, +100%; Cyclic, 41 cycles, 1 day cycle, +400%; Malediction 3, +200%; Symptoms, Blindness, -1/2 HP, +100%; Symptom, Terminally Ill (One month), -2/3 HP, +100%) [10].

You possess the ability to deliver a potent death curse from a distance that is incurable by modern medicine. Your victims usually suffer Blindness in less than a week and their bodies usually erupt with aggressive cancers after a week. Within less than six weeks, the cancers usually consume them from the inside out if opportunistic infections do not kill them beforehand.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Toxic Attacks with Cosmic (Lingering, +100%) also require Cyclic.
Got a reference on that one?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Got a reference on that one?
It doesnt though I can see how its remembered that way. From Basic
Your attack has an enduring effect
that only another Cosmic power can
counteract; e.g., a burning Innate
Attack that sets fires that water cannot
extinguish, or a toxic Innate Attack
that inflicts Cyclic (below) damage
that medical technology cannot halt.

However it made me actually look up the modifier and the correct answer was not Lingering but Unhealing, +100% from PowerUps, same page as Lingering.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Plane

"Unhealing damage" on page 8, good to emphasize the name unique from the Disadvantage.

Using the treatment option...
Natural healing – that is, the wound will heal normally, but nothing else (except Very Rapid Healing) can accelerate the recovery.
The version WAWS is describing might be worth fewer than 100% though since he specifies other treatment options...
Treatment from one specific power source (e.g., magical, psionic, or divine).
"Paranormal healing (psychic healing, healing spells/potions...) work normally on Toxic Paranormal damage" means EITHER psychic or magic work... in addition to natural healing this means there are THREE "valid treatment categories" when +100% is priced based on ONE.

There's also this "healed last" thing which I'm not sure how to approach. That's probably worth extra points (not sure how many) since the requirement of healing non-paranormal damage first would mean, for example, that if you had 1 HP lost from a different kind of unhealing attack (say one which could only be healed by surgery) that this would inhibit healing the paranormal damage indefinitely too.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:35 AM   #7
WaterAndWindSpirit

There's also the "is it good as covert assassination method because short of someone familiar with paranormal damage you have a body with no visible cause of death?" question you're all sidestepping. Abilities inflicting paranormal Damage ought to be more expensive if they don't turn up on a regular autopsy and short of the spooks like CIA doing the autopsy the authorities don't know foul play was involved, right?

But thanks for answering the question of how much the attack would cost in a vacuum.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote