Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #31
Gef

Default Re: Character Points: Methods?

>>>I like the MVP idea. How many players do you generally have? Do you think there is a minimum number of players it works well with?

Typically 5-6, have had 3 to 10.

>>>I like these ideas. I assume the player runs his idea of where to build past you before going in, to avoid worldbuilding where you've laid secrets.

More like I say, "I have Aurgoland, Gallenia, and Bromeny worked out, but I've hardly even thought about these other kingdoms, so they're all fair game." One thing about player contributions: If you solicit them, you have to be flexible enough to incorporate them with only minor changes to make them fit.

One I forgot to mention: You can contribute a major NPC. I don't need point-based write-ups, can handle that myself. I need to know how he's connected to the story, what resources are at his disposal, and what his motivations are. When the NPC comes up, I let the contributor bring him to life through role-play, usually with a quick sidebar beforehand, saying "You have to work in this info, but you can ad lib the rest."

>>>I'm also considering using separate points (Plot Points, or PP) for use with Buying Success and Player Guidance...

There's precedent. Some people like to hand out some kind of token at the beginning of each session which the player can redeem in this way. It's not my style for GURPS - when I want that kind of thing, I run diceless.

>>>The players are accustomed to D&D, and the last campaign had a pretty high advancement rate (averaged a level/session!). Would that factor into your CP rewards...

Not what they're used to so much as the style I'm going for. Sometimes I run with low starting totals (like 50) and high awards for that "heroic fantasy" pace of advancement.

Remember, points are basically a form of power over the story, but not the only form. There's also situational advantage. The guy in the control center with his finger on the self-destruct button has power at that moment independent of his point value. The character defined by his relationship to the campaign setting (grew up in town, has living relatives) has more power than the orphan defined by his racial template and combate reflexes, and an Enemy automatically makes you important even though you get disad credit. The campaigns where I give low point awards tend to focus on other kinds of power.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote