Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #641
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

"Oh, Camofluer! French, not Latin! I've never heard that application of the term. Yes, I suppose it will do just that, though it will perform better in tall grass than in jungle undergrowth. Do you speak French then?"

You believe you are good with beasts? I can certainly send you to Jagdees. It will strain the organization less, and while a trained handler would have been better, you do seem to have a knack.

OCC: Huh, his animal handling default for beasts of burden is an 8.. which is untrained, but only just. A typical newbie stable hand with a single point has a 9.

There isn't much steam wafting past Peter. Attempts to form it into an object are completely fruitless... he can't even shape the steam.

When its time to pick up the food, he is able to get a bowl of some good hot stew. The men seem to enjoy the food immensely. Mr. Alton Stanway (the lanky archeologist) calls for Peter to follow to Mr. Jagdees.

Jagdees is quite short, a little fat, and is missing his left foot, using a wooden peg and a crutch. He dresses European style, unlike many of the the darker men on the expedition.

"Jagdees, I may have a replacement groom for you. He's never worked with horses, but he's good with dogs, and he's enthusiastic."

Jagdees looks over Peter, appraising him. "Lad, you want this job? You willing to work hard?"

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #642
the_matrix_walker

When asked, Peter says "No, I don't speak French, that word just gets used in English a lot in my home." He nods in confirmation at the statement that he thinks he is good with animals. If pressed about his home, Peter will try to get away with just saying he's from far away.

--Getting his stew

Peter would ask if they have something suited for Goliath and share his stew with the animal if not. After failing with the steam, Peter enjoys his stew and plays with the dust and dirt on the ground a bit, trying to see if he can manipulate the dust clouds, and at some point, he will scoop a little ash out of the fire pit and see if it will work with floaty-ashes when he tosses them into the air. He's wondering what it is about the smoke that makes it able to be manipulated when other substances are not.

--Meeting Mr. Jagdees

"Pleased-ta-meetcha!"
"Yes sir! I'm a hard worker and I'll do my best. An' if you give me the job, I come with a great helper!" and he signals Golaith's hop and gentle bark. "I bet I can teach him to help control other critters like a sheepdog!"

If uninterrupted, he will then start showing off a number of Goliath's tricks before asking about his responsibilities.

Spoiler:  
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #643
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
When asked, Peter says "No, I don't speak French, that word just gets used in English a lot in my home." He nods in confirmation at the statement that he thinks he is good with animals. If pressed about his home, Peter will try to get away with just saying he's from far away.
After Peter's initial evasion, Mr. Stanway doesn't push him further, but instead speculates about where in the world that may be, settling at last on somewhere in Canada.

Quote:
Peter would ask if they have something suited for Goliath and share his stew with the animal if not.
Goliath is pointed to the rubish heap behind the camp kitchens. The food has been very carefully processed, so there isn't much to eat in the pile, but if pushed Goliath should be able to find at least something...

Quote:
After failing with the steam, Peter enjoys his stew and plays with the dust and dirt on the ground a bit, trying to see if he can manipulate the dust clouds, and at some point, he will scoop a little ash out of the fire pit and see if it will work with floaty-ashes when he tosses them into the air. He's wondering what it is about the smoke that makes it able to be manipulated when other substances are not.
The dust doesn't react at all. He thinks he can get the ashes to swirl and move, but not to congeal into a solid form.

Quote:
"Pleased-ta-meetcha!"
"Yes sir! I'm a hard worker and I'll do my best. An' if you give me the job, I come with a great helper!" and he signals Golaith's hop and gentle bark. "I bet I can teach him to help control other critters like a sheepdog!"
"Hmmm... You do have the dog well trained. You'll be feeding, grooming, cleaning after, and guiding the horses when we move. We have a lot of work to do. Finish your stew. And keep that dog out of the way.

The work to do is in this case mostly putting up temporary fencing and a few temporary structures. Peter doesn't get to work with the actual horses much. The other grooms speak English, but they also speak some local language. There is easily enough work to keep them busy until dinner. Jagdees works with them, moving slowly on his bad foot, mostly doubling checking everything and shouting instructions.

Goliath is a good dog, mostly staying near Peter, but out of the way. He disappears occasionally, and shows up with a dead rat in his mouth at one point.

After dinner, Peter is assigned a tent with the other grooms. He doesn't have a hammock though, the guy he replaced is still using his. Jagdees asks how he was sleeping to make it this far.

Spoiler:  

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #644
the_matrix_walker

Peter tries to do a good job and get to know his new co-workers.

When they point Peter to the garbage, he shares his stew with Goliath.

He tries to find something to use as a simple platform with a rope attached to the front two corners so that Goliath can bite on the rope and drag the platform like he used to do pulling Peter along on his sled when he was smaller. Every now and then while working on the fencing, he tries to get Goliath to drag the platform up to him with the smaller tools and a jar of nails loaded up.

A little later on after Goliath brings the rat, Peter cooks it on the fire and gives it back to the dog. He plays with the smoke some while the rodent cooks, and makes cooking tools, lasting just long enough to flip the meat or poke the fire.

When questioned about his previous sleeping arrangements, He just kind of shrugs and says, "I've just helped out when I could and found a spot... I don't sleep in the same spot very often, not since I left home." and he chokes up a bit, trying to contain his emotion at the thought of home.

When Peter goes to bed, he thinks about the smoke creatures, and about what he knows about biology from school... it's not his best subject. But he ponders the kind of critter he should try to make when he finally tries. Goliath lets out a bit of a groan and turns over on the ground, and Peter thinks... "duh."
Old 04-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #645
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Peter tries to do a good job and get to know his new co-workers.

He tries to find something to use as a simple platform with a rope attached to the front two corners so that Goliath can bite on the rope and drag the platform like he used to do pulling Peter along on his sled when he was smaller. Every now and then while working on the fencing, he tries to get Goliath to drag the platform up to him with the smaller tools and a jar of nails loaded up.
The other grooms are a little standoffish at first, but Peter's positive attitude wins them over, and they start to smile when they see him and his dog. Today is a very busy, and hard work is the order of the day. Goliath is able to make himself somewhat useful, fetching various things. There isn't a lot of time to chat, but there is something bonding about working hard together.

note: the fence is made with rope, not nails. At least the majority of it is.

Quote:
A little later on after Goliath brings the rat, Peter cooks it on the fire and gives it back to the dog. He plays with the smoke some while the rodent cooks, and makes cooking tools, lasting just long enough to flip the meat or poke the fire.
He finds that when waiting a while between creating things that makes it easier. He's able to make the solid objects, though it feels really weird when they fall apart in his hands. They're quite handy for cooking the meat.

Quote:
When questioned about his previous sleeping arrangements, He just kind of shrugs and says, "I've just helped out when I could and found a spot... I don't sleep in the same spot very often, not since I left home." and he chokes up a bit, trying to contain his emotion at the thought of home.
Gunkar, one of the folks he's been working with (and will now be sharing a tent with) says "So you plan on finding another spot to hide away in?"

Old 04-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #646
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Gunkar, one of the folks he's been working with (and will now be sharing a tent with) says "So you plan on finding another spot to hide away in?"
"Naw, if I keep doing this job, I'll stay in the tent."

Peter finds some time the next day after work to attempt his first critter, and tries to make a mini-Goliath, he mentally names it "Runt" and thinks about the dog's nature as well as his structure as he manipulates the smoke.

Are there others who seem to enjoy this hobby? Has he seen anyone else doing it since the first person who showed him? Does anyone else seem to be using it for other applications, like Peter's makeshift cooking utensils?
Old 04-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #647
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Naw, if I keep doing this job, I'll stay in the tent."
I was going to bring up sleeping on the ground in the jungle... but that's old hat for Peter.

His normal modus opperandi, I believe, is to make a raised platform of sticks so that water will pass under him. Right now, that's what he's going to have to live with until he gets his hands on a hammock.

The other grooms have much more time to talk now. There seven of you, once you count Hardeep, who has several broken ribs from being kicked. Eight if you count Jagdees, but he's off doing something with the leaders of the camp.

The grooms are quite eager to ask Peter about himself. Most of the attention is directed at the dog, with questions about his breed, and the tricks he can do. There are surprisingly no questions about where Peter is from.

As the evening wears on, they take to gambling with round cards made of cloth, and discussing how they missed the last time they were in town. Sometimes they'll switch into the local language for a few sentences.

That night, Peter dreams of old ruins in the jungle... specifically a perfect stone circle with a firepit in the center. the carved stone platform is over 50 feet across. symetric patterns criss cross it.

Quote:
Are there others who seem to enjoy this hobby? Has he seen anyone else doing it since the first person who showed him? Does anyone else seem to be using it for other applications, like Peter's makeshift cooking utensils?

Peter can sense the activity from a few dozen yards away. Only a few people seem to do it, but they do it repeatedly. Animals are favored over tools. Sometimes the animals are sent on tasks, other times they're just entertainment.

Most of the time they use their established tools: this seems to be because going over to a fire is somewhat inconvenient, and they have the tools they need. He does catch one man make a weird-looking knife and a curved needle at one point. He also runs across a man who seems to be a smith. That man only used his ability once, but he uses it many times in rapid succession, conjuring up various tools.

Quote:
Peter finds some time the next day after work to attempt his first critter, and tries to make a mini-Goliath, he mentally names it "Runt" and thinks about the dog's nature as well as his structure as he manipulates the smoke.
How big does he try to make runt?

Old 04-23-2021, 12:56 AM   #648
the_matrix_walker

The "Runt" is about the size of a housecat. While he creates it, he focuses on Goliath's personality as well as his form. He takes his time and wants to see how long he can keep the critter around.

He's especially curious about if he feels an ongoing connection, and how autonomous the creature is. He will give it commands he would give to Goliath to see if it kept that part of his nature, and he will try to give it mental commands to see if he is connected to the magic in that way.

He will seek out the other smoke shapers by the fire and discuss his first critter... He will bring it along if it lasts long enough, or try again if a little time has passed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Peter will gather some wood to make himself a riser to get off the ground and away from moisture and bugs, but if the room in the tent is tight for him and Goliath, he will look around just outside of camp to see if there is a good spot to build them a better shelter.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #649
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Runt" comes out looking a lot like a miniature Goliath, just smaller.

The creature immediately starts wagging its tail and being friendly to peter, as well as watching him for commands. However, when the verbal commands come, Runt seems confused. The mental commands he responds to readily. As long as they are simple enough.

Peter finds the smoke shapers playing their game again. They won't discuss it until the fight is over. Runt lasts through the end of the game. Peter can feel a weird connection to the dog the entire time. They're quite surprised to see runt. "This is your first animal? No. You must be playing a joke. This cannot be your first. Its very good. very solid. You are sure you do not mediate?"

"Next time, you should change something. If you want to, you can play in our little game. But a normal dog will not do well. You'll need to improve it!"

There is room in the tent for him and his riser. Goliath sleeps near Peter, under one of the hammocks. The tent mates look at goliath suspiciously "Its a Dog. An animal. Its a fancy english dog... but its still a dog."

Old 04-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #650
the_matrix_walker

Peter concentrates on this connection to Runt, trying to feel out its depths. Rather than issuing commands, he tries to control the construct's actions by visualizing them in real-time.

Is there any sense of consciousness of the creature? Any sort of feedback or communication coming in from the connection? Peter will imagine seeing things from the magic's perspective and try to tap into Runt's senses... if it even really has any...

"No, I don't meditate... is that where you just kind of don't think of anything? How does it work?"

"I'd love to try the game... what are the rules?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter will take a walk in the jungle and look to see if there is a good spot and material for a shelter in case he feel like he has to move out of the tent. He also keeps an eye out for edibles and tracks to evaluate how hard it might be to live off the land if this camp doesn't work out. He may range a bit further out to see if there is any evidence of ruins nearby if he can find enough daylight outside of his duties.

Spoiler:  

Tags
lost in dreams