Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
biomage

Default What is the popularity of In Nomine...and related questions.

Now that the d20 craze is over, I was wondering how many people are still playing/buying In Nomine.

Though SJG is still producing pdfs, would you consider In Nomine a "dead game"?

Is pdf publishing the way of the future? Was Egon Spengler right, when he said, "Print is dead"?

Any plans for a 2nd edition In Nomine?

Isn't In Nomine the most successful non-GURPS game as SJG?

Is this to many questions for one post?

Biomage
My In Nomine Auctions.
biomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
korbeau

Default Re: What is the popularity of In Nomine...and related questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomage
Now that the d20 craze is over, I was wondering how many people are still playing/buying In Nomine.

Absolutely...yes :( The last e23 PDF about In Nomine was around June 15 2007. No more print version and the last pdf was 8 months ago.

Quote:
Is pdf publishing the way of the future? Was Egon Spengler right, when he said, "Print is dead"?
Print is not dead. If it was truth, Amazon would'nt make that much of money. Books Industry will shout like the Music Industry do about MP3 versus CD. Print is not dead.

Quote:
Any plans for a 2nd edition In Nomine?
With the "Revelation Cycle" project stopped brutally (remember the promise about a cycle every year about a big campaign on the web site) and the Superior Series where they have difficulty to provide supplement. Would be a BIG surprise a 2nd edition appear. I think the move they did by making a compatible gurps version was the hope that fans will use gurps product for developping the setting by they own. At that moment (when Gurps In Nomine was release), they kill softly In Nomine. (Gurps In Nomine relased June 2000 and the last In Nomine book was Februrary 2003... but think about the one before Ethereal Player's Guide was in September 2000 with Superior 4. It took 3 years for one book)

Quote:
Isn't In Nomine the most successful non-GURPS game as SJG?
Nope. They have Munchkin and all the sauce where they add monosodium glutamate in it

Quote:
Is this to many questions for one post?
The real question should be « Is someone in the Industry of SJG can stop taking In Nomine Fan for dumb and explain what, where, when, why and how."

For my part, I'm very (i mean VERY) disappointed about the ending (or like SJG said, the futur) of In Nomine. SJG continue saying: « Yes, we support IN Nomine... look! We have PDF on e23! » ... yea right... last pdf released 8 months ago and let facing the truth, a PDF less than 50 pages.

R.I.P. In Nomine (1997-2000 but officially 2003 and THEY want to tell us 2008 or more). :(
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
William

Quote:

Absolutely no! There are pdfs in the pipeline and authors being sourced for more. I can hardly call a game dead when there's material still being produced for it.

Quote:

Biomage
My In Nomine Auctions.
For In Nomine it is. There are still plenty of other books I buy on paper, though.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
korbeau

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Absolutely no! There are pdfs in the pipeline and authors being sourced for more. I can hardly call a game dead when there's material still being produced for it.
Come on! Is not because SJG release one 40 pages PDF each year you can consider In Nomine in is glorious years! The only thing we know is "a LOT of materials is coming... someday..." and that's what they say on the website for now 8 years! Between the last book in 2003 (with a break of 3 years before it) and the last PDF released in June 2007, we talk about 5 supplements. And don't talk me about Pyramid where the last article about In Nomine was 20th April 2007.

I know, it's hard to admit that something good leave... but we should be realist; it's not for fun that they build a Magic System that look like In Nomine in Gurps 4ed (I mean, the Magery Enhanced Tier; Power p. 32) and the structure about Angels, Gods and Demon in Fantasy. Rumors talk about a lot more details in Gurps Thaumatology about this system but without any reference to In Nomine at all. Remember the Street Fighter RPG relase by White Wolf? Same thing!

In Nomine is still supporting 3ed GUPRS, a system now obselete by SJG. If it's not upgrading, it would be the end and IF the conversion for GURPS 4ed release, why still supporting a In Nomine line when you can use ALL the GURPS material and build your own? They will support Infinite World, Banestorm or some GURPS big name... not In Nomine.

Sad but true... and I'm not alone thinking like that.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau
The real question should be « Is someone in the Industry of SJG can stop taking In Nomine Fan for dumb and explain what, where, when, why and how."
I don't think anyone here believes the In Nomine fanbase is dumb.

As for "explain what, where, when, why and how," I can only respond: could you phrase that in the form of a question?

I guess it boils down to what you consider a "dead" line. On one end of the spectrum, as long as you can still play the game with your friends, it'll never be truly dead. On the other, some would say that regular, frequent releases are required. By that logic, of course, GURPS -- who's release schedule has been infrequent, irregular, and both over the past several years -- would count as dead.

In Nomine isn't dead as far as anyone at Steve Jackson Games is concerned. We'll continue to upload In Nomine projects for the foreseeable future -- in fact, we've got another installment in the Superiors series that's looking like it'll go up in the next month or two.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I guess it boils down to what you consider a "dead" line. On one end of the spectrum, as long as you can still play the game with your friends, it'll never be truly dead. On the other, some would say that regular, frequent releases are required. By that logic, of course, GURPS -- who's release schedule has been infrequent, irregular, and both over the past several years -- would count as dead.
http://www.sjgames.com/ourgames/rpg.html
It's at the top of the page. I don't know if that's been the case before, but it is now. Placement looking good to me.

I don't think frequent releases is necessarily a good measure of 'dead' or not. Granted my background is...different. What makes a game alive is if people are playing it--I'd look at sales of the Core rules, and how much work is put into promoting that--to gauge whether the publisher is taking it seriously.

That placement looks good. It's still not a huge title by any stretch of the imagination, but growth can be slow.

IMHO In Nomine has a massive potential for LARP (obviously, since that's what I run) because of the baroque political structure inside the game story. LARP in my experience allows greater conflict between player-characters as opposed to the whole party pointing towards one objective. Word-friction is your plot toy! A few people I've talked to say the ruleset is too loose to support a competitive game, which is what such in-character politicking lends itself well to. Even so, you can have a very satisfying, exciting, fierce roleplaying experience with what it is, with the right GM at the helm. ;) or should I say ;::)

Quote:
In Nomine isn't dead as far as anyone at Steve Jackson Games is concerned. We'll continue to upload In Nomine projects for the foreseeable future -- in fact, we've got another installment in the Superiors series that's looking like it'll go up in the next month or two.
Make me drool...which Superiors? Baaaaaaaaal?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
korbeau

If I remember, it was alway at this place. Good or bad news, I don't know. I don't think it mean so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
What makes a game alive is if people are playing it
If one day SJG announce he would'nt support In Nomine anymore and people continue to play with it, it doesn't mean it still alive. Is not because you use it it's not dead... look my slave zombie in my basement :P

More seriously, what IN fan receive from SJG back to 2003? 5 Superiors supplement and one Liber. No more Cycles, no update about the politic, the product's not evolving (canonically I mean). And like dinosaures, if you don't evolve, you'll face instinction. Sure, I can find material on the net, made by fan. I build my own supplement for my IN campaign but hey! that's not what I want - I want canon material.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
Make me drool...which Superiors? Baaaaaaaaal?
The wish list says they aren't accepting writeup proposals for Marc or Zadkiel, so I'm guessing it's one of them.

(flips a coin)

Zadkiel, maybe?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
As for "explain what, where, when, why and how," I can only respond: could you phrase that in the form of a question?
According to his or her profile, korbeau lives in St-Hyacinthe, which is east of Montreal. I doubt English is korbeau's first language, although his or her English is much better than my French.

I'm guessing that korbeau would like to know how much of SJGames' resources are being put toward In Nomine, and whether there will be any further adventure Cycles, revisied rule editions, or print products of any sort for the line. (But that's just my guess.)

Come to think of it, I'm curious about the possibility of further adventure Cycles. I've purchased all of the adventures available on e23, and would like more... Are there any plans for official adventure material based on what Eli's doing, or the existance of the Grigori, or the relationship between Janus and Valefor?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
I'm guessing that korbeau would like to know how much of SJGames' resources are being put toward In Nomine,
Since our resources don't break down into "units" easily, I'll simply say: an amount appropriate for the sales.

Quote:
and whether there will be any further adventure Cycles,
Not likely -- considering the amount of effort a Cycle requires, the sales were decidedly flat.

Quote:
revisied rule editions,
Creating a new edition is a massive amount of work, and not a project we'll take on lightly. At the moment, the sales don't indicate such a project would be profitable.

Quote:
or print products of any sort for the line.
If any of the e23 releases produce the required sales numbers, we'll likely do a POD version. Other than that, we've focused our resources down to two print RPG projects per year (more or less) and GURPS has those slots sewn up.

Tags
meta