Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
sparky00

Default Re: CRAZY idea!! A Battlefields reflection

I actually think I might try my hand at making proper, fabric covered chipboard map boards in order to use a potential future map reskin. I'm currently making flat counters out of chipboard to use the Battlefields reskins & it's going very well (time permitting).

That said, I believe a possible future "Battlefields II" expansion with double sided S2/S4 & G2/G4 boards and a double-sided Icepick/Badlands board would have pretty wide appeal and make S2/G2 available for non-ODE owners.

The playmats are fabulous, but I just love the big map boards (it's my old wargame nostalgia ). Cant wait to get my hands on S3/G3!. The PDF's look great.

Last edited by sparky00; 03-02-2019 at 07:10 PM.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
The playmats are fabulous, but I just love the big map boards (it's my old wargame nostalgia ). Cant wait to get my hands on S3/G3!. The PDF's look great.
I still prefer the mapboards over the playmats because the floppiness of the mats makes things a little more troublesome for me. However, putting the playmats on top of the mapboards has been working pretty well :-)

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 03-03-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: why does autocorrect change mapboard to mopboard?
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #13
ColBosch

Quote:
That said, I believe a possible future "Battlefields II" expansion with double sided S2/S4 & G2/G4 boards and a double-sided Icepick/Badlands board would have pretty wide appeal and make S2/G2 available for non-ODE owners.
Oops, I had meant G2/S2 before. And this would be cool.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Oops, I had meant G2/S2 before. And this would be cool.
That was where I tried to go with my first post in the thread: if they're going to go that far, then there's no reason to eschew the physical. If the playmats and Battlefields are any indication, the demand for new maps isn't just there, it's strong. I'm sure there are going to be a pretty broad swath of ODE owners willing to buy rather than build too; with the Nightfall Skins...supposed to be a clever solution to a dead stock problem (as of the Battlefields backerkit, they still had over 1300 copies of the counters)...the response was a resounding "How much money for you to save us the trouble and print them for us?"

Will some people get crafty with the Nightfall skins even though they're being printed? Sure. Sparky is one of them, having said so 3 posts ago. There will be a few who do so with the maps too (though with "Ice Ice Baby" hitting BGG a couple years ago, some of the people who would do it with Icepick already have one). And I know Keith would much rather glue something to the back of one of his several ODE single-sider sets instead of making the stack of cardboard even higher.

But personally....having gotten into the game in the run-up to the 6E era, I'm always going to come at stuff like this with a distaste for "You had to be there 7 years ago, otherwise it sucks to be you". The idea of newer players getting the short end of the stick because they've not been around long enough to have a closet full of spare parts doesn't sit right with me.

And from a business standpoint: convincing SJG putting in the time and effort for just/only a PDF release...remembering that releasing S/G maps in PDF they can start with the files already produced for manufacturing the hardboard, where Icepick and Badlands would need created from scratch...strikes me as a very hard sell.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #15
Misplaced Buckeye

The only real issue with the reskin is handling the wrong way bend of the board. More than likely the board would remain extended (creating a storage issue) or apply a reskin to just one side and create a smaller board.

Of course there might be a material liken to banner material but then you get into outside printer services which is not where I was heading with this due to possible IP issues. Personal use only.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #16
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
The only real issue with the reskin is handling the wrong way bend of the board. More than likely the board would remain extended (creating a storage issue) or apply a reskin to just one side and create a smaller board.

Of course there might be a material liken to banner material but then you get into outside printer services which is not where I was heading with this due to possible IP issues. Personal use only.
Was starting to wonder if you were ok, haven't seen you around in a few days.

And please don't get me wrong: I am all for this as part of something bigger [no different than S1-3 and G1-3 being on the Resources page now]...but standalone, that creates a nasty haves and have-nots situation that I think the game is better off avoiding.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:14 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Maps sized to fit the map boards for the G/S or classic Ogre maps is a good idea.
The playmats are far more likely to be used going forward for many, many maps. The minimum run is lower than for the mounted gameboards, which grants us more flexibility.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The playmats are far more likely to be used going forward for many, many maps. The minimum run is lower than for the mounted gameboards, which grants us more flexibility.
Would that just be for the standard we've seen;24x24; or are other sizes under consideration ? Blue sea with islands. An actual board of terrain such as Washington DC, Sheffield, Madrid etc.? Battle for Brazilia? Just keeping the cognitive juices flowing....
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Was starting to wonder if you were ok, haven't seen you around in a few days.

And please don't get me wrong: I am all for this as part of something bigger [no different than S1-3 and G1-3 being on the Resources page now]...but standalone, that creates a nasty haves and have-nots situation that I think the game is better off avoiding.
Was getting ready for local Con . Check pics on the facebook page if you haven't yet.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #20
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Would that just be for the standard we've seen;24x24; or are other sizes under consideration ?
24" x 24" only. We looked at larger sizes; the costs triple+ very quickly.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote