Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
RedLeif508

Default Ogrezine article Defend the Negev issue

Hi,
Loved the latest Ogrezine article/scenario by Mr Barker... Just noticed a little error I think:

"3.03.02 Hills. Use all Swamp rules in a hex with hills including bonuses
and penalties for each type you unit."
should this read ...each type of unit.

I don't know exactly what the author intended but thought i'd alert you all for another proof read.

thanks again for the article.

PS the picture on page 2 is awesome.

Last edited by RedLeif508; 02-09-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added the P.S.
RedLeif508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: Ogrezine article Defend the Negev issue

I love the scenario as well.

I downloaded the PDF, and upon opening it, it has several formatting errors, like fonts being mixed, etc. Also, the "hill" image for the above rule clarification disappears when downloaded.

I'm going to say one of the Jordanian Royal Marines is the great-great-great grandson of Auda Abu Tayi.

Font problems occur in rules 2.02 and 3.06.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
ColBosch

I have the very serious problem that it says Israel fielded no Ogres, when we canonically have the Golem cybertank. I always have an issue when an author feels the need to change decades-old canon based on their own fan theories. Every other Ogrezine piece so far has tried to stay within what SJ Games has published, perhaps expanding it, but not overriding anything previously published.

It doesn't help that I remember the author's arguments about Jews and Muslims - or, at least, Israel and the Caliphate - not accepting the existence of cybertanks, and I found them to be absolute rubbish. As I said before, religion is important to humanity, but no-one has ever turned down a new weapon. State actors very rarely follow the precepts of their nominal religion.

Furthermore, I'm baffled by the idea of the Israeli Empire and Vatican providing support for each other. The Vatican has all the nations of Europe at least theoretically aligned with it; why would they turn to Israel? What kind of covert ops would require the Pope to turn to deniable assets?

I'm sorry, but this piece gets a hard "not interested" from me without an alternate history disclaimer or a background rewrite.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
wolf90

Thank you, RedLeif508, for the missed typo. (Grrrr . . . !)

By definition, every article posted in Ogrezine is representative of the author's Ogreverse, and not anything "official" per se. "Defend the Negev!" is not canon, nor is "The Daimyo and the Dragon" (which uses completely unofficial stats for the Ogres), "Cruise Missile Fizzles" (a variant on the rules), nor any other article. This article, as all of them are, should be enjoyed in its own light, and not viewed as anything more than that.

Finally, before this drifts into a religious-political debate, I'm going to make a few comments:
- The forums are like talk at a dinner party; it's always best to avoid politics and religion.
- Making assumptions about states 100+ years in the future based upon current affairs is fraught with folly. 75 years ago Japan and Germany were our mortal enemies; they're now two of our strongest partners.
- It is a game.

Don't make me close this thread, please.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
ColBosch

Okay, Drew. I'll settle down. But I'll note, for the record, that I'm feeling so salty that I'm finishing up my Golem conversion right now. :D
Old 02-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Thank you, RedLeif508, for the missed typo. (Grrrr . . . !)

By definition, every article posted in Ogrezine is representative of the author's Ogreverse, and not anything "official" per se.
I did not realize that. Is this also true of Space Gamer articles? I love the "Lone GEV" article about the Lone GEV and his friend, the ninja.

Just for clearity, dose this means ONLY rules books are "cannon"?

Last edited by Mallen the dark; 02-09-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out if I spelled dose (duse) right
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
I did not realize that. Is this also true of Space Gamer articles? I love the "Lone GEV" article about the Lone GEV and his friend, the ninja.

Just for clearity, dose this means ONLY rules books are "cannon"?
I'll let someone capable of speaking officially give the authoritative answer...but the safe assumption is "usually". There are a couple places I can think of where the lines are pretty blurry. Such as:

- There's some stuff in GURPS Ogre that has been retconned [the Mk.VII was reduced from 'a few were made' to 'didn't get off the drawing board'], and numbers like weights from that book should be taken with a grain of salt because the author did what he could with the tools he had.

- Iron Mountain started life as a fan write-in article, but has since become an officially-published map [Mat M2], and the "special" units for that scenario, the Light Howitzer and Armored Truck (a Light Howitzer also exists in Ogre Miniatures, but the Iron Mountain one predates it by some 15 years!) are being officially published in Ogre: Battlefields (2018 edition).

- Ninja Shuriken, an Ogrezine article was by Drew after being hired. Leaves one to wonder if it's non-canon because it's a 'Zine article, or canon because it was written by the Line Editor.

- Likewise, Nightfall started life as a Sponsored Counter Sheet (non-canon), but is being finished by SJGames.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
wolf90

Obviously, there is a fuzzy area where non-canon ideas eventually become canon. Much of the GURPS material fits this area. And "The Lone GEV" does as well. Steve's introduction essentially says as much, noting that it was not a part of the Ogreverse when written, but he'd like to see it become a part going forward.

So yes, the only "official" aspects of the Ogreverse are what is in the rule books or stated as such by Steve et al. Items and concepts may eventually cross over from alternate to official, but expect everything in Ogrezine to be alternate at the time of publication unless specifically stated otherwise.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
ColBosch

Okay, I started this, and I'm ending it. Do whatever works for your games. I disagree with Izzy, but that's okay. The point is to enjoy the game.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #10
selenite

Looks like a fun scenario. I do wonder what happened to Eilat . . .
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote