Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Nikosandros

Default Weapon Bond & Signature Gear

Suppose a character has a weapon for which he as Weapon Bond and Signature Gear. What happens if the item is lost forever through no fault of the character? According to Signature Gear, he will get a replacement of equal value, but is the Weapon Bond lost?
Nikosandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Weapon Bond & Signature Gear

Weapon Bond is a mundane relationship with the item, so it would be lost if that particular item is lost.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Nikosandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
Weapon Bond is a mundane relationship with the item, so it would be lost if that particular item is lost.
Yes, I guess that's the correct interpretation of the rules. On the other hand, the idea behind Signature Gear is to insure your "investment", so I'll probably house-rule this (not that it should be common to permanently lose a signature piece of gear).
Nikosandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikosandros View Post
Yes, I guess that's the correct interpretation of the rules. On the other hand, the idea behind Signature Gear is to insure your "investment", so I'll probably house-rule this (not that it should be common to permanently lose a signature piece of gear).
At least in standard GURPS, Signature Gear means you have the same kind of relationship with the weapon as you do with your eyes or arms. Green Lantern isn't going to permanently lose his power ring, or Arthur his enchanted sword; in each case they're part of the character's basic story, effectively a part of the character. But in some kinds of story, it's possible for a character to have an eye put out, or a limb amputated. If you would allow that, then you should allow the loss of a piece of Signature Gear also. If you wouldn't, then Signature Gear should probably be inviolable too, and then the question shouldn't arise.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
JoelSammallahti

I'd definitely give back the point spent on Weapon Bond in such a case. But I prefer to make rulings in favor of the players when in doubt.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
whswhs

At least when I wrote it in GURPS Fantasy, Weapon Bond said explicitly that if you lost possession of the weapon, you were out the point you had spent on it. Making it Signature Gear gives you plot protection against losing it casually, making it less likely that you'll lose the point. I don't see why it should go as far as making it impossible for you to lose the point.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

If you manage to lose Signature Gear, you lose everything that goes with it: anything carved on it, attached to it, stored inside it, etc., and any abilities that rely on it, including Weapon Bond. If this wasn't your fault, you get "similar equipment of comparable value" because Signature Gear is nice that way . . . but that's not the same item. Weapon Bond is specific to one item – not to all kind-of, sort-of similar gear of a certain cash value – so it's just plain lost: "If you lose the weapon, you lose the point you spent!"
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
"If you lose the weapon, you lose the point you spent!"
Which is why I never take it as a Player. It's an inevitable wasted exp.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Which is why I never take it as a Player. It's an inevitable wasted exp.
Not as much of a problem for characters that aren't likely to ever upgrade or lose their weapon, like many realistic contemporary shooters.

Also it makes sense if you think spending a point is worth a temporary benefit. Spending a point for a skill bonus for several sessions seems as worth it as spending a point to succeed on one roll.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-13-2017 at 04:09 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
martinl

I consider Weapon Bond & Signature Gear genre enhancing - they encourage PCs to have a personal weapon that is meaningful to them by giving some nice bonuses at an appealing price.

Thus I would probably err on the side of generosity rather than rules as written, since I like the idea of most martial PCs having such a weapon. Especially if the PC has RPed up the personal relationship with the weapon in game.

If the game lasts long enough most players will sacrifice those 2 points to use more powerful weapons anyway. If they don't that's actually cool.

"You know you could use the Especially Fine Frogsilver Widesword of Killinating instead of selling it, right?"

"And relegate my Mother's Blade to the Golf Bag of Extraneous Weapons? I think not!"

Now I want to stat up the "Especially Fine Frogsilver Widesword of Killinating."

Broadsword, 2 extra lb of weight, +2 to skill, +3 to thrust damage and +1 to swing, -2 breakage, x2 damage vs. Lycanthropes and Frogs (x4 vs. Were-Frogs), hit rolls to avoid death after a blow inflicted by this weapon are made with an additional -2. Counts a magic.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote