Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > Conventions

Old 04-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #41
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: SJG's FnordCon! April 6-7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackShadow View Post
Now that we have the schedule, can you tell us how long each slot is? They seem to be 2 hours long since the last ones start 2 hours before close. And repeat events are 2 hours apart in places.

Just trying to make a grid of events to map out what I want to hit. :)
We're shooting for two-hour slots for most events.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #42
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I'm interested in Triplanetary, if I can find a way to squeeze it in [yay one-day attendee]. My three must-dos are Car Wars 6th, Ogre teasers/previews, and the keynote...but that shouldn't take all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
I will bring Triplanetary and aim for a Saturday morning game, schedule permitting. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
I went by the venue and there is plenty of open gaming space. One of the open tables should be more than enough for a Triplanetary game.

We will have six CW tables and people in line at 9:30 will get first crack at choosing times and getting tickets.

Not sure what Drew's Ogre plans are, precisely, but I know he has quite the full event schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar405 View Post
Anyone have an extra ticket for the con I can buy from them? I saw they just removed the part about selling tickets at the door, even though pre-reg has been closed for a while.
We may have a VERY FEW tickets at the door (fewer than 20 is what I was told). I would advise showing up as early as possible on Saturday if you're trying to buy one. Registration starts at 9:30. We're pretty close to maxing out our staff's capacity, although the room itself will probably be spacious for the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
On my way... At the airport. Didn't bring any games, but brought some camera gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
In my hotel (the Super 8 -- no, I'm not giving you the room number :) ).
Safe travels and we'll look forward to seeing you!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #43
TheAmishStig

I'm in the quality inn by the airport...some pretty low rent japanese pro wrestling on channel 24 for anyone interested
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #44
Tom H.

I'm looking forward to the con.

I really wanted to play in Doug Cole's Dungeon Fantasy RPG game Saturday morning, but I think 10 AM is going to be too early for me.

I hope to get there about noon, and if it's not too disruptive, I'd love to slip into the session just to watch the style of combats and play.

I hope everyone has a good time.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #45
Tom H.

Report: Day 1

I got to attend FnordCon earlier today.

It had a close, community feel being held in just a few rooms of a conference building in the south of Austin.

I liked that most of the events were held in one big room at many tables where people were playing games and interacting.

Several SJ employees were hanging out and easily approachable including Steve Jackson and Phil Reed. I met Alex Yeager for the first time. He was ably coordinating guest activities and guiding event sign-ups.

It was also good to meet a couple of forum regulars in person: Magesmiley and 43Supporter. Being fellow Car Wars fans, I learned that they had both sponsored maps included in Car Wars Arenas.

Well cool enough, Car Wars Arenas was included in my swag bag, and I just finished studying the various innovative layouts in the comfort of my own home.

I missed out on experiencing Douglas Cole's morning session of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Hall of Judgement demo but had the good fortune to play with him in an afternoon session as his collaborator Kyle Norton introduced his own upcoming adventure The Dragons of Rosgarth.

I believe this was Kyle's first time to run an adventure at a convention. Knowing what that experience can be like, I was impressed at how well he kept us all engaged in the mysteries of the unfolding plot.

In the "small-world" department, I ran into a former co-worker from Houston when I lived there. And it turns out that she and her husband already knew Doug Cole from attending the same university there.

I was having so much fun playing The Dragons of Rosgarth I forwent my scheduled opportunity to try out Car Wars 6e. Shame! But no worries, I've got my pass to play tomorrow. It turns out that after you play the demo, you can graduate to a second game where you get to "build" your own vehicle.

The several tables dedicated to the new edition of Car Wars exhibited an energetic focal point of interest. I was impressed to see they were supplied with 3-D prints of some actual miniatures.

That's all for now.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #46
ldj00

I would love to see more reports of the Con.

The unfortunate timing of several issues kept my best-laid plans of attending. Hopefully, if they hold the con again next year, I will make it a top priority to attend again and nothing as crazy will happen again to make me cancel at the last minute.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #47
TheAmishStig

To whoever at SJG who approved tote bags that are almost exactly the dimensions of an American Airlines carry-on bag: You are my hero. I was able to get everything home...three changes of clothes, stuff for a work seminar (a folio, several tablets, etc), travel supplies (toiletries, etc), and a huge pile of convention swag...the contents of the swag bag, three neoprene mats, Munchkin Starfinder "I want it all", door prizes, the stuff I brought to have autographed, and the absolute treasure I picked up while I was there...without having to check baggage.

The tote was perfectly sized that I was able to get everything home in a backpack (which went under-seat) and the tote (which counted as carry-on).

I'm also really glad I didn't pick up TFT Legacy Edition...I would have had to check it, didn't have that much room left over.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #48
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
The unfortunate timing of several issues kept my best-laid plans of attending. Hopefully, if they hold the con again next year, I will make it a top priority to attend again and nothing as crazy will happen again to make me cancel at the last minute.
Yes, stuff happens all the time.

Ironically, the frames of my glasses broke unexpectedly just three days before the convention. Luckily, I was able to get them fixed, but life would have been difficult trying to game without my bifocals.

I hope you get to make it next time.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #49
ldj00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I hope you get to make it next time.
Thanks Tom!

Tags
fnord, fnord con, fnordcon