Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
deltapax

Default Re: Map Making programs

Since this is a thread about map-making programs, I'll ask here-
I've been looking for a program that will do modern urban maps (I'm GMing a game set in the last city on earth) but most of the programs I find online seem to have a fantasy orientation. Trying to do a citymap in Adobe Illustrator is taking forever, and I don't want to use a real citymap from GoogleEarth. I'm hoping to be able to do both an overall city map, building interior maps, and perhaps a map of the region. Can anyone recommend a good program for that?
deltapax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
HeroPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapax
Since this is a thread about map-making programs, I'll ask here-
I've been looking for a program that will do modern urban maps (I'm GMing a game set in the last city on earth) but most of the programs I find online seem to have a fantasy orientation. Trying to do a citymap in Adobe Illustrator is taking forever, and I don't want to use a real citymap from GoogleEarth. I'm hoping to be able to do both an overall city map, building interior maps, and perhaps a map of the region. Can anyone recommend a good program for that?
Someone suggested Dundjinni (sp) earlier in the thread for modern campaigns. I don't have familiarity with it myself, but I'd suggest starting there.

Of course, there's always the alternate choice of using a plastic hexmap and dry-erase markers. I saw it done to great effect once and I'm fairly keen to doing something like that myself. Cheap As Free!

Ludo, if you're still around/if you wander into the thread, how's your friend's map program working out? any chance of showing us a preview or it being madea vailable to the wider public?
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
Naryt

Dundjinni does a great job (with the right art) see:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/foru...?TID=7984&PN=1
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/foru...?TID=7627&PN=1
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/foru...?TID=7634&PN=4

Better role playing than dragon slaying!
Naryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Bringa

Ludo, any links?
Bringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #15
Ewan

I am just about to buy in over the Christmas holidays but you might want to check out HeavyMetal Map. Though it is desined for BattleTech you could probably use it for a modern setting.

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/HMMap_Features.htm
Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
RalofTyr

I use RTS video game editors for my maps, then just take screenshots. Most look as good or better than Dundjinni. Here are a few I use.

Caeser 3
Pharoah and Zeus
Celtic Kings: Punic Wars (Great maps)
Tsar demo (It's free. You can't save your maps, but you can take a screen shot of them). Hedgimount games has good editors with a lot of detail in them.
Outlive and Starcraft
Neverwinter Nights
Stronghold, Age of Kings/Star Wars (good scenery, limited choices of buildings though)
Soldiers of Anarchy
In general, anything produced in Germany will have a good editor with it.

The primary reason I am posting here is I have a question about Autorealm. How can I add new symbols to it?

For mapping, I usually use NBOS Fractal Mapper. It's really easy to create your own symbols and in fact, you can use other symbols. All you need is a small .bmp with a mono-color background. You can also add stuff from other games and make maps of your own.
RalofTyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #17
Ludo

If anyone wants to have a try on GOTA (the software I wrote about), just ask, I'll send it to you by e-mail.

(Sorry that I was out for a while, I just created my own business and it took my days and nights).
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #18
heruca

Sorry for the thread necromancy.

I've collected lots of links to map-making software here (scroll down just a bit).

My own offering, MapForge is easy to learn/use, has both Mac and Windows versions, and produces gorgeous output (high-resolution for print, or low-res for use in virtual tabletop software such as Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, etc.).

You can use it for free (without a license) if you only need low-resolution output.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #19
edk926

A couple of the links on your list aren't working.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #20
heruca

Sorry, it needs updating, badly. I added many of those links up to a decade ago, and have only revisited them occasionally. URLs change all the time as websites are reinvented/reimplemented. Some may well have disappeared forever.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote