Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 12-12-2017, 04:59 AM   #91
AurochJake

Default Re: Question on 'Ramming'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I've just had another game where the Ogre Mk. V rams a SHVY, rolls a three, and then the very next turn, the SHVY scoots away unharmed. My reading of the rule is that a SHVY suffers a 1:1 attack when rammed, so a three result should be D.
Whenever you come across issues like this, logs and relevant screenshots are really useful in tracking and fixing the issue. Instructions on how to find and send logs can be found here :)

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #92
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Ogre has plenty of silliness in it, like Infantry carrying weaponry heavy enough to damage Ogres effectively, and emplaced howitzers and Command Posts not being better armored.
The only handwavium reason I have is infantry's weapons are using bleeding edge technology (more so than other units) which has their weapons better than an OGRE Antipersonnel Gun (when one squad is attacking) and up to an attack strength three (When three squads are attacking)...or something like that...handwave...maybe some sort of shaped armor piercing micro-nuke ammo being used fired at high velocity like a micro railgun. Their weapons do have some sort of power cord attached to their back packs.

I hope one day they release a in-depth supplement for Structures, Buildings, Fortifications, Emplaced Weapons, ect. with a chipboard unit sheet or two. OGREs laying siege to such targets would make for some really cool battles for example.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 12-12-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #93
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
The only handwavium reason I have is infantry's weapons are using bleeding edge technology (more so than other units) which has their weapons better than an OGRE Antipersonnel Gun (when one squad is attacking) and up to an attack strength three (When three squads are attacking)...or something like that...handwave...maybe some sort of shaped armor piercing micro-nuke ammo being used fired at high velocity like a micro railgun. Their weapons do have some sort of power cord attached to their back packs.
It's doesn't have to be "better than an AP gun," just different.

INF can carry a large number of shoulder-launched, slow, short-ish range, nape-of-earth nuclear missiles that fly to likely places where the target is likely to arrive. Squads can, to some degree, coordinate the pattern where these missiles fly, more likely. The density of the pattern improves the odds of hitting something with the nuke. A close detonation is enough. The overkill doesn't matter after the first hit.

AP guns are cheap antipersonnel weapons tacked onto ogres. These are similar to other weapons the INF carry. However, the ogres don't bother to carry the short-range shoulder-mounted nukes because they have far bigger guns and internal supplies of munitions.

More handwavium for HWZ and MHWZ - Time-of-flight is more a determinant for range in an age of interceptors, defense lasers, and targeted jamming than actual physical range. The effective range is the distance a munition can travel before being shot down. MHWZ use very long barrels that are more vulnerable to achieve those velocities. HWZ are even longer, even more vulnerable barrels to fire even further. Even with BPC shielding the barrel is just too long and delicate to have more than D1.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #94
Mack_JB

I think in one of the new updates the 'ram' on infantry has been broken again. You can only ram anything twice now with M3 ability. So two tanks, a tank and INF, two INF, but not three INF or two tanks and one INF anymore.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote