Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Slam Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Ah, yes, Tetsuo. Sumo-Flash. Awesome character. For all the humor, he was played so straight it was awesome. Nearly got his butt kicked by a bunch of guys with AK-47s though.
Yeah, but there was a Critical Success on a spray n' pray involved there as I recall. He was doing great knocking those mooks over and/or into each other with multi-hex knockback-inflicting Slams before that, he just needed to give himself a level of Aspected Luck to round out the build if he was going to rely on Dodge and Speed/Range penalties alone for defense. That character concept still cracks me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
[snip] you don't do slam attacks to inflict damage, you do it to knock someone down and pin them.
Or to knock someone down and run by them, or to knock someone down and Stamp Kick them in the kidneys, or to knock someone down and...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #22
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Yeah, but there was a Critical Success on a spray n' pray involved there as I recall. He was doing great knocking those mooks over and/or into each other with multi-hex knockback-inflicting Slams before that, he just needed to give himself a level of Aspected Luck to round out the build if he was going to rely on Dodge and Speed/Range penalties alone for defense. That character concept still cracks me up.

Or to knock someone down and run by them, or to knock someone down and Stamp Kick them in the kidneys, or to knock someone down and...
In our Song of Ice & Fire I for one rely a lot on Slams with a shield. Sometimes you just need that extra bit of movement! If you just Move, you get to the enemy but can't attack. If yoy Move & Attack you get capped at skill 9. But Slams don't suffer this.
So my fairly-pumped-with-steroids knight with ST15, a fair Move, a medium shield and Shoves & Tackles Perk is pretty efficient.
And who cares if the enemy has armour, you really just want to knock him down. Any injury is a bonus. Especially if charging two foes, knock one down and fight the other. You'll have two rounds to cut him down, or at least injure him enough to make him inefficient. And if you're fast with the second enemy, the first can be hacked at while still struggling to his feet. Ah, the glory of battle!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
The thing with Slam rules, is that they're not worth it at low levels (where they do comparable damage to an untrained punch), unless you want to knock down someone, but at high levels, they're probably a cheap way to do damage: Each level of Enhanced Move doubles (cumulatively) your damage for a flat point cost....
You're going to need to cough up for the Instant acceleration Enhancement (+50%) for this to be remotely practical. Otherwise you're looking at multi-Turn set-ups for your super-slams.

Last edited by Fred Brackin; 04-18-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Fred Brackin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slam