Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Reikon

Default Re: Flying pillow monster paradox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The velocity requirements for significant collision damage are somewhat problematic, but for a multi-ton object it's not actually meaningfully easier to kill the little girl than to kill the full-grown man. Technically, I might use something like (hp of larger) or (2x hp of smaller), whichever is more damage.
My problem is that I'm playing a strange character in a strange world.
I have 30HP, being a extra-fast regenerating catgirl, and that's because I'm REALLY tough, but not heavy at all. And the strange world has a lot of omg-it's-a-huge-steam-powered-robot-we-are-all-doomed enemies with even more HP. And both of us eventually collide with smaller enemies and each other...

So the whole world is a kind of LHC - Large-HP Collider. Lack of strict collision rules (who is harder, what "hard" means, and when to add sumo bonus) makes our lives miserable...
Reikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I'd make hardness a function of DR rather than HP. Call it DR 3+, so long as it isn't flexible?
Hmm... I forgot when I saw someone with less than 3 DR x_x... And this would be really frustrating, if missing of 1 DR would make x2 damage difference.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikon View Post
My problem is that I'm playing a strange character in a strange world.
I have 30HP, being a extra-fast regenerating catgirl, and that's because I'm REALLY tough, but not heavy at all.
If not all of your HP actually represents mass, if I were GMing I'd allow you to designate a certain portion of your HP as "mass-less" as a 0% modifier. Say 9 normal HP and 21 HP with the "mass-less, +0%" limitation. It doesn't count against you for falling damage, but you're also not going to be knocking big heavy things over. It's completely cinematic (I'd represent extra-fast regenerating catgirl with regeneration, supernatural durability, and high HT) but "completely cinematic" doesn't sound like it's far off from your game with giant steam-powered robots.

Quote:
Hmm... I forgot when I saw someone with less than 3 DR x_x... And this would be really frustrating, if missing of 1 DR would make x2 damage difference.
Every single normal human. Anyway, since Campaigns has most modern vehicles at 4-5 DR, I'd say no more than that.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 10-25-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Xenarthral

Quote:
no-hp standing wall
Sidenote: I am confuzzled.
What is hypothetical wall made of?
(10 square foot of 1/5" plate glass has 3 HP. Campaigns p. 558)

No, I have no answers to any questions posted earlier in this thread.
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenarthral View Post
Sidenote: I am confuzzled.
What is hypothetical wall made of?
(10 square foot of 1/5" plate glass has 3 HP. Campaigns p. 558)

No, I have no answers to any questions posted earlier in this thread.
Sorry, I mean "wall strong enough to ignore it's actual HP and think of it as a part of Earth". Wall in a mountain cave, for example (1-mile-thick wall, I mean). It probably has some huge HP, but for collision damage it would probably just double by own slam damage (B431), if I'll try to slam it.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
Reikon

Quote:
If not all of your HP actually represents mass, if I were GMing I'd allow you to designate a certain portion of your HP as "mass-less" as a 0% modifier. Say 9 normal HP and 21 HP with the "mass-less, +0%" limitation. It doesn't count against you for falling damage, but you're also not going to be knocking big heavy things over. It's completely cinematic (I'd represent extra-fast regenerating catgirl with regeneration, supernatural durability, and high HT) but "completely cinematic" doesn't sound like it's far off from your game with giant steam-powered robots.
I'll try to convince my GM to allow that. Thanks a lot, this will solve half of my problems =)

Quote:
Every single normal human. Anyway, since Campaigns has most modern vehicles at 4-5 DR, I'd say no less than that.
That's really surprising o_O I'll talk with my GM about that.

The strange thing, is that all of us are 100-point characters with 50-point disadvantage limit. It's surprisingly easy to take a lot of advantages with -70...-80% discount. I thought it's a normal point limit for a beginner characters...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
I'll try to convince my GM to allow that. Thanks a lot, this will solve half of my problems =)
I think it's semi-official or endorsed by Kromm (the line editor) but I may be misremembering.

Quote:
That's really surprising o_O I'll talk with my GM about that.
Note I meant no MORE than DR 4-5 as a cutoff for being considered "solid." Cars would count (in my opinion) as solid, ergo, anything with as much DR as a car must be solid. That leaves your GM to set it somewhere between DR 1-4, if he agrees that "solid" is a function of rigid DR.

Quote:
The strange thing, is that all of us are 100-point characters with 50-point disadvantage limit. It's surprisingly easy to take a lot of advantages with -70...-80% discount. I thought it's a normal point limit for a beginner characters...
Most games set fairly strict limits on what you can buy with your points. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it's allowed, in many cases.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The velocity requirements for significant collision damage are somewhat problematic, but for a multi-ton object it's not actually meaningfully easier to kill the little girl than to kill the full-grown man. Technically, I might use something like (hp of larger) or (2x hp of smaller), whichever is more damage.
Whichever is less, because otherwise you again end up with the problem of all falls turning you into chunky salsa since the planet has so many HP.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
vitruvian

Quote:
Sorry, I mean "wall strong enough to ignore it's actual HP and think of it as a part of Earth". Wall in a mountain cave, for example (1-mile-thick wall, I mean). It probably has some huge HP, but for collision damage it would probably just double by own slam damage (B431), if I'll try to slam it.
Yeah, slam damage against larger/heavier objects should be capped at double your HP times velocity (that is, anything 2 x your HP or above treated as immovable), since after all it's not going to be more damaging to you if whatever you're running into or runs into you has some give to it.

The only exceptions would be if you were squished between two immovable objects, and for knockback when a much larger object is running into you. E.g., a 100 HP semi rams into a 10 HP pedestrian at 60 mph (Move 30). Cap damage to the pedestrian at (10x2x30x2 for being hard/100) 12d (still enough to ruin your day if not kill you), unless run over/back against the wall, but apply the full (100x30x2) 60d to figure knockback, throwing you back 26 yards (and dealing more damage to you when you land).
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Whichever is less, because otherwise you again end up with the problem of all falls turning you into chunky salsa since the planet has so many HP.
Right, whichever is less.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, paradox, slam