Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Reikon

Default Flying pillow monster paradox.

Ok, i'm a big bad and fast sumo wrestler.
And I'm falling on a huge pillow, soft enough to do only x1 damage from fall.
I'm yelling "Aww!", and taking (myHP*velocity)/100 damage, right?

Now let's say It was actually a sleeping pillow monster with over 9000 HP, so he's doing (hisHugeHP*velocity)/100. Fortunately, there is a rule to prevent my death: "Head-On: [...] The slower object cannot inflict more dice of damage than the faster one." (B432). It's still not clear, should I add +2 per die for damage to myself because of sumo at DX+2, but, I'm still alive!

Or do I? Because now both of us were dropped from head-on colliding planes on a huge altitude. While we are falling, we move towards each other with a speed 5y/s.

And now is a paradox:
From my point of view, I'm just falling down, and Pillow Monster slams with me, doing much more than 11*myHP damage, physically destroying my body, and erasing me from existance.

But from his point of view, he is static, and because I'm faster, he inflicts no more than (myHP*velocity)/100, and I survive the collision.

So my question is: how do I handle slams, when I know relative speed, but it's impossible to say something about absolute speeds?

For now the only solution I can see is "don't worry, you forgot to take a parachute when you were jumping from the plane, so there is no difference". But unfortunately, that's not true...

This is a simplification of a real-game problem, not something completely synthetic. Colliding birds, colliding jumping catgirls... Both of them are flying, so there is no such thing as absolute speed, right? I'm totally confused.

PS: sorry for my poor english.
Reikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Flying pillow monster paradox.

All you care about is relative velocity. The speed with which the two things are hitting each other is the important part, not the speed with which they're moving with respect to anything else.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
All you care about is relative velocity. The speed with which the two things are hitting each other is the important part, not the speed with which they're moving with respect to anything else.
So, slooooooooow collision with a over 9000 HP monster is an instant death? And there is a huge difference between no-hp standing wall and 999999999 HP standing robot? And there is no way to jump on a roof of 999HP tank and not die?

I'm seriously worrying about slam damage limit (in case I will slam with something with insane HP), but I simply don't know how to properly implement rule on page B432.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikon View Post
So, slooooooooow collision with a over 9000 HP monster is an instant death? And there is a huge difference between no-hp standing wall and 999999999 HP standing robot? And there is no way to jump on a roof of 999HP tank and not die?

I'm seriously worrying about slam damage limit (in case I will slam with something with insane HP), but I simply don't know how to properly implement rule on page B432.
In reality, the slam damage shouldn't depend on the HP of what's hitting you. It should depend solely on the HP of the smaller object and the relative velocity of the two objects. You don't care that you ran into a Mazda or a building at speed X, only that you suddenly stopped moving at speed X.

Semper Fi
Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Anthony

Well, it depends on the HP of the smaller target unless there's something preventing the smaller target from being knocked back -- if a truck hits you at 2 mph and you're able to move you might get shoved around (or knocked down), but you won't take that much damage unless you fall and get run over. On the other hand, if it hits you at 2 mph and there's a wall behind you, you squish...
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Reikon

Quote:
In reality, the slam damage shouldn't depend on the HP of what's hitting you. It should depend solely on the HP of the smaller object and the relative velocity of the two objects. You don't care that you ran into a Mazda or a building at speed X, only that you suddenly stopped moving at speed X.
So, Ultra Hard Magic Steel Golem can never kill a 5-HP little girl with a slam, unless his speed exceeds certain value (~20 y/s or ~70km/h to do 1 die of damage, which probably wouldn't be enough to knock her down)? Otherwise little girl just bounce?
My confusion just risen... x_x
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
So, Ultra Hard Magic Steel Golem can never kill a 5-HP little girl with a slam, unless his speed exceeds certain value (~20 y/s or ~70km/h to do 1 die of damage, which probably wouldn't be enough to knock her down)? Otherwise little girl just bounce?
As Anthony notes, imagine a tank ran into you at 1 kph. Unless you fell under the treads, or were otherwise squished in between the tank and some other immovable surface, do you think you'd be seriously injured? No. You'd just bounce backwards a little, right?

So yeah, the mass of the thing hitting you doesn't matter, unless it's the smaller thing. I mean, the earth is REALLY massive, but you don't explode into chunky bits of gore if you trip and fall.

Semper Fi
Old 10-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Reikon

Quote:
As Anthony notes, imagine a tank ran into you at 1 kph. Unless you fell under the treads, or were otherwise squished in between the tank and some other immovable surface, do you think you'd be seriously injured? No. You'd just bounce backwards a little, right?

So yeah, the mass of the thing hitting you doesn't matter, unless it's the smaller thing. I mean, the earth is REALLY massive, but you don't explode into chunky bits of gore if you trip and fall.
Hmm... That makes sense.
Now the biggest questions for me is: how many HP should I have to become hard object, like "clay, concrete, ordinary soil, and sand" (B431) to double damage I can inflict with a slam -_-

Especially if I'm slamming without armor.

I wonder, can I slam with my head, which is probably hard enough, if I have "Unbreakable bones"?..
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
The velocity requirements for significant collision damage are somewhat problematic, but for a multi-ton object it's not actually meaningfully easier to kill the little girl than to kill the full-grown man. Technically, I might use something like (hp of larger) or (2x hp of smaller), whichever is more damage.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Now the biggest questions for me is: how many HP should I have to become hard object, like "clay, concrete, ordinary soil, and sand" (B431) to double damage I can inflict with a slam -_-
I'd make hardness a function of DR rather than HP. Call it DR 3+, so long as it isn't flexible?

Semper Fi

Tags
damage, paradox, slam