Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #141
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Just updated Daredevil. I haven't given him any techniques out of Martial Arts yet.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #142
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Later on, after she married Hank and got her own business off the ground, yes. Starting off, I don't believe she was that well off; not multimillionaire-level wealthy, at least. (I have to look at her OHOTMUDE #14 entry to see if she started off as an heir.) Once I figure out how she starts off pre-marriage in the Reboot, I'll take another look at the wealth.

Historically, in the early-80s, one of the factors that led Hank to get abusive was the realization that Janet was the sole means of income in the marriage, as his patents had expired and he hadn't come up with anything since Ultron and the Pym Particles, while she took her fashion and business talents and developed an international corporation. That he was already emotionally unstable when entering the marriage certainly didn't help; his Yellowjacket identity was originally a split personality.
Just came across this little bit of hero background:

http://en.marveldatabase.com/Janet_v...28Earth-616%29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Early life
Janet van Dyne is the daughter of world-renowned scientist Vernon van Dyne. Early in her life, she was a flighty, self-centered dilettante living resplendently on her father's fortune. She had an on-and-off romantic relationship with the world-renowned soldier-of-fortune called Paladin. When an alien brought to Earth during one of her father's experiments murdered the elder van Dyne, Janet contacted his colleague, Dr. Henry Pym. She told Pym of her resolve to bring her father's killer to justice. Pym revealed his secret identity as Ant-Man, and Janet underwent a biochemical process involving his Pym Particles that allowed her to shrink to insectoid proportions and to grow wings. Furthermore, Pym outfitted her with wrist devices which allowed her to discharge blasts she called her "wasp's stings".

Early career
As The Wasp, Jan and Hank tracked down and defeated the murderous Kosmosian, banishing it to its home dimension. Pym and van Dyne gradually fell in love; Jan reminded Pym of his deceased first wife, Maria. Pym and van Dyne became crime-fighting partners in their costumed identities, and became two of the founding members of the Avengers (along with Thor, Iron Man and The Hulk) after responding when Hank's helmet picked up Rick Jones' fateful call for help. It was, in fact, The Wasp who suggested the name "Avengers" for the group which had gathered. In a further milestone in Avengers history, Jan and the other founders (minus the Hulk) were the discoverers of the great World War II hero, Captain America, still frozen from the last days of the war. Being a fashion designer, the Wasp would become known for her frequent costume changes
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #143
Erik_Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand
Thor likes metal? What.

Of course, he's the God of Metal.

See link Trust me, you want to see this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZMitisDbzQ&NR
OT and six months late, but that ROCKED. Nice!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #144
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

IQ 11 seems a bit too low for Cap: he seems to be much more talented and versatile than that. 12 or 13 would be better, IMO.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #145
Phantasm

My first real villain to be updated to the Reboot:

BEETLE

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Baltimore, Maryland.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: None.
Base of Operations: New York City area.
History: Abner Jenkins was a mechanical genius with a Masters of Engineering degree who, due to an extended economic recession, was unable to land any position above that of an automobile mechanic. Feeling that this was degrading work, Jenkins turned his talents towards developing an armored battlesuit. At first, he intended to sell the suit's designs to the highest bidder. In the course of development, he turned to crime in order to obtain the cash required, primarily the theft of money from armored cars. Although he was caught a few times, he managed to keep the battlesuit's existence a secret.

Because of his criminal record, most of his would-be clients would not return his solicitation calls once he'd completed the suit. In desperation, he decided to use the suit for his own gain. In his first outing as the Beetle, however, he encountered both Spider-Man and Daredevil when he attempted to use the suit to rob an armored car (see Daredevil; Spider-Man). Although he managed to escape, he was captured when attempting a second heist.

Jenkins recently escaped prison during a massive jailbreak, after which he added a new combat computer to the battlesuit.
Height: 5' 11".
Weight: 175 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Black.
Strength Level: Abner Jenkins possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise. The Beetle battlesuit increases this strength by a factor of about ten, enabling him to lift (press) roughly one ton (2,000 lbs).
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Weapons and Paraphernalia: The Beetle wears a custom battlesuit which provides him a number of offensive and defensive capabilities.

First, the battlesuit provides protection against the weapons carried by police SWAT teams. The main portion of the suit is proofed against 7.62mm armor-piercing police sniper rounds. The arms, legs, and helmet are fortified against the more common but somewhat weaker 5.56mm NATO rounds. The suit contains a short-range radio keyed to police and civilian frequencies, and a targeting ladar unit in the helmet. Underneath the armor, the suit has a strength-enhancing skeleton, enabling the wearer to lift about ten times as much weight as normal.

The battlesuit's primary offensive capability comes from the electrolaser built into his gloves. This weapon releases an electrical discharge along a weak laser, leaving a fairly nasty burn while stunning its human victims.

The most unique aspect of the Beetle's battlesuit is its wings, which are strong enough to provide lift by flapping very rapidly, and flexible enough to be folded under the battlesuit's rear carapace. These wings enable him to fly at a normal cruising speed of around 60 mph, although he can divert power to enable it to fly faster when needed.

Recently, the Beetle has added a combat computer to the suit. This computer is programmed with the known capabilities of the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Captain America, as well as the NYPD police and SWAT training (see individual entries). With this data, the computer is capable of predicting within a few seconds what an opponent may do. This information is fed to his helmet's built-in HUD, enabling him to anticipate his opponents.

681 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 10 [0].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs; HP 11 [0]; Will 13 [0]; Per 13 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 5.25 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Advantages: Alternate Form (Beetle Battlesuit) (Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcibly Removed, -10%) [585]; Artificer 2 [20].
Disadvantages: Enemy (NYPD) (Large Group; 9 or less) [-30]; Greed (12) [-15]; Jealousy [-10]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Vow (Never Take A Life) [-5]; Workaholic [-5].
Quirks: Careful [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Uncongenial [-1].
Skills: Aerobatics (H) DX+3 [16] – 14; Area Knowledge (New York City) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Armoury/TL8 (Battlesuits) (A) IQ+3 [4] - 16*; Battlesuit/TL8 (A) DX+3 [12] – 14; Brawling (E) DX+1 [2] – 12; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Sensors) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 12; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Computers) (A) IQ+1 [1] - 14*; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Sensors) (A) IQ+1 [1] - 14*; Engineer/TL8 (Battlesuits) (H) IQ+1 [2] - 14*; Engineer/TL8 (Electronics) (H) IQ+0 [1] - 13*; Engineer/TL8 (Microtechnology) (H) IQ+0 [1] - 13*; Forced Entry (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) (H) IQ-1 [2] – 12; Mechanic/TL8 (Automobile) (A) IQ+1 [1] - 14*; Mechanic/TL8 (Micromachines) (A) IQ+1 [1] - 14*; Mechanic/TL8 (Robotics) (A) IQ+1 [1] - 14*; Navigation (Air) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 12; Observation (A) Per-1 [1] – 12.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000 (20% Starting Wealth).

* Includes +2 from Artificer

Beetle Battlesuit
634 points
Attribute Adjustments:
ST +24 [240].
Advantages: Clinging [20]; Combat Reflexes (Accessibility: Only On Opponents Whose Style Is Programmed In, -20%) [12]; Damage Resistance 12 (Partial: Torso and Groin Only, -5%; Hardened 1, +20%) [69]; Damage Resistance 30 [150]; Electrolaser: Burning Attack 1d (Link, +10%) [6] plus Affliction 4 (HT-3; Link, +10%) [44]; Enhanced Move (Air) 1.5 [30]; Flight (Winged, -25%) [30]; Infravision [9]; Ladar (Targeting Only, -40%) [12]; Protected Vision [5]; Sealed [15]; Telecommunications (Radio) [10].
Perks: Accessory: Personal Computer [1].
Disadvantages: Electrical [-20].

Edits: I've separated the Beetle battlesuit from the main stats and converted it into an Alternate Form as a test-run for doing Iron Man's suits the same way.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-11-2015 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Separated the battlesuit into an Alternate Form
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #146
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Disadvantages: Enemy (NYPD) (Large Group; 9 or less) [-30]
Quirks: Careful [-1]; Code of Honor [-1]
Skills:
Battlesuit:
Wow! It feels like forever since I last posted to this thread ;) A couple of minor presentation points: The... hmm... sixth paragraph, the one concerning the wings, cuts off in mid-sentence. The list of the Battlesuit's abilities would be more readable if you just listed the common limitations once.

Disadvantages: No Enemy for any of the NY-based heroes?
Quirks: What is the minor CoH? I don't get a sense for it from the backstory.
Skills: No special comment, just a nod for the admirable restraint in keeping the skill levels at reasonable levels.
Battlesuit: Looks complete, but it's hard to be sure. Piecing out the DR kind of hurts the readability also, but the main issue is the repeated limitations.

NW, as usual! Makes me want to go back over the sheets you updated! *g*
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #147
David Johnston2

The Beetle's gadgets aren't unique. He could rebuild his suit if it was entirely destroyed, and in fact while his technology isn't in general use, there are at least a dozen companies making hardware like that for military and conspiratorial purposes.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #148
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Wow! It feels like forever since I last posted to this thread ;) A couple of minor presentation points: The... hmm... sixth paragraph, the one concerning the wings, cuts off in mid-sentence. The list of the Battlesuit's abilities would be more readable if you just listed the common limitations once.
It does? Okay, I'll have to look at that again. I have a bad habit when doing these things of stopping when an idea for another piece hits, and not going back to finish.

Quote:
Disadvantages: No Enemy for any of the NY-based heroes?
I see the Beetle as one of those villains who can pop up battling almost anyone. As such, I don't see any single NY-based hero or group actively keeping tabs on him or singling him out every time he breaks free.

Quote:
Quirks: What is the minor CoH? I don't get a sense for it from the backstory.
I forgot to add notes to that. He doesn't want to kill anyone, and will go to lengths to avoid that situation. He may be a thief, but he's no murderer.

Quote:
Skills: No special comment, just a nod for the admirable restraint in keeping the skill levels at reasonable levels.
Battlesuit: Looks complete, but it's hard to be sure. Piecing out the DR kind of hurts the readability also, but the main issue is the repeated limitations.

NW, as usual! Makes me want to go back over the sheets you updated! *g*
Thanks.

Yeah, the battlesuit's repeated Gadget limitations is rather lengthy. In the notebook where I first doodled the stats, I applied the two limitations to the first entry, then just listed "Gadget, -35%" on every other item. That might make it more readable if I did it that way, but then I'd get questions about "does 'Gadget' represent both of the Gadget limitations listed in the first item?"

Thoughts on how to streamline this so that when I get to other battlesuited characters I don't end up with an unreadable list?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #149
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
The Beetle's gadgets aren't unique. He could rebuild his suit if it was entirely destroyed, and in fact while his technology isn't in general use, there are at least a dozen companies making hardware like that for military and conspiratorial purposes.
Hmm... good point. I'll have to go through and revise the point totals upwards.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #150
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I see the Beetle as one of those villains who can pop up battling almost anyone. As such, I don't see any single NY-based hero or group actively keeping tabs on him or singling him out every time he breaks free.
Fair enough.
Quote:
I forgot to add notes to that. He doesn't want to kill anyone, and will go to lengths to avoid that situation. He may be a thief, but he's no murderer.
Hmm... maybe a Quirk level Pacifism instead?
Quote:
Thoughts on how to streamline this so that when I get to other battlesuited characters I don't end up with an unreadable list?
Using the "Gadget" placeholder might be enough of an improvement. You could just add a footnote explanation to clarify.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men