Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
cccwebs

Default Super Jump, Bouncing, and Damage

OK, Super Jump modified with Bouncing allows the character to take no damage from a collision if they make the appropriate roll. Instead they bounce off (or can stop if their current velocity is slow enough). So, does this negate the damage for all involved in the collision, or does the "other" object take damage? ie, Super-Clown (S-C) with HP 10 Jumping-20 and Super Jump 8 (Bouncing +50%; Maneuver, +50%) [160] makes a slam attack against an opponent. His jump Move is 290. If he hits the target and makes his Jumping skill roll, S-C doesn't take any damage from the slam, but does he still inflict 29d cr damage to the target?
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Super Jump, Bouncing, and Damage

I've always treated it as an either/or. You can choose to try the harmless bounce (skill roll) but that doesn't do any damage to either you or your target. If you slam attack for damage it's not a no dmg bounce.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
davidtmoore

naloth's guidance seems sound, but it occurs to me that here's an excellent opportunity for a Cosmic mod.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs
OK, Super Jump modified with Bouncing allows the character to take no damage from a collision if they make the appropriate roll. Instead they bounce off (or can stop if their current velocity is slow enough). So, does this negate the damage for all involved in the collision, or does the "other" object take damage? ie, Super-Clown (S-C) with HP 10 Jumping-20 and Super Jump 8 (Bouncing +50%; Maneuver, +50%) [160] makes a slam attack against an opponent. His jump Move is 290. If he hits the target and makes his Jumping skill roll, S-C doesn't take any damage from the slam, but does he still inflict 29d cr damage to the target?
I don't see a reason to think other than that the target still takes normal slam damage. The text only says you take no damage, and that only on a successful roll against the best of {DX, Acrobatics, Jumping}. I doubt that the effect on the target was left off in error... it seems more reasonable to assume that the reader was supposed to infer normal slam rules applied except for what Bouncing contradicted.

You can always check with Kromm to be sure.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I've always treated it as an either/or. You can choose to try the harmless bounce (skill roll) but that doesn't do any damage to either you or your target. If you slam attack for damage it's not a no dmg bounce.
I'm inclined to agree, except that there is some energy transfer considering that the user only bounces away with 90% of his velocity. Maybe the bounce should inflict damage on the target based upon the 10% of velocity that was lost? from the previous example that would be a velocity of 29, so 3d cr damage instead of 29d cr damage?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Harald387

My take on it matches Not Another Shrubbery's - I don't see any reason the target shouldn't be taking full slam damage.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I don't see a reason to think other than that the target still takes normal slam damage. The text only says you take no damage, and that only on a successful roll against the best of {DX, Acrobatics, Jumping}. I doubt that the effect on the target was left off in error... it seems more reasonable to assume that the reader was supposed to infer normal slam rules applied except for what Bouncing contradicted.

You can always check with Kromm to be sure.
That leaves for a very intersting, if possibly lethal attack to both opponents. If the user fails his bounce roll, the "splat" could be deadly for both. Maybe the user should have Unkillable 2 or 3 as a "safety net" and some Regeration to help come back after a "splat". Hmm, Super Jump 10 (Bouncing, +50%; maneuverable, +50%) [200], Unkillable 3 [150], and Fast Regeneration (Unkillable Only, -40%) [30] would still leave some points for Jumping-20 (say 36 points from DX 10) and some other fleshing out. At skill 20 that's a Super Jump move of 1160, and a slam attack of 116d cr. A failed bounce roll would be scary, but the user could come back in just under 2 hours.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
vitruvian

I might split the difference, and let the Slam do damage to the target for purposes of knockback only. That way, your bouncing boy or girl hero could throw people around but not damage them directly.

Of course, that 29d Slam will do on average 12-13 yards of knockback to ST 10 targets, plenty effective in itself.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
I might split the difference, and let the Slam do damage to the target for purposes of knockback only. That way, your bouncing boy or girl hero could throw people around but not damage them directly.

Of course, that 29d Slam will do on average 12-13 yards of knockback to ST 10 targets, plenty effective in itself.
Maybe. I do like the sound of doing knockback damage instead of cr damage. My concern with doing cr damage is that the character would almost never be able to actually bounce, considering that he'd do enough cr damage that he'd break through nearly any surface he tried to bounce off of. The other option, as I mentioned earlier, is do do collision damage based only on the 10% velocity loss from the bounce. So, that Jump move 290 would effectively be a velocity of 29 for the slam if the character makes his bounce roll. If he doesn't make the roll, well that's why I'd pick up Unkillable 3 as a safety net or it's make a new character time.

Tags
bouncing, collision damage, slam, super jump