Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2019, 02:24 AM   #11
Prince Charon
 
Prince Charon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: [Thaumatology] Specialist Magic-Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
It isn't specified as being a separate spell, but I could see maybe treating it as some kind of specialty use. Like if you learned 1 specific college it might be 1 level easier to learn Powerstone, but then all other colleges (or generic) would be cast at -2.
Looking at the entry in GURPS Magic (p70), I can't see anything to suggest that it isn't a separate spell, other than not listing a prerequisite, which seems to be an error as it has a separate entry in the Spell Table at the end of the book (p231), and that one does mention the prerequisite (Enchant).
__________________
Warning, I have the Distractible and Imaginative quirks in real life.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 7/23/2020: French Space Force (Armée de l'Espace) article has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [Thaumatology] Specialist Magic-Users

The last time I built a character for a Monster Hunter's game I added some specialist sauce to a Witch with rules from Pyramid 66.

Code:
ST 10 [0]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 15 [100]
HT 12 [20]

HP 10 [0]
Will 15 [0]
Per    13 [-10]
FP 12 [0]

English (native) [0]

Magery 6 [65]
Full Adept [40]
Natural caster 3 [45]
Higher purpose (curse breaking) 3 [15]
Contact group (my crazy family, somewhat reliable, skill 15, occult skills, shows up on 12) [20]
Signature Gear (Grimoires+truck) [3]
Luck [15]
combat reflexes [15]
perk: substituted Attribute (IQ for Esoteric Medicine) [1]
perk: Romani (accented) [1]

Code of Honor (Never abuse magic) [-5]
Skinny [-5]
Reputation (traitor) [-5]
Obsession (stop magic abusers,CR 12) [-15]
Motion Sickness    [-10]
Stubborn [-5]
Charitable (CR 15) [-7]
quirk (Wander Lust)    [-1]
quirk (sub-optimal vision -- distance for range penalties *1.5 without glasses)[-1]
quirk (wildly rants when frustrated -- quirk level bad temper)[-1]
quirk (uses little metal figurines for almost all of her traditional trappings in spells)[-1]

MAGIC
Thaumology            IQ    VH    18    [8]    3
Path (magic)        IQ    VH    18    [8]    3
Path (chance)        IQ    VH    17    [4]    3
Path (mind)            IQ    VH    17    [4]    3
Path(cross roads)    IQ    VH    17    [4]    3
Path (spirit)        IQ    VH    17    [4]    3
Path (body)            IQ    VH    16    [2]    3
Path (matter)        IQ    VH    16    [2]    3
Path (undead)        IQ    VH    16    [2]    3
Path (energy)        IQ    VH    16    [2]    3

OCCULT
Mental Strength                    will E    19    [2]    3
Occultism                        IQ    A    17    [1]    3
Hidden Lore (sacred places)        IQ    A    15    [1]   3
Expert Skill (psionics)            IQ    H    14    [2]
Research                        IQ    A    15    [2]
Current Affairs (arcane,US)        IQ    E    15    [1]
Area Knowledge (gates,western)    IQ    E    15    [1]
Saviore Faire (occult community)IQ    E    15    [1]

COMBAT
Sword Sword                DX    E    14    [4]    
Pistol                DX    E    14    [4]    
Brawling            DX    A    13    [4]    
Throwing            DX    A    12    [2]                        
Fast Draw (pistol)    DX    E    13    [1]    1

SOCIAL
Psychology (human)    IQ    H    14    [2]
Detect Lies            IQ    H    14    [2]
Diplomacy            IQ    H    14    [2]
Indimidate            will   A    14    [1]
Fast Talk            IQ    A    15    [2]
Streetwise            IQ    A    15    [2]

Mechanic (auto)        IQ    A    14    [1]
Artist(figurines)        IQ    H    13    [1]
Stealth                   DX    A    12    [2]
Housekeeping           IQ    A    14    [1]

attributes: 160
advantages: 218
perks: 2
disadvantages: -62
quirks: -4
skills: 83

total = 397
The higher purpose (curse breaking) gives +3 when targeting the magic of others or undoing the effects of a spell. She also had a pair of grimoires that gave +4 to removing a ritual to a person or from a place.

As an RPM witch, she's not terribly specialized in the grand scheme of things, but the higher purpose and signature gear give her +7 for an effective skill of 25 when removing the magic of others.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Now recruiting in PbP forum! -- Dreadstormers needs a replacement character (or more cast!)-- Special Forces with psionic powers takes over a battleship in space!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: [Thaumatology] Specialist Magic-Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Looking at the entry in GURPS Magic (p70), I can't see anything to suggest that it isn't a separate spell, other than not listing a prerequisite, which seems to be an error as it has a separate entry in the Spell Table at the end of the book (p231), and that one does mention the prerequisite (Enchant).
Yipes, great observation, I love easter eggs in those spell tables :)

Now the next question would be: would learning that once allow you to create OCPs of any college, or would we need to learn separate versions for each college?

The cost of casting OCP is -40% from the usual cost, exactly the value of 1-college magery (B67). This sets a convenient precedent for, if we wanted to invent other variations on the Powerstone spell NOT in GURPS Magic, simply adapting the limitations on Magery to come up with the energy cost for them.

T25 "Limited Colleges" for example would suggest:
2 colleges = 14 energy
3 colleges = 16 energy
4 colleges = 18 energy
It could be a worthwhile skill to buy if these were 3 extra skills which allowed you to make any combination of colleges. If you had to learn a separate skill for each combination (ie one skill for fire+water, a 2nd skill for fire+weather, etc) then it could get prohibitively costly though...

Do you think having "one spell only" powerstones costing 4 energy to make would be going too far? If that were possible, I could see someone building a Powerstone-only Powerstone to get their foot in the door of making the costly unrestricted ones.

4*4=16 so that would still be tricky to make if you didn't have a valuable thing to enchant. The previously proposed "one college" manastone (or better yet, a "one spell" manastone costing either 1 or 4 energy) would still be helpful in building up to that.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #14
Prince Charon
 
Prince Charon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: [Thaumatology] Specialist Magic-Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Yipes, great observation, I love easter eggs in those spell tables :)

Now the next question would be: would learning that once allow you to create OCPs of any college, or would we need to learn separate versions for each college?
I'd say that it depends on the GM, but that makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The cost of casting OCP is -40% from the usual cost, exactly the value of 1-college magery (B67). This sets a convenient precedent for, if we wanted to invent other variations on the Powerstone spell NOT in GURPS Magic, simply adapting the limitations on Magery to come up with the energy cost for them.

T25 "Limited Colleges" for example would suggest:
2 colleges = 14 energy
3 colleges = 16 energy
4 colleges = 18 energy
It could be a worthwhile skill to buy if these were 3 extra skills which allowed you to make any combination of colleges. If you had to learn a separate skill for each combination (ie one skill for fire+water, a 2nd skill for fire+weather, etc) then it could get prohibitively costly though...
That looks good, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Do you think having "one spell only" powerstones costing 4 energy to make would be going too far? If that were possible, I could see someone building a Powerstone-only Powerstone to get their foot in the door of making the costly unrestricted ones.

4*4=16 so that would still be tricky to make if you didn't have a valuable thing to enchant. The previously proposed "one college" manastone (or better yet, a "one spell" manastone costing either 1 or 4 energy) would still be helpful in building up to that.
That also looks workable. Of course, I'm by no means an expert on the standard system, but your ideas fit what I do know about it, and it does not seem overpowered. Depending on the game, I'd either allow Powersone-Only Powerstones, or not allow one-spell only powerstones at all, but if you hadn't brought it up, the idea of a cheap, Powerstone-only powerstone would probably not have occurred to me.
__________________
Warning, I have the Distractible and Imaginative quirks in real life.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 7/23/2020: French Space Force (Armée de l'Espace) article has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: [Thaumatology] Specialist Magic-Users

Of course, a one-spell powerstone (rather than an enchantment-only one) could only be used for EITHER the generic powerstone spell OR the separate "one college powerstone" spell, so it wouldn't be supremely versatile. You'd need a 2-spell powerstone for that versatility.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters, magic, thaumatology

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.