Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Kelroy

Default AdjDX & Initiative in ITL

In "In the Labyrinth," it says on p102 under Actions, "Figures act in the order of their adjDX, highest first. If figures have the same adjDX, those on the side with initiative go first. Further ties are resolved by die roll."

However, in both the regular rules for Melee and Wizard, it says, "Figures attack in the order of their adjusted DX, highest first; ties are resolved each turn by a die roll," with no mention of initiative.

Now, I realize that ITL is an expanded version of Melee and Wizard, but it seems odd to me to leave it out of those two. Because it very much can change how a fight goes. And it surely couldn't have been left out due to space issues.

I also realize it's not really a big deal, and easily fixed as a "house rule." I'm just wondering why they didn't codify the rules so there would be no discrepancy like this. "Let's play The Fantasy Trip!" "O.K., which one?"

What am I missing?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
xane

Default Re: AdjDX & Initiative in ITL

The original TFT books included Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard, these have been merged into In The Labyrinth under the Advanced Combat section.

You either play Melee (and/or Wizard), or you play The Fantasy Trip which is ITL with the Advanced Combat rules.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Kelroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
The original TFT books included Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard, these have been merged into In The Labyrinth under the Advanced Combat section.

You either play Melee (and/or Wizard), or you play The Fantasy Trip which is ITL with the Advanced Combat rules.
True, but as far as I can tell, all of the other rules in Melee and Wizard are the same in ITL, except for that one. It just seems odd to me (especially not knowing the detailed history of the game; I knew of it but never owned it).
Old 07-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Skarg

IIRC, it's different because the idea was suggested here on the forums, and got inserted into the new ITL shortly after the final drafts of Wizard and Melee were sent to the printer.

I prefer to use the original rule of rolling for all adjDX ties, as I don't like the idea nor the irregular effects of having action sequence governed by initiative only for all of the figures who coincidentally have the same adjDX.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Chris Rice

I've always rolled to resolve ties so I guess I'll just continue with that.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I've always rolled to resolve ties so I guess I'll just continue with that.
same here for what it's worth my opinion
Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #7
Tywyll

Another issue is that in Melee you have to act first if you win initiative, even if you'd prefer to let the other side go first. Thankfully that is sorted in ITL.

As for ties being resolved by initiative, I find that far easier than rolling for every figure. I find we have a bottleneck around Dx11-12 and rolling off for 3-5 different sets of figures would get tedious. It also makes initiative (and therefore the tactics talent) more valuable.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #8
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Another issue is that in Melee you have to act first if you win initiative, even if you'd prefer to let the other side go first. Thankfully that is sorted in ITL.
Nope. New edition of Melee (p5), you can choose to go first or have the other player go first. Can't remember if it was different in older editions.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Nope. New edition of Melee (p5), you can choose to go first or have the other player go first. Can't remember if it was different in older editions.
Is there any edition where that's true? I didn't ever think so, but I don't have all printings of original basic Melee.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
FrankB

Original Melee - Initiative Roll.

Each player rolls a die. The high roller may choose to either move his figure(s) first that turn, or to have the other player(s) move their figure(s) first.
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote