Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Atratus333

Default What happens when you killing a Monster only to have to face a new Wandering Monster?

Okay. So what happens in this scenario? For lack of a ruling I lost a game of Conan. I was level 9 fighting a level 1 and played Smoke that Strangles, defeating the level 1. Someone then wandered in a monster of a higher level that I was unable to beat and had to run away from. Nothing was played that made me lose a level nor was the bad stuff lose a level. Do I not get the level for defeating the level 1? If I do get the level would I have to wait till the start of my next turn to claim victory?
Atratus333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: What happens when you killing a Monster only to have to face a new Wandering Mons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atratus333 View Post
Okay. So what happens in this scenario? For lack of a ruling I lost a game of Conan. I was level 9 fighting a level 1 and played Smoke that Strangles, defeating the level 1. Someone then wandered in a monster of a higher level that I was unable to beat and had to run away from. Nothing was played that made me lose a level nor was the bad stuff lose a level. Do I not get the level for defeating the level 1? If I do get the level would I have to wait till the start of my next turn to claim victory?
I am assuming the order of events went something like this:
1. Combat the level 1
2. Defeat the level 1
3. Within a "reasonable amount if time" ie, roughly 2.6 seconds, wandering monster was played.

If that is the case, then you did not win the combat and the results are correct. Until you pass the "reasonable amount if time", you haven't really won the combat yet and can't claim victory.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: What happens when you killing a Monster only to have to face a new Wandering Mons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
3. Within a "reasonable amount if time" ie, roughly 2.6 seconds, wandering monster was played.
"Roughly 2.6 seconds" is inaccurate. That part of the rule is a joke. Each group must define "reasonable time" for itself -- but if you do a SLOW count of "one . . . two . . . two point six," that gives everyone a chance to say "Stop!" and do something. (I've found, in watching groups play, that the length of seconds changes dramatically when you are in the combat and trying to stop it.)

BTW, we changed the time in Munchkin Pathfinder as a metajoke. Now I'm leaning toward changing it in every set from now on, just to drive home the fact that it's not the precise number of seconds that matters, it's the "reasonable time."

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Clipper

Yep, notice that the box on the first page of the rules that lists the rules that can't be broken unless explicitly stated on a card include:

Quote:
3. You cannot collect rewards for defeating a monster (e.g., Treasure, levels) in the middle of a combat. You must finish the fight before gaining any rewards.
In this case, you didn't finish the fight by beating the first monster. The fight was continued by the addition of the second monster. Thus, you don't get any rewards, as per the above rule.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
"Roughly 2.6 seconds" is inaccurate. That part of the rule is a joke. Each group must define "reasonable time" for itself -- but if you do a SLOW count of "one . . . two . . . two point six," that gives everyone a chance to say "Stop!" and do something. (I've found, in watching groups play, that the length of seconds changes dramatically when you are in the combat and trying to stop it.)

BTW, we changed the time in Munchkin Pathfinder as a metajoke. Now I'm leaning toward changing it in every set from now on, just to drive home the fact that it's not the precise number of seconds that matters, it's the "reasonable time."
I know it's a joke. I thought i emphasized the "reasonable time" enough; guess I failed. My post just didn't adequately convey my intent to use the joke. Reading the rules is quite the exercise in identifying humor. :-)
Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yep, notice that the box on the first page of the rules that lists the rules that can't be broken unless explicitly stated on a card include:

In this case, you didn't finish the fight by beating the first monster. The fight was continued by the addition of the second monster. Thus, you don't get any rewards, as per the above rule.

Lets say that a helper during someone's combat is a Wizard and they were fighting multiple monsters in the combat, the helper charmed one of the Monsters, does he/she get to retrieve their treasures right after charming it or would they have to wait to kill the remaining monsters in order to receive their treasures?
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthooony View Post
Lets say that a helper during someone's combat is a Wizard and they were fighting multiple monsters in the combat, the helper charmed one of the Monsters, does he/she get to retrieve their treasures right after charming it or would they have to wait to kill the remaining monsters in order to receive their treasures?
NO ONE gets rewards until the fight is over and all monsters are defeated.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

Also, the Wizard helper only gets whatever Treasure he negotiated for, not all the Treasures from the Monster he charmed.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
NO ONE gets rewards until the fight is over and all monsters are defeated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Also, the Wizard helper only gets whatever Treasure he negotiated for, not all the Treasures from the Monster he charmed.
Awesome! Thanks you guys!!
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote