Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: What will you not allow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In my games, actors in cinema and theater uses Performance while con-artists and spies use Acting. Improvised comedy can use either Performance (when acting in an improvised scenario with partners) or Acting (when interacting with the crowd), it just depends on whether the comedian targets their troupe or their audience.
Not all improv is comedy. I don't generally even attempt comedy.

Also, in the round, interacting with the audience is the whole point, but interaction with other actors is still part of it and these don't seem like different things.

I don't think that is the same thing as effective lying. Nobody (probably) actually is convinced that I am really the criminal kingpin of 16th century Port Deptford (nor do I expect people to think that I am actually a female Ustalavian Djamphir Voice of Pharsama at the gaming table).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-10-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #32
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I didn't think that there was a question about what skill that you use for improvisational theater, prior to Kromm's post.
Okay, but has that introduced any basis for doubt about the extensively documented in RAW and posts use of acting for deception?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Okay, but has that introduced any basis for doubt about the extensively documented in RAW and posts use of acting for deception?
Yes, because if Acting includes a significant body of non-decepective performance, it might very well also not include things that are deception. If the criteria is not based primarily on intent to deceive (as I had previously thought), but rather on planning versus improvisation, do planned and scripted deceptions still use Acting?

If a character is impersonating a leader as a body-double and they are following a script while doing so, which skill is appropriate?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #34
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Imho, A player/GM that try to change his voice/attitude to portray a PC/NPC and "deceive" the others players "this is not me, this is my character" is using Gurps:acting.
IF he is doing so not to portray his character but to impress/entertain the other players; it become a Gurps:performance.
When I game, I try to change my voice/attitude/posture to portray PC, I want the other players to see me as my character rather than me...but I'm not GURPS Acting, I'm not trying to deceive them. I don't expect them to *actually* think I am my character.

When I was in the Army in the two years before Don't Ask, Don't Tell and the first two years of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, I had to use Acting to convince my fellow service members that I was heterosexual so I wouldn't be put in prison. That was Acting. I needed the people I interact with to really believe this story about me...and I had to do elaborate and long term deception in order to carry this off. This is in no way similar to what I do when I'm gaming with my buddies, where I'm trying to portray a character through improv (Performance), but I'm not trying to make them think that I really, really do hate AI, or that I really am a Japanese American college student who had been in an internment camp.

There is a difference between Acting and Performance. And I've never seen anyone do Acting in an RPG. Not in a LARP, not around a table...never.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #35
AlexanderHowl

Acting, because they are attempting a realistic portrayal for deceptive purposes rather than entertainment purposes. The script might offer a penalty though, as the actor is not relying on their instincts and is relying on someone else.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Acting, because they are attempting a realistic portrayal for deceptive purposes rather than entertainment purposes. The script might offer a penalty though, as the actor is not relying on their instincts and is relying on someone else.
Roleplaying a character in an RPG is a "realistic portrayal for deceptive purposes"?

Also, "depart the palace by motorcade, arrive at the ministry of culture, enter under guard, ascend to the balcony, wave to the crowd while appearing stately, watch a ceremony, shake hands with dignitaries, depart by motorcade and return to the palace" is a script, but I don't see why it should involve penalties.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-10-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Wait, I'm sorry, what?

You think that, during a role-playing session we're trying to "cause someone to believe something that is not true." (link to Google definition) And not "provide someone with amusement or enjoyment?" (link to Google definition.)

Wait, I might have misread this. I think AlexanderHowl might be answering Sir_pudding's question about the body-double.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Wait, I'm sorry, what?

You think that, during a role-playing session we're trying to "cause someone to believe something that is not true." (link to Google definition) And not "provide someone with amusement or enjoyment?" (link to Google definition.)

Wait, I might have misread this. I think AlexanderHowl might be answering Sir_pudding's question about the body-double.
The context of my body-double question is in regards to Kromm's earlier statement, so I think your comment is still valid.

Is the difference between Performance and Acting based on intent-to-entertain versus intent-to-deceive or is it based on scripted performance versus improvisational performance? I had previously understood it was the former, but Kromm seems to be saying it is the latter. I asked about the body-double because that is a situation with scripted deception (in response to Ulzgoroth's question about whether I have any doubt about which skill applies to deception).

AlexanderHowl's answer seems to indicate a third possibility: that he believes that the criteria is indeed intent-to-deceive, but in context that somehow includes roleplaying games. Which seems nonsensical and therefore your response seems appropriate.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-10-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Closed Thread