Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: legendary actions in gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't see where you're getting 'after half the PCs have gone', but I do see how you're reading it as only one extra action total taken between the end of the dragon's turn and the start of the next, and think you may have that right.

Which might work with ATR 1 (Wait Only -??%), yeah.
Not literally "half", but if the intent is to allow it to act between turns, then it doesn't require multiple parallel Waits or broad trigger conditions.

If it allows a choice of actions after being triggered, that is broader than Wait allows, but I think this may be a case of trying to adapt mechanics from another system too specifically. Note that a GURPS monster that can take an extra action between turns is the same as a D&D monster that can take six extra actions between turns, so if you were really after an exact copy you would need to to limit it to every sixth turn or something.

I think giving the monster a free Wait every tum might be equivalent in intent, given the difference between the systems' approaches to time scale, detail, and action economy.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
Bengt

Default Re: legendary actions in gurps

Typically the monster gets three "action points" that refreshes when it takes its normal turn. They can take a single action after another creature has taken their turn, each action costing 1-3 "points".

E.g. A Lich can cast a Cantrip (1 pt), use Paralyzing Touch (which is its normal melee attack) (2 pts), try to Frighten one creature (2 pts), Disrupt Life (a pretty nasty AE attack) (3 pts).
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote