Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
thom

Default Re: [Powers] Help with cleric auras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
First, the Aura of Power meta-enhancement is something you should give a look to.
Yeah, well my problem with that is I'm trying to make the effect as cheap as possible, and I'm starting with 150-point PCs. So any single ability that cost 30+ points is "right out!" <g>

So how about "+1 Striking ST" for 5 base points:

Area affect 4 hexes (+100%)
Malediction (+100%)
Emanation (-20%)
Divine (-10%)
must use gestures and speak (-20% for the two)
Requires Will roll (-5%)
Costs Fatigue (1 point, -5%)

For a total of 12 points and costing 1 Fatigue Point, the cleric can raise all striking weapons damage by +1.

So...my next question is; how do I build this so the rest of the group can leave the area of effect (i.e. the 4 hexes around the cleric) and still gain the benefit for some time? Would the Persistent enhancement (+40%) help with this? Or is there a better way? Thanks for all the help so far!
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

Yeah, well my problem with that is I'm trying to make the effect as cheap as possible, and I'm starting with 150-point PCs. So any single ability that cost 30+ points is "right out!" <g>

Area affect 4 hexes (+100%)
Malediction (+100%)
Emanation (-20%)
Divine (-10%)
Requires Will roll (-5%)

For a total of 12 points and costing 1 Fatigue Point, the cleric can raise all striking weapons damage by +1.

So...my next question is; how do I build this so the rest of the group can leave the area of effect (i.e. the 4 hexes around the cleric) and still gain the benefit for some time? Would the Persistent enhancement (+40%) help with this? Or is there a better way? Thanks for all the help so far!
I understand that you want to keep costs down, but that build isn't legal. You can use Affects Others on the Striking ST to be able to shae it with other people, ans IIRC Area Effect to increase the range beyond Touch. No need for Malediction. The only issue is that you can't buff more people than the level of the Affects Others enhancement. It will end up being more expensive than Aura of Power once you go for either large areas or bigger bonuses. Trust me, Aura of Power was created to lower costs back to reasonable levels for medium and larger blessings
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
vierasmarius

Quote:

As noted above, +1 Striking ST ≠ +1 damage. It gives +1 to swing weapons, but only improves thrust damage half the time (ie, damage increases by +1 for every other point of ST). Of course, that will be sufficient to give +1 to any fighter wielding a broadsword, axe, mac or similar swung weapon. So as long as you're okay with thrusting blades and missile weapons not getting a consistent boost, it will work fine.

Quote:
With Area Effect + Emanation, you spend a maneuver to radiate your aura for one second, first making a single Will roll to activate the power, then rolling Will vs the HT of each target in the area - they can waive their resistance roll, in which case they are affected for minutes equal to your margin of success.

Also, as Kuroshima points out, you either need Affects Others on Striking ST, or to base the power on Affliction.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
thom

Hmmm..OK.

So following Powers p 39. on the Affliction/Field section, means I take the base 10-point level 1 Affliction, and:

Area Affect (+50%) for 2 squares
Advantage (+100%) for 10 points of +2 Striking ST
Emanation (-20%)
Divine (-10%)
Will Roll (-5%)

Which comes out to...19 points? Hmmm, that's not as bad as it could be, I guess...Does this look right?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Hmmm..OK.

So following Powers p 39. on the Affliction/Field section, means I take the base 10-point level 1 Affliction, and:

Area Affect (+50%) for 2 squares
Advantage (+100%) for 10 points of +2 Striking ST
Emanation (-20%)
Divine (-10%)
Will Roll (-5%)

Which comes out to...19 points? Hmmm, that's not as bad as it could be, I guess...Does this look right?
That would work, though remember, everyone in the area would need yo roll HT, and be blessed for minutes equal to their MoS. They can't decide to fail ths roll. You need malediction for that. Oh, and it will bless foes too, you need selective area to avoid that
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
thom

All righty then! Thanks vierasmarius and Kuroshima for all the great help with this. I'm busily building the various clerical abilities for my campaign as we speak. I've got just one last question. <sg>

I now have the basic formula for 10-point or higher advantages; but suppose I want the cleric to help his allies with:

Hard to Kill +2 (4 points) or Rapid Healing (5 points)

These are less than the base 10-point Affliction cost. How do I calculate these abilities?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
vierasmarius

Quote:
All righty then! Thanks vierasmarius and Kuroshima for all the great help with this. I'm busily building the various clerical abilities for my campaign as we speak. I've got just one last question. <sg>

I now have the basic formula for 10-point or higher advantages; but suppose I want the cleric to help his allies with:

Hard to Kill +2 (4 points) or Rapid Healing (5 points)

These are less than the base 10-point Affliction cost. How do I calculate these abilities?
Just replace the 10pt advantage (+100%) with the 4pt (+40%) or 5pt (+50%) advantage. Because Affliction has a base cost of 10 points, each ±10% gives ±1 pt to the (per-level) cost, regardless of what other modifiers are present. So Hard to Kill +2 would be worth +40%, for a total enhancement value of +30% and a cost of [13].
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Just replace the 10pt advantage (+100%) with the 4pt (+40%) or 5pt (+50%) advantage. Because Affliction has a base cost of 10 points, each ±10% gives ±1 pt to the (per-level) cost, regardless of what other modifiers are present. So Hard to Kill +2 would be worth +40%, for a total enhancement value of +30% and a cost of [13].
Man , you're fast! <g>

What I meant to ask, was, is it kosher for the ability to ever be cost-driven below the basic 10-point Affliction cost? Or at least "net out" to 10 points? By having more disadvantages then advantages?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Man , you're fast! <g>

What I meant to ask, was, is it kosher for the ability to ever be cost-driven below the basic 10-point Affliction cost? Or at least "net out" to 10 points? By having more disadvantages then advantages?
With sufficient limitations, you can take Affliction down to [2 per level].

Affliction X
+1000% Enhancements
-1080% Limitations
Cost? [2 per X]
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
vierasmarius

Quote:
Man , you're fast! <g>
"He who has no life can respond in no time."

Quote:
Oh, sure, that's fine. Limitations can drop a trait down to a minimum of 20% it's base cost; Affliction could go as cheap as [2] per level, but Warp (normally [100]) could only be limited to a minimum of [20]. And yes, a beneficial Affliction can potentially be cheaper than the advantage it's afflicting. The limitations placed on it to get it so low prevent it from being a point crock.

Tags
aura of power