Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: What type of book would you most like to see produced for TFT?
Bestiary/Natural Encyclopedia 23 46.00%
Atlas & Gazeteer 4 8.00%
Grimoire of Uncommon Spells 6 12.00%
Adventures 5 10.00%
Mass Combat Rules 6 12.00%
Other (please explain in your reply) 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #31
the1weasel

Default Re: TFT Books We'd Like to See

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
...and that takes more time than I have these days. :/
I feel you, man. Big reason mine's not complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Maybe in a month or so it will be polished enough to share.
I'd like to consider collaborating or contributing if you think it will help. I'd really like to have a good set like this available for playing solo. I've printed my cards on paper, placed them in card sleeves (color coded) with MTG lands and commons behind them for better shuffling. Sleeves make for a physically large deck, but I think it's a really cool concept to be able to use sleeves in this way to do the swapping out so that everything looks nice.

Another thing I do is that some of my cards are removed from the adventure after they are drawn, and some cards cause you to gather all used cards in that deck and reshuffle.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #32
DarkPumpkin

I chose Atlas and gazetteer. I'd like to see a new area of Cidri created, as long as it was not seen as the new default setting but just as a specific self-contained product.

My top pick for new TFT product, though, remains new pocket boxes with map, counters and scenarios (solitaire or group).
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:04 AM   #33
ParadoxGames

Would a Beastiary include counters of the creatures?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:28 AM   #34
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
Would a Beastiary include counters of the creatures?
Only the good people at SJGames can answer that. But since this is about what We'd Like to See, I'd venture to guess that pretty much everyone one would want counters on heavy stock.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #35
larsdangly

I think a Beastiary is the perfect opportunity to get some official-product-line quality counters for things we are missing from our current sets. Most obviously, we need 2-hex counters for mounts. But there are a bunch of other things that would really punch up the completeness and quality of the product line as a whole - a couple of vampires, a werewolf or two, reptile men, etc. And I'm dying to get my hands on a few prootwaddle counters!

I never thought I'd say it, but between the LE set, the Adventures set and Decks of Destiny, we will probably have a solid 'critical mass' of MH tiles. There are a number of other physical components to consider (treasure cards, etc.), but the weak spot among major components will be the counters.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #36
JLV

I could still see SJGs doing some "Megahex and Counter Packs" of various things for sale separately (or as part of a Kickstarter's stretch goals); they could theme them, if they wanted -- "Beneath the Sea" for example, or "In the Woods." They could include any special rules and/or characteristics in the packs -- kind of like those old Car Wars autoduel packs they used to do...

I'd love to see counters included WITH the Bestiary of course -- and even nicer would be if they made multiple copies of the countersheets available to us all so we wouldn't come up short on whatever monster it is...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #37
the1weasel

My number one accessory I'd like to see to make the game easier to teach and learn is cards for spells and talents. It is so much easier for new players to have a quick-reference for those talents and spells that they have access to rather than thumbing through the pages. The Wizard spell list is good, but doesn't include many of the utility spells which are needed for a full RPG adventure character. Likewise talents.

New players who have never seen the system before greatly appreciate cards with short descriptions and only of their specific talents and spells. They don't want to weed through all the other spells and talents and, as a GM, I don't want them to become distracted reading the cool things that their character can't do. It makes the difference between everyone just saying "I'll play a fighter." so they don't hold up the game looking up spells or talents.

When you hand someone a small stack of playing or index sized cards and say "This is your spellbook." it's (in my experience) always well received...
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #38
hcobb

Talent and spell cards could also be used to customize stock character cards.

Just add the memory point numbers for wizard or hero and shuffle the excess cards back into the deck.

Rather than having 170 distinct talent cards, collapse some of the multi-level like Toughness and Missile weapons, reduce the mundanes down to three cards, have one card for all languages, etc. Then add in duplicates of common talents like Sword (which of course lists ST and Dam for all swords on it) to get around 100 talent cards.

Unarmed Combat Five would list memory point costs of 11 and 22 instead of forcing the user to find the other cards of course.

Then have a boons deck with Very Fine Weapon, Stone Flesh Ring, 2d Healing Potions, Limited Wish, etc.

Last edited by hcobb; 10-16-2019 at 12:11 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #39
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Talent and spell cards could also be used to customize stock character cards.
Sort of like the Skill Cards in Decks of Destiny?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #40
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1weasel View Post
Sort of like the Skill Cards in Decks of Destiny?
Only much more modular. Add exactly one talent (and the matching weapon or tool).

And no need to hit the book because how to use the talent is printed on the card.

Tags
books, poll