Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: Setting Up a D&D character.

5e is unusual in that you don't get your "real" class until level 3. That's where the significant class-defining abilities show up. Even the xp table shows that the first two levels are just intro levels that you blow through really quickly. If you want to multiclass, you'd probably much rather be 3/3 than 4/2. (I suppose it could be a short-term plan, expecting to rapidly pick up level 3 in the lower class, and just willing to suffer in the meantime.)

Like most editions of D&D and Pathfinder, multiclassing in 5e is broken. Not the worst of the various editions, but you're definitely weakening the character overall. He'll be tougher than a pure wizard, no doubt, but that will have a high cost when it comes to solving game problems. Some multiclasses will work ok at low levels, but they fade rapidly, as two 10th level characters just aren't a match for a 20th level threat (and a multiclass isn't even really two full characters, having only half the actions and HP of two toons).

The Combat Caster feat will be obligatory if you're going to be casting from the front line.

If you want some physical skills, you might consider rogue. ("Feats are for fighters, skills are for rogues.") Barbarian calls for STR and CON, while lots of the physical skills call for DEX and perhaps Wisdom (Perception, Survival). Then sorceror calls for CHA. You wind up spreading the character pretty thin. Rogue means you can focus DEX and CHA, with INT or maybe CON for toughness or flavor. Perhaps a sort of inverse of the Arcane Trickster, mostly caster with some rogue, instead of a rogue with some spell support.

Eldritch Knight is a spellcasting fighter, though I can't really recommend it. Even as a single class, it doesn't seem to work well.

Monk/cleric would be another possible multiclass with physical abilities and spells, letting you focus on DEX and WIS, minoring in CON (which also helps those concentration saves), stronger HP than mixes involving sorc or wizard. Also more freeform casting, if that's why you like sorc instead of wiz.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The PC is supposed to seem like a big dumb jock while being a intellectual.
Wizards are the only Int based casters.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
ak_aramis

Multi-classing in 5E was explicilty stated to be designed to be suboptimal, so fewer people would do it.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Multi-classing in 5E was explicilty stated to be designed to be suboptimal, so fewer people would do it.
There seem to be a few cases where multiclassing is viable (rogue/fighter seems doable), but barbarian/sorcerer isn't one of them.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There seem to be a few cases where multiclassing is viable (rogue/fighter seems doable), but barbarian/sorcerer isn't one of them.
5e is very careful about always giving everyone at least something at every level and usually in a very specific order.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #16
Astromancer

I've done some rethinking. Although Barbarian slash Sorcerer makes logical sense, barbarians in fantasy settings being more likely to interact with the kinds of beings that breed Sorcerers, it's too involved for my needs. So I'm now looking at a fighter from a fishing community. Two levels of fighter with four levels of sorcerer.

I'm going with the fisher background.

I'm still thinking a kid from the sticks falls in love with civilisation tries to become a Wizard discovers he's a Sorcerer. And I'm still going with Storm Sorcerer.

What fighter perks should I take. The group will be sailing in the GM's equivalent of the Mediterranean Sea. And I'm a PC with a nautical background. But most adventures will be on land.

Further, I'm thinking my cantrips should be Bonfire (fire damage and pragmatic non combat utility), Light (always useful), Move Earth (many uses including making defenses, digging up stuff, burying foes in dirt), and Minor Illusion( a grab bag of useful tricks). Reactions?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote