Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: How Many High-IQ Wizards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If you take Dran as a bit of a backwater that gives you a total population of just under a million to slightly above two million. Depending how on much wizardry is put into health and sanitation services for the core cities.
My Dran is more or less average for an Elyntian Duchy. But as I mentioned before, my actual population numbers are a lot larger than what's mentioned in ITL, as needed to support what's found in the cities, the standing armies, and the number of armed men roaming around killing each other in all the adventures and random encounters that go on as seen in play. The royal province is a very large city.

Quote:
Are there any humans in Dran over a hundred? How do they afford this?
Yes.
What do you mean?

Quote:
ITL 16: "Note: Just because the abbreviations are the same, don’t mistake game “IQ” for the factor that is measured by a realworld IQ test. IQ 18 doesn’t mean that you have a real-world IQ of 180. It means that you have learned a lot of things and keep in practice with them."
Yes, which explains why the dedicated and older wizards tend to be the ones with the higher IQs.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #22
hcobb

The top listed wizard job at ITL 59 pays $15k a year.

By ITL 148 Youth costs $40k a year.

Who can afford to live forever?
Old 09-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I've made quite a few efforts over the decades as GM to do demographics, and it is an interesting and useful but complicated thing, and nearly impossible to really get right in detail.
I presume you've seen S. John Ross' Medieval Demographic Made Easy?

I've seen it automated in several places, and I make frequent use of this one on donjon myself.

It's a good start.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #24
Skarg

Quote:
The top listed wizard job at ITL 59 pays $15k a year.

By ITL 148 Youth costs $40k a year.

Who can afford to live forever?
Hopefully, no one can afford to live forever! Certainly not as a routine thing allowed by ordinary salaries on the jobs table. Why would you even begin to think that Youth potions would or should be affordable?

If they were, then one might expect all people with enough means to afford them, to be unaging, and there to be quite a few people as old as that situation had started to exist, who would tend to have a world-twisting amount of knowledge, social background, abiliity levels, and probably wealth.

There may still be some such people, but at least the cost and difficulty of getting working Youth potions poses some sort of interesting obstacle.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #25
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I presume you've seen S. John Ross' Medieval Demographic Made Easy?

I've seen it automated in several places, and I make frequent use of this one on donjon myself.

It's a good start.
Yes I have! And yes, it is a good start.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #26
hcobb

My assumption was 11 people per square mile of Dran.

If the population actually is half a million then there would be 1.6k wizards, each active for an average of 30 years and so a graduating class of 60, which means there are two or three Hogwarts in Dran, rather than the one I postulate.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #27
KevinJ

Quote:
My assumption was 11 people per square mile of Dran.

If the population actually is half a million then there would be 1.6k wizards, each active for an average of 30 years and so a graduating class of 60, which means there are two or three Hogwarts in Dran, rather than the one I postulate.
There is an article somewhere on the web, I can't seem to find it now, that talks about how many people one square mile of land can support.

The base line for arable land is around 120 people per 1 square mile of farmland. So for every square mile of decent farmland you can provide enough food for 120 people, a city of 120,000 people would require 1,000 square miles of decent farmland.

Magic, agricultural technology, and weather conditions can increase this value. This also includes the village the people live in and the roads needed to comment the villages with towns and cities. So if you have a lot of good farm land bolstered by magic and good farming techniques you could push that up to 200 people per square mile and thus support large populations of non-farmers.