Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default Dark Ages Character Templates

I'm working on a campaign for one of the re-enactment groups I'm involved in set in the Dark Ages. The characters are a warband of Anglo Saxons on a quest to save the local lord's daughter from Viking raiders, though they can be people from a variety of backgrounds (many Saxon warbands were bassically concripts). I'm trying to put together templates for the period (mostly for NPCs) but I've hit a bit of block trying to think of what I'll need to write. I guess the Question for the hive mind is what kinds of people will you encounter in Early Mediecal Europe (If you want to have a crack at writing templates for them you'll get more points towards knowledge: RPGs)?

On another note has anyone run a historical campaign like this before? What advice can you offer? Also are there any good webresources on the period that would be useful for roleplaying?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Ed the Coastie

Default Re: Dark Ages Character Templates

My first, knee-jerk reaction is to ask if you have looked at GURPS Middle Ages 1; it covers the period in which you have set your game. You may also wish to take a look at GURPS Camelot, although the "Historical" chapter is set a bit before what you had in mind.

The closest I have ever come to running such a game myself was an AD&D 2e campaign set during the Holy Roman Empire in the time of Charlemagne. (It was my wife's first gaming experience...and she did rather well even than.) I used the AD&D HR-series "greenbooks" Charlemagne's Paladins and Vikings as my sources.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Amra

Have you got GURPS Historical Folk 4e? Here's a link:
http://www.mygurps.com/ghf.html
Amra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Here's my rough list:

Archer - Historical Folks Soldier with Archer Lens or Fantasy Archer
Bard - Historical Folks Minstrel or Fantasy Bard
Farmer - Historical Folks Peasant
Fisherman - Historical Folks Fisherman
Herder - Historical Folks Herder
Hermit - Historical Folks Hermit
Housewife
Hunter - Historical Folks Hunter
Leatherworker - Historical Folks Leatherworker
Man-at-Arms (Knight, Carl or Thane)
Midwife - Historical Folks Midwife
Miner - Historical Folks Miner
Monk - Historical Folks Monk
Nobleman (King, Jarl or Elder) - Historical Folks Feudal Nobleman, Commander or Ruler
Noblewoman - Historical Folks Noblewoman
Nun - Historical Folks Monk
Outcast - Historical Folks Pariah
Peddler - Historical Folks Teamster or Vendor
Pilgrim - Historical Folks Pilgrim
Priest - Historical Folks Priest
Prostitute - Historical Folks Courtesan
Sailor - Historical Folks Sailor
Senior Cleric (Bishop, Abbott, Abbess) - Combine Historical Folks Monk or Priest with Politician
Shipmaster - Combine Historical Folks Merchant with Sailor
Slave - Historical Folks Domestic Servant, Labourer or Peasant plus Social Stigma (Valuable Property)
Smith - Historical Folks Smith
Tinker - Historical Folks Tinker
Woodworker

I'll have a hunt around for suitable templates...

Last edited by Sam Baughn; 11-12-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Man-at-Arms
80 Points

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 11 [10].

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs; HP 11 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0].

Advantages: Status 2* [5]; Wealth (Wealthy) [20]; 15 points from Combat Reflexes [15], Fearlessness [2/level], Fit [5] or High Pain Threshold [10].

Disdvantages: Duty (Leige Lord, Fairly Often) [-5] and another -15 points chosen from Bad Temper [-10], Berzerk [-10], Callous [-5], Impulsiveness [-10], Overconfidence [-5], Sense of Duty [Variable] or Stubbornness [-5].

Primary Skills: Spear (A) DX+1 [4]-12; One of Brawling (E) DX+1 [4]-12, Fast Draw (Knife or Sword) (E) DX+2 [4]-13, Hiking (A) HT+1 [4]-12, Running (A) HT+1 [4]-12 or Wrestling (A) DX+1 [4]-12.

Secondary Skills: Two of Axe/Mace (A) DX [2]-11, Broadsword (A) DX [2]-11, Intimidation (A) Will [2]-10, Shield (E) DX+1 [2]-12, Tactics (H) IQ-1 [2]-9, Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace or Spear) (A) DX [2]-11; Two of Crewman (Seamanship) (E) IQ+1 [2]-11, Knife (E) DX+1 [2]-12, Leadership (A) IQ [2]-10, Riding (Horse) (A) DX [2]-11, Soldier (A) IQ [2]-10 or Two-Handed Axe/Mace (A) DX [2]-11.

Background Skills: Two of Administration (A) IQ [2]-10, Bow (A) DX [2]-11, Carousing (E) HT+1 [2]-12, Climbing (A) DX [2]-11, Swimming (E) HT+1 [2]-12 or Tracking (A) Per [2]-10.

* Includes +1 Status for Wealth.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Rotwang

Cool! I've run an Anglo-Saxon/Mystery/Horror game on and off since just before 4/e came out.

Some useful PC templates are:
Thane
Huscarl/Viking
Skald
Monk/Nun
Priest
Fyrdman

Higher ranking churchman/nobles would be useful too as NPCs. Plus craftsmen/merchants...
Rotwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
On another note has anyone run a historical campaign like this before? What advice can you offer? Also are there any good webresources on the period that would be useful for roleplaying?
I don't think it is available on the web, but when I read this book I found it reeeally interesting:

The Medieval World: The History of European Society (Jacques Le Goff)

This books "Offers 10 profiles written by 10 of today's leading medievalists: monks, the warrior & the knight, the peasant & agriculture, the city-dweller & life in cities & towns, the intellectual, the artist, the merchant, women & the family, the saint, & the marginal man. Opens a delightful window into the past & will be essential reading for students of the medieval period & for those fascinated by the Middle Ages. Suggested readings & bibliography conclude each profile."

If you manage to read it, is seems to be exactly what you're looking for!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
macphersonrants

GURPS Vikings is the closest source book to what you are looking for. Celtic Myth might be helpful as well. Middle Ages is really too late.

Tags
character templates, dark ages, early medieval, templates, viking