Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: DF: Witch Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
My comment wasn't about realistic attribute limitations. I just pointed out that with this template all witches are geniuses, and that seems wrong for the genre.
It would make sense to define a list of iconic Witch skills, and then either invent a Talent that boosts those skills, or else find an existing Talent, and then give the Witch template a couple of levels of that Talent, with the option of buying 2 more, while lowering template IQ by 2. That saves the "genius effect" for Wizards and Sages (although as usual when unplanned additions gets added, there's more overlap than is good between old and new material).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
4) Responding to solicited criticism with numbered lists is rude.
? I find it a lot easier to keep a list of separate points straight if they're in a list. I have to say, I do it all the time on the forums here and you're the first person to complain about it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
A main-gauche is a knife. Really. It's just a knife wielded with flare and style.

As far as carving out a niche goes and thinking about what a male witch looks like... the entire template is written up using masculine pronouns. The niche is versatile but low-powered magical generalist. I could have added more demonology, but I wanted to keep the witch more on the side of non-evil than that.
First, the fact that the main-gauche is wielded differently than a knife is WHY it has a different skill. The difference between the two isn't "merely stylistic." I've never ever seen a witch depicted as a fencer, with the possible exception of Witchalocks, but let's not go there.

And the cackling witch needn't be evil. The Discworld witches certainly fit that motiff nicely, while staying decidedly on the side of good. I was thinking less demons and more "Strange spirits that clerics and druids don't deal with."
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
Dwarf99

I'm going through the spells in this template and making them into powers, because I just like it much better that way, so far main problems I'm looking at are about Storm, the cost of Create Weather in Powers is ridiculous compared to the cost of Storm. Any ideas for making it cheaper?

Second thing, I looked at the possibility of adding Independant to Prep Time 1 hour to simulate the fact that the storm takes an hour to build up (in essence the storm takes 1 hour to "build itself" up) I know this isn't really even close to RAW but any body got ideas?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I'm going through the spells in this template and making them into powers, because I just like it much better that way, so far main problems I'm looking at are about Storm, the cost of Create Weather in Powers is ridiculous compared to the cost of Storm. Any ideas for making it cheaper?

Second thing, I looked at the possibility of adding Independant to Prep Time 1 hour to simulate the fact that the storm takes an hour to build up (in essence the storm takes 1 hour to "build itself" up) I know this isn't really even close to RAW but any body got ideas?
Instead of using Create Water, try Control Weather instead. Storms don't just give rain coming down, they include wind as well, and occasionally have lightning and thunder involved. Using Control Weather (very common or godlike, I'd say), you're able to use the ambient air and clouds to create the effects.

As far as cost is concerned, you're looking at an ability which has a lot of utility, hence the higher price when using Powers. I'd probably use Costs FP at 1 FP per hex affected per minute, which pretty much means that large-scale effects are going to fatigue the caster.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
Dwarf99

turns out I'm a complete doofus I didn't see that the radius for Natural Phenomenon was .1 mile

Last edited by Dwarf99; 06-18-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: fixed the brain fart
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I'm going through the spells in this template and making them into powers, because I just like it much better that way
I like that… the term “Witch” is more suggestive to me of Magic as Powers, rather than spells.

Regarding the IQ: I found the IQ 15 a bit off-putting at first, but I think you can distinguish the template from the more bookish Wizards by just reducing the number of IQ-based skills.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
Dwarf99

well, Granny Weatherwax is around 18 or 19 in third and she calls psychology Headology, and basically talks like a real "rustic"
Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #19
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
well, Granny Weatherwax is around 18 or 19 in third and she calls psychology Headology, and basically talks like a real "rustic"
Some variant of Social Stigma, that makes people assume her GURPS IQ is much lower than it is. Shouldn't be worth much, since she can (and will!) take advantage of being underestimated.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #20
Dwarf99

she only gets underestimated outside Lancre and there's only been a few books where she was put in said situations...

Tags
dungeon fantasy, templates