Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Firelizards in 4e

You might find this variant on Based on (Different Attribute) useful on Warp:

The GM may permit this modifier on advantages that require the user to roll against his own DX, IQ, HT, Will, or Per, shifting the roll to another of these scores. This still costs +20%.

It's from some book that's coming out soon.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
You might find this variant on Based on (Different Attribute) useful on Warp:

The GM may permit this modifier on advantages that require the user to roll against his own DX, IQ, HT, Will, or Per, shifting the roll to another of these scores. This still costs +20%.

It's from some book that's coming out soon.
Gadzooks and egads man! You mean that there will be additional rules . . . oh, sorry. I just can't keep doing it.

That's a good point though. Might see about basing it off of Per. That would make a lot of sense. It's not actually intelligence-driven.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
You might find this variant on Based on (Different Attribute)
Humm. Not sure this would help over much. unless prehaps shift it to Per,

Now Firelzard are at least as if not more intellgant Kea, Dolphins, and Chimps.

So changing it to

Attribute Modifiers
Gold/Bronze: ST-4 [-40], DX+1 [20], IQ-3[-30], HT+3 [30] {0}
Brown: ST-5 [-50], DX+2 [40], IQ-4 [-40] HT+2 [20] {-10}
Blue/Green: ST-6 [-60], DX+3 [30], IQ-5[-50]. HT+2 [20] {-40}
Secondary Characteristics Modifers:
SM-3, Per + 4 [20]

and

Warp (+10 Reliable +50%, Based on Per, +20%, Psi -10%, Uncontrlible -10%, Travel time 1 second in *Between* per 2,000 miles -10%, Keeps orientation and momentum (bases on 3e) -50%, Loose Body parts that intersect with solids (based on 3e) -50% ) [40],

Bring the totals to :
Brown: 129 (134 if impressed)
Blue/Green: 99 (104 if impresed)

People happer with this?

And what about Detect? This is already based on Perstion, But there ment to beable to locate a person they know anywhere on Pern, but using this abilty is linked to their Warp ability, ie the use the ability to target ther warp, but only to warp. (ie if they try to find some the warp to them look around. and then warp back and can only report what they saw.)

Last edited by roguebfl; 06-06-2005 at 07:07 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

With those racial HT bonuses, I'd go for HT, not Per.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
With those racial HT bonuses, I'd go for HT, not Per.
debatible from a consept issue, but your point makes sence a machincs point. Anne deftly wrote it as a Psionic/Mental thing (she stressed the improtance of paying attention to you destionan cordinates).[bess up and you can become one with your destnation]

Though the HT is goning the help them, in the fact the they can hand the lack of breathing in *between* better.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #16
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Right, it's more of an IQ/Per thingy. They (or their bound friend) must know where they're going. Without that, they'll get lost between forever.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #17
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
They Already have the maximum +10 reliable.
Maximum shmaximum, the rules are there to assist in shaping the genre, not to restrain it. When some silly restriction gets in the way, boot it, and make it squeak to the tune you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
debatible from a consept issue, but your point makes sence a machincs point. Anne deftly wrote it as a Psionic/Mental thing (she stressed the improtance of paying attention to you destionan cordinates).[bess up and you can become one with your destnation]
Concept wise, I would base it off Per, but don't forget you can also give them a few levels of Psi Talent too.

The only problem with having Gold/Bronze IQ at 7, is that when you have the especially notably clever lizard, which there were several of, they should easily be +2 or +3 above their brethren, which would give them IQ 10+, this may or may not be an issue.
Besides, didn't they often have Browns which were smarter than bronzes?

BTW, don't you need to give them Jumper too?
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:45 AM   #18
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Concept wise, I would base it off Per, but don't forget you can also give them a few levels of Psi Talent too.

True Ze, But I would rather leave Talents to indvidulese rather than racial when possible 8) [Though that beiong said I can think of a few racial that would have racial talents, inparticual Artificer]

[Edit: I know Have not been noting Why Type of Spy the psi liumations are. Based on Anne's works Telesend, Mindread, and Detect will all be Telepathy, with Warp and Jumper being Telekenius [she goes in more depth in her Talents/Tower & Hive series, but enough hints in "All the Weyr of Pern" that she use the sem Psi setup] which she trees Teleptation as an advance form of Telekenitics ]

Quote:
The only problem with having Gold/Bronze IQ at 7, is that when you have the especially notably clever lizard, which there were several of, they should easily be +2 or +3 above their brethren, which would give them IQ 10+, this may or may not be an issue.
Besides, didn't they often have Browns which were smarter than bronzes?
Well it the fact that All the Queens and Bronze we meet are described as bein cleaver in some way which is on of the reason I gave them a Higher IQ 8).

as for the browns, not really, thare are only really 3 brown lizards we hear much about, Melloy's Lazybones, Mimic, and Brownie. and two out of the three I would put deflt middle of the road, with Mimic being possable the only one I might consder better.

Now in the Dragons there is a Brown we hear a lot about whow is know for being smart, F'nor's Canth, but he is also noted for being exctional for a Brown.

Quote:
BTW, don't you need to give them Jumper too?
yes if the campain allows for it then Firelizards can justify having it. Though due to presentiace can't really use it [Though PC Firelizards I could see buying ouff the presentiace]

I should list it as a optional.

Humm, lets see Lessa timed it back 200 Turns (or so) and nearlly killed herself due th the sensory deparvation and lack of oxygen. Now was born privlaged, but gree up as a drudge under Fax, so lets for the argument sake give her HT 11, and Fit. Now she was the first person in Modern times to "Time it" and no idea that it would take longer tha normal 3 seconds to go *Between*, though she can't really be condsidered exerting herself when travling between (other keeping focused on her desnation) So Thats HTx10/2 55 seconds. before lost of Fatigue kicks in. she has 11 Fatigue to lose so that 66 seconds. She was quite will full, but she did loose conciuse ness so lets rund that up to 70 seconds. now as she was jumping from Rutha to Rutha we don't need to count and time for location change, that works out to a Travel speed of 3 turns per second. This would be a vartion on the Multiple jump limation.

So

Jumper (Time) (Travel time 3 Turns(years) per second, nothing to Breath between] -10%, Psi -10%) [80]

Last edited by roguebfl; 06-07-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

I'm not at all happy with

Quote:
Telescan aka Detect (Personally Known Beings (base 20), Precise +100%, Increased range (100x) +60%), Psi -10% ) [50]
I should have Noted it on workes if the Target is Conscious (as per the Kidnapping of MasterHarper Robinson.)

Though There is no where on Pern that a Firelizard can't find you [just as young Lord Joxom, though they can't find you if you not in your proper time ;)]

Now correct my if I'm getting this wrong, first Pern is roughly Earth Sized.

Modfiler: Normal /100x
-23: 15,000 yd ( 7.5 miles) / 1,500,000 yd (750 miles)
-30: 200,000 yd (100 miles) / 20,000,000 yd (10,000 miles) [as All the Weyrs of Pern have them go at leas are far as the old Colony ships parked in a milium old stabe geosycrony orbit]

those are hefty pentles on a 9-11 Per roll (atmittlbe the indivtuals might have bones from hiher Per/and or Psi talent). Is there any modifers that I'm missing or should I go with a larger Incressed Range enhancement?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #20
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Ok first post updated with Telescan rebuild using GURPS Power's Long Range enhancement.

Telescan aka Detect (Personally Known Beings (base 20), Long range +100%), Psi -10% ) [38]

meaning it will not have any penalties for range

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-28-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Tags
aliens, pern, racial templates, templates