Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #1
Whitelaughter

Default An alternate take on the Olympians

While in canon IN the pagan gods were largely destroyed in battle, an alternate possibility struck me the other day. Consider that:

- a major aspect of the Olympians was enforcing the rights of guests, heralds and ambassadors. Known as Xenia(Greek) or Hospitium (Latin) the custom stated that these were under the protection of Zeus.

- meanwhile, all Christians are 'ambassadors of Christ' (2 Corinthians 5:20)...and so would be under the protection of Zeus!

No matter how much the Greek-o-Roman gods disliked it, they'd be obliged by their nature to defend the adherents of the new religion (although not the religion itself). That the new religion is 'foreign' actually makes that obligation stronger. Rather than being wiped out by Uriel, the Olympians would have spent themselves defending a religion that was costing them worshippers.

That, in turn, could explain why the renaissance saw a flowering of art celebrating the Olympians: those in the know realised that their defenders were fading from existence and arranged for a flow of power that would be enough to protect their protectors.

Of course, those most strongly bound by the bonds of hospitality - like Zeus - would be the ones who were the first to fade from existence: and thus we have Athena now in charge.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: An alternate take on the Olympians

That is a fascinating take on the matter. Undone by generosity ... one wonders what Marc must think. Never mind Lilith ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #3
Jason

Default Re: An alternate take on the Olympians

I love this!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote