Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Rasputin

Default [DF] Jean-Éric Adventurer and his mirror image monster

I bought the Creature Crafter from Word Mill Games about a year ago, and it needs the average stats of your player characters to come up with suitable monsters. Thus, I wound up averaging out the stats of all Dungeon Fantasy templates, and I thought I'd post them, with some additional assumptions, to see how well such a blandosity would fare as a way to balance encounters, since some folks are obsessed with that.

Stats (Short Version): All Basic Attributes are 12; Secondary Characteristics are at default from their primary characteristics.

Stats (Long Version): Most Basic Attributes are at 12 and most Secondary Characteristics are unchanged. HP *might* be at 13, though any extra comes wholly from the Barbarian. The most important differences are for DX and Basic Move. Basic Move is at about 6.5; Basic Speed is actually at about 6.25 and three templates have a little more Basic Move.

For DX, however, we have it really being at 13.5; no template of the original 11 has less than DX 12 (the shaman has DX 11, but I wound up ignoring those other templates since they tend to be more spellcasters than a normal party has). Honestly, I'd balance this extra DX for the party against the fact that almost all monsters have Combat Reflexes while maybe half, tops, starting characters will have it (Knight and Swashbuckler always have it, four other templates list it as optional).

Sword skills, bowhunting skills, nunchaku skills: a character's primary melee skill is at 15, on average, or 15.5. I tended to use the highest option for skill packages, tending towards swords or other Average skills. His primary ranged weapon skill is at 14 (14.4); I tended towards Bow. His Shield is 14 (14.5); I included defaults in the average, but tended to assign Shield skill if the template had it.

I didn't bother to look at other skills, since I was doing this with an eye to making foes.

Defenses: I came up with an average unencumbered Dodge of 9 (9.5). Encumbered is where things get goofy. I quickly used Lite's high weights for suits of armor (the characters are carrying other gear) and made rough estimates of how much encumbrance how much a character has. The average template came down to a point of encumbrance. This would lower Dodge, but assuming that shields would raise that back up, on average, I don't think there needs to be anything done. Parry is 11 (10.7) and Block is 10 (9.6). Almost no monster has a Block score.

I wound up calculating that the average delver would have about DR 2 starting out; like Block, this varies wildly. Armor is expensive. There's a reason why DF1 recommends that the heavily-armored Knight trade points from Quirks for money.

Damage: I gave each DF character a melee weapon, usually a sword of some sort, and then calculated the average damage. This came out to 6 points of basic damage, and again, most characters had cutting weapons. Thus, when Jean-Éric and Zhenarik spar against each other, they'll do 6 points of damage, after DR and weapon type, on a successful hit, which will happen a little less than half the time.

So, to sum all this up: DF characters have stats averaging 12, though a bit more nimble than that, and do 6 points of damage on a hit, which they'll do about half the time.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters, templates