Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
cell

Default Gurps Delta Green

For those of you who don't know, delta green is an off shoot of call of cthulhu. It takes place in the modern day with the player characters playing government agents who also work for delta green. Delta green is a shadowy government conspiracy that isn't supposed to exist anymore seeing as it was disbanded in the late 60's. They fight monster. They deal with problems that most people don't even know exist in the first place. I have played this game with my friends for years and it is a personal favorite. My only problem is I don't care for the percentile system. I was wondering is anyone had and premade templates for government agents? F.b.i., c.i.a., d.e.a.? Anything like that will be helpful. Also I have an idea for the first scenarios using gurps. It will start with the everyone playing as deputies in a small town. Then a horrible murder happens and they realize how out of there depth they are so they call the f.b.i. When the agent's get there the players will recognize them as there old characters from delta green. Then the player character behavior starts but not from the player characters. I have noticed that my gaming groups mind set has gotten to "Its all for the greater good." Which is fine by me but they have used that on a few occasion that were a bit to far in my opinion. So I want them to play the npc's who call for help and are happy when they get there. Then slowly weird things start happening. Towns people disappear or turn up dead. Houses are set on fire. An old woman is beaten to death with a frying pan and none of the deputies know what's going on (Steve if you come look at this later, yes I am talking about you, and no killing an old woman with a frying pan should not be your knee jerk reaction when you think she might be "one of them") anyway. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Gurps Delta Green

I've used GURPS to run something related, Charles Stross' Laundry setting. It worked fine.

What you need is a copy of GURPS Cthulhupunk, which has a lot about translating from the CoC system to GURPS. Don't get too worried about the details, though. It's out-of-print and there is no PDF, but there are copies on Amazon, at sadly high prices.

Last edited by johndallman; 06-07-2015 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Correction
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
Juca

Well, Delta Green is easily converted to GURPS without much fuss. The only thing you will really need is the monsters converted, and maybe the more robust rules for fright checks and madness. There is no such detailed rules for madness and fear in GURPS Horror?
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
Randyman

Don't overlook GURPS Monster Hunters, which has done a lot of heavy lifting for you.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Don't overlook GURPS Monster Hunters, which has done a lot of heavy lifting for you.
You beat me to it. And if MH at 400 points isn't your cup of tea, run it with Action templates at 250 points.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
cell

250 sounds more what I'm going for. I once ran a game with pregen characters that were special forces and two of my friends who know me well were, at first just staring in disbelief. Then as the game went one they were waiting for the other shoe to drop. "So you mean to tell me we are well armed bad assess who know what we are doing? Well looks like none of are equipment is going to do anything but weigh us down." I want that felling of helpless when they are fighting the things beyond time and space and I think lower points will help in the regard. And my general rule for weapons is go nuts but be realistic. "You mean to tell my your computer analyst owns a desert eagle?" Its not like guns solve all there problems and they even get them deeper into trouble most of the time. And for any fans of the horror genre there is an old radio show I heard a little while ago called Quiet Please. The episode is called the thing on the fourble board. There as a game in there I just haven't worked all the details out yet.
cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You beat me to it. And if MH at 400 points isn't your cup of tea, run it with Action templates at 250 points.
MH supports both 400- and 200-point heroes, right out of the box, so I'd suggest the latter over trying to force Action into a mold it wasn't designed for.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
MH supports both 400- and 200-point heroes, right out of the box, so I'd suggest the latter over trying to force Action into a mold it wasn't designed for.
I'd forgotten about how powerful Sidekicks are, and the dedicated support.

I disagree that Action isn't well suited to a Delta Green game, though.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd forgotten about how powerful Sidekicks are, and the dedicated support.

I disagree that Action isn't well suited to a Delta Green game, though.
IMO, Action works if the PCs are going to start out knowing nothing about the Mythos, etc. If they are "in the know" from the start, MH works better; Sidekicks hits that lower power level squarely.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
PK

Exactly. If your intent is for competent heroes who (A) know little to nothing about the supernatural and (B) have absolutely no supernatural abilities themselves, then the Action templates fit as-is . . . because basically, you're just running an Action game where the bad guys happen to be supernatural.

Conversely, the 200-point templates in Monster Hunters 4: Sidekicks include options like "dedicated knowledge person" (the occultist) and "person with limited supernatural power" (the gifted or magician), in addition to the more general action-hero tropes. They're also all built from the ground up to face the specific challenges of hunting monsters, where the Action templates are built to face people.

So, since the Monster Hunters heroes are built on 200 points but optimized specifically for facing monsters, while the Action heroes are built on 250 points but made to deal with people, there's an interesting dichotomy where the former are better at facing supernatural things specifically, but the latter are better at other, more general challenges.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delta green, monster hunters