Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #101
weby

Default Re: They should really fix that in Cabaret Chicks on Ice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Has anyone brought up the miraculous bullet-proof shields yet? Refinement of the damage to shields rules would be nice.
Nah, shields should stop assault rifle bullets 99% of the time.. :)
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #102
nik1979

Weby just reminded me of something. I think, there should be a descriptive difference between "Historical- Near realistic" data and Fantasy stats. We can keep the old shields as "Fantasy" shields and that way keep MUCH of the the old Game Stats as "Fantasy" elements.

Of course realistic armor has easier to Hit chinks and better coverage than the armors given in the Basic Set, Realistic shields are Lighter but more disposable, and certain other rules are for the DF-simplicity.

Ideally the Market of Low Tech extends to not just the GURPS History and Versimilitude Junkies, but to other people who use other Game Systems.

Materials like Grain to Gold, Fief and Fantasy Demographic materials are Cross System tools. IF CCoI comes out with remarkable detail (which I think no other game system save for Harn?) executing TL 1-4 in a way no other Game System may do just as well, it will not just sate the GURPSers but incline people of other systems to check it out when they go all curious about how RL Low tech is supposed to be in comprehend able game format.

Many game Systems bank on Fantasy and the simplicity of it never having to really understand or explain how things work. Of course, there is a market for those who do not want to complicate their game with Paragon Level of spells and options, and instead with realistic limitations.
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #103
NorphTehDwarf

I really hope this particular rotting horse hasn't been beat into the ground yet, but what about alternative materials for weapons, armor, and suchlike?

For armor humans have used everything from wood to jade, and for weapons we've used pretty much everything but chalk (someone on the board is gonna prove me wrong on that last one, but you get my point). I'd like to see cost/damage/breakage statistics for these alternate materials. There've been a few threads about it in the past, but it'd be nice to see some general guidelines set in print to work with. If you give me, say, what a wood-tipped spear does damagewise, I can probably work out how it'd function were it made of mahogany or bamboo, but I'd kinda like that jumping-off point.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #104
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
I really hope this particular rotting horse hasn't been beat into the ground yet, but what about alternative materials for weapons, armor, and suchlike?

For armor humans have used everything from wood to jade, and for weapons we've used pretty much everything but chalk (someone on the board is gonna prove me wrong on that last one, but you get my point). I'd like to see cost/damage/breakage statistics for these alternate materials. There've been a few threads about it in the past, but it'd be nice to see some general guidelines set in print to work with. If you give me, say, what a wood-tipped spear does damagewise, I can probably work out how it'd function were it made of mahogany or bamboo, but I'd kinda like that jumping-off point.
I agree. I'll review the manuscript for such rules and suggest additions.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #105
Peter Knutsen
Banned

The Quest FRP freeware RPG system posits that some kind of phosphor-treatment can be used to create bronze that is comparable to fairly high quality steel, for making weapons arnd armour.

That could be useful to have in GURPS Low-Tech too, for those GMs who wants to (A) have worlds wherein one's use of Arcane magic is rather gimped if one wears ferrous armour and (B) it's a problem that can be bypassed by throwing lots of money at hyper-expensive bronze armour instead of cheaper iron/steel stuff.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #106
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
The Quest FRP freeware RPG system posits that some kind of phosphor-treatment can be used to create bronze that is comparable to fairly high quality steel, for making weapons arnd armour.

That could be useful to have in GURPS Low-Tech too, for those GMs who wants to (A) have worlds wherein one's use of Arcane magic is rather gimped if one wears ferrous armour and (B) it's a problem that can be bypassed by throwing lots of money at hyper-expensive bronze armour instead of cheaper iron/steel stuff.
I don't know specifically what this phosphor treatment is, but I suspect that the game effect would be that it's possible to make Fine and Very Fine bronze things. Which wouldn't bother me at all.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #107
OldSam

Recently in a Roma Arcana Game we had a (funny) situation in which one of the players wanted to throw a big hammer...
I searched the Basic and the forums but didn't find an exact answer which skill/penalty is needed for throwing hammers? Maybe it fits to the "Thrown Weapons: Mace"-Skill...?

If this is something that isn't covered anywhere yet, maybe it could be worth a few sentences in Low Tech? ;-)
(at least Hammer Throwing is a classical 'low-tech' Olympic-Discipline :p)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #108
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Is there any documentation for any such thing having been made in the real world, or for its even being possible in the real world?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #109
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Is there any documentation for any such thing having been made in the real world, or for its even being possible in the real world?
Phosphorus bronze is a real thing (copper, some tin, and a tiny quantity of phosphorus), but IIRC it was invented in the late 19th century. Since phosphorus itself wasn't isolated until the very end of TL4, I think the idea is safely out of scope.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #110
giganerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Recently in a Roma Arcana Game we had a (funny) situation in which one of the players wanted to throw a big hammer...
I searched the Basic and the forums but didn't find an exact answer which skill/penalty is needed for throwing hammers? Maybe it fits to the "Thrown Weapons: Mace"-Skill...?

If this is something that isn't covered anywhere yet, maybe it could be worth a few sentences in Low Tech? ;-)
(at least Hammer Throwing is a classical 'low-tech' Olympic-Discipline :p)
Throwing Weapon is for only those weapons that are balanced for this type of action. Neither all weapons are balanced to be throwing, I stat it to use plain throwing and use the weight for damaging purposes.

Of couse, there is the Throwing Art cinematic skill, to be pretended to throw things like weapons.

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech, ships