Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Spell Errata?

My apologies if these are dealt with elsewhere.

Should Weapon/Armor Enchantment be listed as Special (as are Lesser and Greater Magic Item Creation) instead of Thrown?

Should Control Gate be Thrown instead of Creation? You aren't after all, creating anything with this spell, but changing it.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
amenditman
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida Peninsula, Earth, Sol Sytem
Default Re: Spell Errata?

You could check the Errata page
https://thefantasytrip.game/resources/errata/
__________________
The first rule of GMing
"If you make it, players will break it"
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Axly Suregrip
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default Re: Spell Errata?

I think these are very good questions. I checked the errata that was suggested and neither question was addressed. Not only are Greater and Lesser magic item creation spells type S, but all these item creation spells:

- Greater Magic Item Creation
- Lesser Magic Item Creation
- Expunge
- Blast Trap
- Create/Destroy Elemental
- Write Scroll
- Staff 1-5
- Explosive Gem

The only exceptions, and I agree with you these should be type S but are type T, are these two:

- Weapon/Armor Enchantment
- Duplicate Writing

Regarding Duplicate Writing, notice you cannot throw this spell. The item to copy must be in hand and the copy will appear in the other hand. Too bad for one armed wizards. But copying pages for books of spells and other books is a type of item creation and should be type S.


As far as Control Gate and Create Gate both being type C, yea maybe these should be type S for the same reasoning but I like them as type C. Type C gives it a clear range while type S leaves these undefined.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: Spell Errata?

Weapon/Armor Enchantment (but not Staff) is subject to Remove Thrown Spell, but I wouldn't consider this to a useful tactical option.

Control gate needs the Creation Spell range restriction because otherwise you get two different range rules for stabilize gate. If asked tell the players they are "creating" a new rule set for the gate.

My question is what would happen if you cast Remove Thrown Spell on Duplicate or Delete Writing targets?
__________________
-HJC

Last edited by hcobb; 09-07-2020 at 01:09 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Axly Suregrip
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default Re: Spell Errata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Weapon/Armor Enchantment (but not Staff) is subject to Remove Thrown Spell, but I wouldn't consider this to a useful tactical option.

Control gate needs the Creation Spell range restriction because otherwise you get two different range rules for stabilize gate. If asked tell the players they are "creating" a new rule set for the gate.

My question is what would happen if you cast Remove Thrown Spell on Duplicate or Delete Writing targets?
I agree with you with everything above except Remove Thrown Spell effect on Delete Writing. There are several destructive thrown spells that do their affect and then leave no active magic in place to be removed. These would include: Delete Writing, Cleansing, Death Spell, Destroy Creation, Break Weapon, Drop Weapon, Cleanse Poison, Open Tunnel... These are off the top of my head, so it may be more.

Maybe the whole point of weapon/armor enchantment spell being of thrown type is so they can be easily destroyed. If so, it seems unfair. It takes a powerful mage weeks to create an item only to have a beginning mage undo all that work with one quick spell.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
phiwum
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: Spell Errata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I agree with you with everything above except Remove Thrown Spell effect on Delete Writing. There are several destructive thrown spells that do their affect and then leave no active magic in place to be removed. These would include: Delete Writing, Cleansing, Death Spell, Destroy Creation, Break Weapon, Drop Weapon, Cleanse Poison, Open Tunnel... These are off the top of my head, so it may be more.

Maybe the whole point of weapon/armor enchantment spell being of thrown type is so they can be easily destroyed. If so, it seems unfair. It takes a powerful mage weeks to create an item only to have a beginning mage undo all that work with one quick spell.
Well, it also seems unfair that a beautiful building or artwork can be destroyed by someone lighting a fuse, I guess. It's sadly often the case that destruction is a heck of a lot easier than creation.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: Spell Errata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Well, it also seems unfair that a beautiful building or artwork can be destroyed by someone lighting a fuse, I guess. It's sadly often the case that destruction is a heck of a lot easier than creation.
Then use Dissolve Enchantment (ITL 31) which also works against W/AE.
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
JohnPaulB
 
JohnPaulB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Portland, Maine
Default Re: Spell Errata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
My question is what would happen if you cast Remove Thrown Spell on Duplicate or Delete Writing targets?
Would that be Undelete?
__________________
- Hail Melee

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #9
phiwum
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: Spell Errata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Then use Dissolve Enchantment (ITL 31) which also works against W/AE.
Okay, good point. Since there already is a spell that removes enchantments, it doesn't seem right that Remove Thrown Spell does the same.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: Spell Errata?

Remove Thrown Spell has always seen to me to be cancel a temporary ongoing magic affecting target X.
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
errors, magic, spells

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.