Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
GamerApe

Default TFT Tile Wish List

The announcement of textured tile sets for TFT is welcome; but there's a long way to go to catch up with our square-spaced brethren. Some suggestions to increase the variety of tile sets:

STATUS MARKERS Courtesy of Melee and Wizard we have the "PRONE" status marker. How about markers with "-2DX," "-5DX," "BLUR" or whatever? In a fight with a handful of combatants these markers could prevent confusion.

ITEM TILES One, two hex or single megahex tiles with treasure chests, doors, trees, rock outcroppings, sewer grates, tables, braziers and more. Sure, you could always draw on your tiles, but instead you could quickly populate a bare map by placing pre-drawn items of interest. Printed in color?

CARDBOARD HEROES Newly-sized for the larger hexes. Printed on the same cardstock as the tiles, they would fit the plastic bases sold by SJG. If done in black and white, you could color them yourself.

LARGE MAPS Generic temples, bars, street scenes, lairs and more for characters to adventure in. Not a tile set, but a large folding map. Use the ITEM TILES to customize.

What would you like to see?
GamerApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
tomc

Default Re: TFT Tile Wish List

Tiles for temporary terrain effects: Fire, Wall, Shadow, Slippery Floor, Sticky Floor.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
JimmyPlenty

The item tiles and status markers and temp tiles I second!
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:58 AM   #4
DarkPumpkin

Just put Dyson Logos on retainer and have a tile/megahex Kickstarter. Add to that, single-page encounters linked to battle maps.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
BobP

Many of these are good ideas. Many of these are already solved (fire, wall, and shadow indicators are in Wizard). But ...

A product like this would require new die-cut tooling. And that would make them more expensive that the market would want to bear. Notice the new colored tile sets all use the same die, and that die was made and paid for during Decks of Destiny. And even then it's retailing at $3/sheet (going up over $4/sheet after pre-order.)

As a DIY-er, I'd be fine with a PDF of such things to print and cut on my own, at a (say) $10 price point. Or I'd be fine making my own, at a much lower price point, but I'm not nearly as good a graphic artist.

Cardboard Heroes on the tile stock? You couldn't fold 'em! I'd prefer flat tokens anyway.

Something I'd like would be something like the HeroMachine web app, except it makes top-view line drawings... yes, it wasn't really necessary to SAY I was weird, was it?
BobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
ParadoxGames

I love tiles/token/counters/whatever you prefer to name them.

I made a set of two-sided status counters that represent six states: Standing, prone, kneeling, bending to pick something up, unconscious, and dead. Every player-character gets a set.

Here is a picture of some of these custom-made counters. they are the three directly above "Talents and spells". https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...Assets_640.JPG

Other counters depicted include life (hearts), XP (Trophies) and gold (gold).
Old 06-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #7
ColinK

ProFantasy has a 'Token Treasury' with fun examples and tools for making more.

https://www.profantasy.com/products/tt1.asp#&panel1-1

This idea probably also works well in other art design software.

Of course, I'd need a laser cutter to slice them and their cardboard backing into some of those shapes. Fortunately, the token format and size looks like it would easily be accommodated in some of the cheap CNC router and laser engraving tools at AMAZON.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Engra...879037-5303436

Hmm....
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 AM   #8
Steve Plambeck

Alas, my only real wish is that all these nifty new things were available in the original TFT scale of 15/16" hexes. But I fear that shall never come true.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
ParadoxGames

I thought original scale was 5/8". But I like to print from the PDF or my own original counters at 3/4", very close to classic scale.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:21 AM   #10
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
I thought original scale was 5/8". But I like to print from the PDF or my own original counters at 3/4", very close to classic scale.
I fortuitously just found the original Melee & Wizard maps from the first microgames, and sure enough they were 15/16", which incidentally is also the hex size in the new Legacy pocket box of the two games.

I'd actually just gone decades thinking the original size was 7/8, probably because way back when, 7/8 hex paper was available in big sheets and my old group made extensive use of that for rooms, outdoor settings, and homemade counters. And that was just 1/16 smaller than 15/16 anyway. One of our GMs preferred 3/4 hexes (12/16) so lots of maps and dungeons were to that scale, although the counters I'd made for 7/8" hexes were a pretty tight fit.

I have tons of homemade counters and play aids (buidlings, trees, terrain counters, multi-hex figures) all on 7/8 hexes, much of which I unearthed in just the last year since Legacy arrived. And none of it really meshes with these new, super-sized megahexes.

Sure I can scan and print stuff to any scale desired, but being able to use that new classy things like the play mats and tiles right off the shelf would just have been so nice and easy.