Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #31
larsdangly

Default Re: What is your campaign world

Note there is also a Healing superpower in the Companion volume. The structure of the Supers article reprinted in that volume is useful many things you might want to introduce to a fantasy game. And it is easily hacked so that its point economy goes by XP instead of character points.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #32
Axle

I like gritty role playing so I went with a real swords and sorcery setting and used an old hero games supplement called The Valdorian Age. It’s set in one major city, Eleweir. Just so happens that that is where the Thorzs palace is. Most of the area around the city is the Eurasian steppe, with lots of invading tribes, all being pressed westward from the murgos (the mongols). There is some magic but it’s pretty rare. Some Orcs and goblins and beasts but most people are Human. The players are agents who work for the thorz.

It’s a very deadly environment with lots of tribal loyalties. Makes things a little tricky when there is no good/evil/chaos/law... everything is in shades of gray.

Ages ago- like in the early 80s, I had a ITL world that was based around the duchy of Dran but also included land beyond the maintains- including the forest lord of Dihad and Darok (and the other counties). Very fun times!

The new game I’m running brings back so many fun memories of ITL, melee and wizard.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #33
KevinJ

I took an existing map along with the original geography and place names (originally created when I was running 1E AD&D in the mid 80s) and created a new world based around this map. The player race (kobolds, but the players still believe they are humans), culture, history, religion, and other races were designed from the ground up. All the other races are designed around the player race with explanations for why they are where they are and why they are not where they are not.

For a different game I might use Cidri or might create another unique world. Have I mentioned that I am a compulsive world maker?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #34
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Well, they have the Potion of Extra Healing, which heals 2 ST/dose, costs $300/dose, and is relatively hard to come by.

Night of Rest is IQ12, and costs 2 ST to cast. The target falls into a deep slumber and won't awaken naturally for eight hours. The target gets 1D ST healed during that time. If they are awakened early, they get 1 less ST healed for each hour of sleep they lose (i.e. if they are awakened 2 hours early they only get 1D-2 ST healed). But the target will always receive at least 1 ST healed.

The Healing spell is IQ13, and costs 2 ST to cast per 1 ST healed. It takes one minute to cast and requires the caster and the target to be quiet and still (so no casting in the middle of combat).
I have a series of healing spells that I introduced into my Goranth game. The shorthand is my own dating from the 80s when I ran ITL. (spells type) [ST Cost]: Description/rules

Minor Healing IQ10 (S) [4]: This spell heals the subject for 1d ST. The caster must be in physical contact for 6 consecutive and undisturbed rounds. If the caster has the Priest, Theologian, Physician, or Master Physician talents, add +1 to the roll for each Talent known.
The ST cost for this spell could be raised if you feel that 4 is not enough to balance the 1d of healing since there is no down time for the recipient. The bonuses for Physicker and Master Physicker represent the spell casters better understanding of natural healing. And this bonuses do cost quite a bit in the way of IQ or XP.

Healing IQ13 (S) [7]: This spell heals the subject for 2d HT. The caster must be in physical contact for 12 consecutive and undisturbed rounds. If the caster knows Priest, Theologian, Physician, or Master Physician; add +1 to the roll for each Talent known.

I chose to use 1D and 2D so that the spells would not have a guaranteed ST:healing and so become less reliable in an emergency. There's nothing like casting Healing on a seriously wounded comrade only to roll a 2.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #35
Shostak

You might consider posting your spells in the Show Me the Magic thread on the house rules forum, too.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #36
bat

My game world is kind of The Hobbit meets The Black Company in Hyperborea/Zothique by CAS. No black powder or lost "hi-tech". Just a weird fantasy world with twists and turns to keep the players from getting stuck in a rut.
bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:20 AM   #37
dmgrafton

I was a DM back in the 80s playig D&D 2e and also played Melee and Wizard. Back then I did my own world, which was very extensive, like many, with histories, documented alphabets, geneologies, maps of cities, taverns, castles, wayside cottages, many dungeons, and extensive wilderness, etc. I recently with retirement picked up rpg gaming and really wanted to find a good system for solo play. TFT works well to an extent for solo play, so I've successfully married TFT with another solo rpg rules system that is great at self drivng stories and themes, but is not great at combat. TFT seems by far the best for combat. So, I went all in to create a new world that follows the general parameters of Cidri but is 100% my own.I have found for solo play you have to have a world that is "young" with some villages and cities...but it can't be too defned because the game play helps generate stories that eventually build the world's history as you play. So my world is a less advanced than Cidri. So in away I myself function as part GM but that aspect happens between sessions as I build aspects of the world or special encounter tables to fit the world as needed and only as far as needed. . Myself and two others have been playing this way for a number of months and are having a blast with all of it...the random dungeon crawling...the combat...and the really cool slf generating stories embedded in this new world I've developed.
dmgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:05 PM   #38
Skarg

^ That sounds great! :-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #39
43Supporter

I use it for RP in the _OGRE_ universe -- esp. my "OGREs In SPAAAAAAAACE!" unofficial universe.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:21 AM   #40
Chris Rice

The current Campaign I’m running is real back to basics, using only Melee at the start. The characters begin in the Arena and have to fight to survive. This allows them to learn the basic mechanics without too much rule bloat. They gain an attribute point with every victory but eventually their luck will run out so how far do they push it? At a later stage the survivors will add the IN score and they can choose Talents to go out into the wider world.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote