Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-19-2020, 01:33 AM   #1
Grej

Default Timing question (Wand of Dowsing, Theft, Garage Sale)

Some actions require some time to resolve them (theft, Wand of Dowsing, Garagw Sale etc). Another players can play cards while Player is resolving action (searching card with WoD, for example), but these cards will take place after the action will be completed.
Question: can player play his cards too while his another action haven't been resolved yet?

The case 1:

I played WoD and started dowsing. Player A played Curse 1, then Player B played Curse 2 on me. This curses will take place after my dowsing, but I want to annihilate Curse 1. But I have do it immediately after Player A played Curse 1 and before Player 2 played Curse 2. Can I play Annihilation on Curse 1 while action of "WoD" isn't completed yet? Or I can Annihilate Curse 1 after dowsing?

The case 2:
I played "Garage Sale" in combat to take card from discards, and immediately, before searching, i played potion in combat (to prevent playing Annihilation on "Garage sale"). Did I play legally?
Grej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Timing question (Wand of Dowsing, Theft, Garage Sale)

You are asking complicated timing questions involving multiple player/card interactions, so I've moved this to the main Munchkin forum. We try to keep Munchkin 101 limited to SIMPLE questions (and I do mean questions, not conversations or discussions -- if you aren't asking a question in 101, you're probably posting in the wrong place, unless you're me or MunchkinMan).

My short answer to your first question is that Annihilation sort of exists outside the timeline, much like a Wishing Ring would. If you're in the middle of an actual and someone Curses you to affect the result, you're allowed to interrupt your own action to cancel that Curse and get back to what you were doing.

In your second question, however, you're not using a card to cancel someone else's already played action -- you're interrupting your own actual to play something to protect yourself in advance. To me, that's NOT a legal play. You've chosen an action to take and then tried to sneak a second action in there while the first is still being resolved. That might work in other games, but it's something that fits Munchkin.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote