Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Cestus question

If you wear two Cesti are you at -2 on your DX? https://thefantasytrip.game/resources/errata/
Old 08-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #12
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
But, not to worry, I'm sure somebody will find fault and tell me off.
Hi Warhorse,
Well, I wouldn't start a sentence with "But". ;-) Just kidding. I couldn't help myself.

BTW, any way you find the game fun for yourself and your friends is the right way. Two weapon attacks in HTH? I don't see any rules for or against it, so this would be GM's call. What you said makes sense if it is allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If you wear two Cesti are you at -2 on your DX? https://thefantasytrip.game/resources/errata/
Hi Henry,
I take it you mean this line from the Errata:
110 – The DX penalty for a main-gauche should be -1.
I am not sure this applies. Is this only when the MG is parrying? Is there parrying in HTH? I think not. I am not even sure how this applies in the normal context, much less HTH. Presumably it is applied to your main weapon attack.

The errata looks questionable. Look at the very next line:
111 – Add new sentence after the first one. "Like a small shield, it carries a -1 DX penalty."
A small shield has a 0 DX penalty, not a -1 DX penalty.

Both of the above lines are about the MG.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
hcobb

If a pair of Cesti act like two Main Gauche then they carry twice the penalty of one.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:54 PM   #14
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
If a pair of Cesti act like two Main Gauche then they carry twice the penalty of one.
There needs to be more description of how that -1 DX works. Does it only apply to the attack of the main weapon? or to both weapons (thus making the main gauche attack really a -5)? or to your over-all adjDX just like a large shield (affect all adjDX saves just like armor, just by wearing it)?

And it does not help that it says it is the same DX adjustment as a small shield. That just adds more uncertainty to what they are saying.

All the above is before even considering using two Cesti or MG.

BTW, the character cards with Main Gauches do not have their DX reduced by -1. Nor does the errata correct for this and it does have other character card corrections. The ones with shields have it affect their adjDX. See Brant, Simonn, Tyvara and Laurel. So the errata is inconsistent with regards to this -1 DX.

Last edited by Axly Suregrip; 08-13-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #15
larsdangly

As I suspected, we are all resorting to making up a house rule because nothing has been suggested in RAW. I would say the conservative approach would be to call on the generic 'base' two-weapon rules (-6 with each) rather than pasting together specialized cases that get enabled by specific combinations of talents and gear. I.e., just treat your fist (knee, bite, etc.) as a generic weapon, and see what the rules say about that. They say you are +4 DX for one attack in HTH, plus -6 DX for two attacks = -2 for each (two attacks in HTH). If you have two weapon talent, a generous GM might rule that applies to your 'weapon' like fists. Though I don't think that was the intent. Cestus is a special case because it is unique gear that requires a unique talent to 'unlock' (like other special cases, e.g., net a trident, two nunchucks, etc.).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Hi Henry,
Actual the rule says a single cestus goes by the main guache rules. Two cesti has its own DX penalty of -3 DX each.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #17
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Brass Knuckles question

Cestus is a Talent allowing one to utilize metal strapped to one's hands to create more damage.

Brass Knuckles do not take a Talent to use.
  • What is the damage rating of Brass Knuckles?
  • Since it slips on easily and really doesn't interfere with movement, could Brass Knuckles be used with Unarmed Combat? (Yes I know that it says "must have both hands free." But you can still hold things in the hands with Brass Knuckles.)

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
hcobb

I'd give Brass Knuckles +1 damage that can be stacked with Brawling, but not Unarmed Combat. 0.2 pounds, $10 or more if hidden in trick gloves, etc.

Half plate or higher armor includes this built in.