Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Combat speed question

A GM’s helpfulness level goes a long way to helping with this. Offering novice players suggestions like “It’s your turn. Do you want to deceptive stab him in the vitals, that’d be 14 or less?” with a promise that you’ll backtrack a bit if your suggestions really screw them (i.e. move them somewhere with a foe in their rear arc) really improves game speed while teaching the game.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
Kalzazz

DFRPG monsters have high HT and can take a lot of killing. This does slow some.

The more the DM provides info 'How far is it, how big is It' etc the faster people can choose actions
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
DFRPG monsters have high HT and can take a lot of killing. This does slow some.
DFRPG heroes often have pretty high damage output. A knight with weapon master (broadsword), striking ST 2, and ST +1 (total 40 of his 60 flex points) does 3d+6 cut per hit.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #14
Kalzazz

Sure. And it will still take him quite a while to put down many foes. Most foes eont fail KO checks anytime soon from deceptive body blows, and he lacks the skill to combine say targeting the skull with deceptive
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Sure. And it will still take him quite a while to put down many foes. Most foes
Define what you mean by 'most foes'? Looking at what's intended to be a pretty tough fight, against an ice wyrm (which doesn't have a brain or vitals anyway) he can get a deceptive (-3) rapid strike at 14- (20, +5 for SM, -6 for deceptive, -3 for rapid, -2 for bad footing); if the wyrm uses a retreat real hit probability is still upwards of 50%. It will take three hits to blow off the wyrm's ice armor (ablative DR 42), another three to get it below 0 HT, at which point it's an average of 4 turns before it falls unconscious. That's a pretty long time in GURPS, but it's also a boss fight that is almost certainly not intended to be soloed.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #16
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Define what you mean by 'most foes'? Looking at what's intended to be a pretty tough fight, against an ice wyrm (which doesn't have a brain or vitals anyway) he can get a deceptive (-3) rapid strike at 14- (20, +5 for SM, -6 for deceptive, -3 for rapid, -2 for bad footing); if the wyrm uses a retreat real hit probability is still upwards of 50%. It will take three hits to blow off the wyrm's ice armor (ablative DR 42), another three to get it below 0 HT, at which point it's an average of 4 turns before it falls unconscious. That's a pretty long time in GURPS, but it's also a boss fight that is almost certainly not intended to be soloed.
Try something more like a Draug (who has very respectable defenses after you pile on medium shield DB and 15 HT), or a Pudding (who just really doesn't care about your puny 3d+6 damage), a Golem-Armor Swordsman (who the knight will struggle to noticeably injure on a hit) or even an earth elemental (solid DR, good HP) none of which are even "boss fights" but can go toe to toe with a knight for a good long time. They all make HT checks more often than they don't.

Each one of those HT checks doesn't care about the one that came before, so also keep in mind that an average of 4 turns can easily turn out to be 8 or 10. In my experience, a monster who doesn't quit due to GM fiat or Fragile:Unnatural goes down to failed HT checks 1 time in 5, more often, the players end up softening it up and going for decisive brain blow long before body blows add up to a kill by failed HT.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #17
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Each one of those HT checks doesn't care about the one that came before, so also keep in mind that an average of 4 turns can easily turn out to be 8 or 10. In my experience, a monster who doesn't quit due to GM fiat or Fragile:Unnatural goes down to failed HT checks 1 time in 5, more often, the players end up softening it up and going for decisive brain blow long before body blows add up to a kill by failed HT.
I often see PCs focusing on crippling the limbs of opponents or otherwise incapacitating them (blind them and lead them to the pit, etc). Once the opponent can't meaningfully threaten the group, I usually just narrate the finish ("You engage in the grim task of reducing the elemental to rubble"). Puddings and those sorts are more challenging because they lack many of these vulnerabilities.

I like the fact that DFRPG provides a variety of ways to defeat most foes; reducing HP to deep negatives isn't always required.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #18
finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheoteour View Post
How is the speed of combat in DFRPG compared to regular GURPS? My group plays a regular GURPS game and, for me, the combat always felt very very slow. Is DRRPG much faster?
Combat speed for both systems are basically the same.

The rules of DFRPG will be easier to navigate than GURPS, because GURPS rules not applicable to Dungeon Fantasy genre will be absent from DFRPG books. This will make it easier to learn the rules, which should speed up combat.

Last edited by finn; 11-09-2019 at 08:03 AM.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote