Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: Marvel/DC World-Character Supers Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
You can't kill Ares in the middle of a world war, on a battlefield.
If it helps, he wasn't on a battlefield. It was a research base (with airfield) behind the lines.

Though that may be putting too much weight on proximity, since there's a whole world war going on. Is Ares governed by an inverse-square law for absorbing mana from conflict? Or perhaps even a higher exponent. (Here's where you at home get to play with your own equations.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Looking for help building Venom/Carnage, Constantine, Swamp-Thing, Gambit, and Nightcrawler, Phantasm has warned me that the reboot project he does won't be including the Marvel characters for a while at the very least
Venom is mostly Spiderman with Sharp Teeth. Carnage adds a generic Cutting/Impaling attack maybe with Stretching too. More in terms of Special Effects than mechanics might be a sort of "ick" factor that might e a low level Terror effect.

Constantine depends on GM-level decisions about how you want to do flexible "ritual" magic. Maybe some sort of Modular Abilities with significant amounts of Preparation Required. Otherwise he's a normal human with a lot of "lore" Skills and a really bad attitude.

Swamp Thing would have Permeation Plant Material with mods from Powers to let him do that "manifest anywhere in the world" stunt. Also IT:Homogenous and lots of Regeneration.

For Nightcrawler there's some discussion in Supers about multi-Teleport attacks that seems to be the most commonly problematic issue. I don't think it's actually worth much agonizing over. It could be reduced to "Area Effect:Mooks Only".

Gambit has an Innate attack with Variable and Explosive and a "must use physical objects" Limitation that's so broad it's probably -0%.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Gambit has an Innate attack with Variable and Explosive and a "must use physical objects" Limitation that's so broad it's probably -0%.
"Based On Throwing Art Skill, -0%" would probably be how I'd do it, honestly, using his Throwing Art to aim it rather than the Innate Attack skill.

Venom I'd consider adding some Invisibility (Danger Sense (ESP)) as well, since Spidey's spider-sense can't or won't detect him. I don't know if any of the folks with other flavors of Danger Sense would be ambushed by him or not.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
"Based On Throwing Art Skill, -0%" would probably be how I'd do it, honestly, using his Throwing Art to aim it rather than the Innate Attack skill.
Which Skill to aim it with is no big deal but Gambit doesn't have to throw his explosively charged objects. I've seen him put a modest charge on a playing card and slip it into the card reader slot of an electronic lock.

Come to think of it I once saw him charge up the engine of a railroad train. It was complicated and Bishop was involved too.

At any rate it's only "must touch physical object".
Old 01-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Venom is mostly Spiderman with Sharp Teeth. Carnage adds a generic Cutting/Impaling attack maybe with Stretching too. More in terms of Special Effects than mechanics might be a sort of "ick" factor that might e a low level Terror effect.

Was more looking for stats on the symbiotes themselves.

Each does do more then just give them a striker. I seem to remember Symbiote spidey being stronger, and of course there was the sybiotes personality.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
GreatWyrmGold

Quote:
Each does do more then just give them a striker. I seem to remember Symbiote spidey being stronger, and of course there was the sybiotes personality.
Then add in a greater ST bonus and some disadvantages like Berserk, Callous, Creepy As Heck*. Simple.

*May not be the actual disadvantage name.
GreatWyrmGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #17
Phantasm

A quick and dirty version of Nightcrawler, lacking point values.

Nightcrawler
Age: early 20s when he joined the X-Men, roughly 30 now in mainstream comics
Group Affiliation: X-Men, formerly Excalibur.

Attributes:
ST 11
DX 16
IQ 11
HT 14

Secondary Characteristics:
Dmg 1d-1/1d+1
BL 24 lbs.
HP 12
Will 12
Per 12
FP 14
Basic Speed 6.00
Basic Move 6
Dodge 12

Languages:
English (Native)
German (Native) (Native Language)
Russian (Accented)

Advantages:
Ally (Amanda Sefton/Jimaine Szardos, Sorceress; equal in power) (12)
Ambidexterity
Appearance (Handsome)
Clinging
Combat Reflexes
Enhanced Dodge 2 (factored in above)
Enhanced Parry 3 (Swords)
Extra Arm 1 (Tail; Extra-Flexible)
Invisibility (Accessibility: Must Be in Shadows; Partial; Reflexive; Switchable; Unconscious Only)
Sharp Teeth
Warp (Blink; Extra Carrying Capacity: Extra-Heavy (carry 240 lbs); No Strain; Nuissance Effect: BAMF!; Reliable +10; Range Limit: 3 miles east/west, 5 miles north/south, 1 mile up/down)
Weapon Master (Swords)

Perks:
Fur (thin velvet)

Disadvantages:
Code of Honor (Hero's)
Dependent (Amanda Sefton/Jimaine Szardos; Loved One; equal in point value) (6)
Social Stigma (Freak/Demonic Appearance)
Wealth (Struggling)

Quirks:
Devout Catholic
Incorrigible Flirt
Loves Swashbuckler Movies

Skills:
Acrobatics (H) DX+4 - 20
Broadsword (A) DX+2 - 18
Climbing (A) DX+0 - 16
Leadership (A) IQ+3 - 14
Karate (H) DX+0 - 16
Performance (Circus Trapeze Acts) (E) IQ+1 - 12*
Piloting (High-Performance Aircraft) (A) DX-1 - 15 (for the X-Jet/Blackbird)
Rapier (A) DX+2 - 18
Running (A) HT+0 - 14

Techniques:
Acrobatic Stand - 20
Triple Weapon Attack (Broadsword) - 18
Triple Weapon Attack (Rapier) - 18
Triple Weapon Defense (Broadsword) - 16
Triple Weapon Defense (Rapier) - 16

Gear:
Holograhic Disguise/Image Inducer, courtesy of Professor X, built by Tony Stark, which grants him a technological version of Elastic Skin, letting him appear as anyone (he often chooses to appear as someone a lot like Errol Flynn when using it). (He basically stopped using it in public after Wolverine dared him to walk down the main street of Salem Center without it, and he got hit on by every woman he met.)

Will occasionally use up to three Edged Rapiers at once.

* Optional Specialty

In his "Year One" incarnation, I would be tempted to add "Enemy (Margali Szardos; Unknown (to him); Hunter)", as she blames him for the death of her son, Stefan.

Triple Weapon Attack and Triple Weapon Defense are the same as the Dual-Weapon Attack and Dual-Weapon Defense techniques listed in Martial Arts, only accounting for the fact he can wield three at once.

It's a little-known fact that Kurt was selected by Professor X to lead the X-Men in the field when Cyclops and Storm were both unavailable, and he was the acknowledged though unofficial leader of Excalibur during the team's first incarnation.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-03-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #18
Bengt

Gambit can do quite a lot of stuff besides just charging objects, http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Remy_LeBeau_(Earth-616). Most feats have references if you want to look them up.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #19
Bengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Nightcrawler
If you want to keep it up to date he is also immortal since the last resurrection. X-Men Gold 17-18 has him teleport blindly and get a big piece of statue in his torso, but it only stuns him because he is "banned from heaven".
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #20
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
If you want to keep it up to date he is also immortal since the last resurrection. X-Men Gold 17-18 has him teleport blindly and get a big piece of statue in his torso, but it only stuns him because he is "banned from heaven".
I wasn't aware of that, but then I stopped reading the X-titles around the time of Operation: Zero Tolerance. Newest X-Men in the roster then were Marrow, Maggot, Cannonball (before he went back to X-Force), and Cecelia Reyes.

And we're banned from Heaven ev'ryone.
Banned from Heaven just for havin' a little fun.
Saint Pete he wants the back of us
He went and slammed the door
Now Heaven doesn't want us anymore (I wonder why....)

Tags
3rd edition, supers, world building